• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Manga] Professor Munakata's British Museum Adventure

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
British Museum Press

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Have you ever heard of Professor Munakata Tadakusu?

He is the protagonist of a successful series of manga created by Yukinobu and published weekly in Japanese manga magazine, Big Comic.

The ten episodes have been collected in one beautifully illustrated book by the British Museum Press and will be published in October. This is the very first time Professor Munakata is available in English!

http://www.britishmuseum.org/PDF/Professor%20Munakata%20page.pdf

Usually preoccupied with solving mysteries in Japan, the Professor of ethnography found himself embroiled in a mysterious criminal plot in the British Museum after a small display of Yukinobu’s work was shown there in 2009.

Esteemed for his expert knowledge, the Professor is invited to deliver a lecture at the British Museum on mythology and folklore. But when the Stonehenge megaliths suddenly disappear during his visit, the Professor must immerse himself in the history and deep-seated rivalries of Europe to foil a sinister scheme that endangers the museum and many of its most important collections.

Here is the link to The Guardian review, where you can also have a look at the beautiful artwork - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/14/professor-munakata-british-museum

We are so looking forward to it!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping it actually comes out this time - I pre-ordered it the last time it was announced.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Looks good, I will be sure to look out for it.
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Not read it yet, but I snagged a copy at London Expo last weekend and it's really well made. Colour pages in the front and rear of the book, larger format and a distinct 'new book' smell which to be honest I don't think will ever go away. Laughing
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
The protagonist's name 'Munakata Tadakusu' is modelled on 'Minakata Kumagusu', who was a famous real-life folklorist and naturalist.
Minakata Kumagusu worked at the British Museum.

In his famous 'personal history', Minakata wrote:
Quote:
それより、この人の手引きで(他の日本人とかわり、日本公使館などの世話を経ずに)直ちに大英博物館に入り思うままに学問上の便宜を得たることは今日といえどもその例なきことと存じ候。大英博物館にては主として考古学、人類学および宗教部に出入し、只今も同部長たる、サー・チャーレス・ヘルチュレス・リード氏を助け、また殊に東洋図書頭サー・ロバート・ダグラス(この人は大正と改元する少し前に四十年勤続ののち辞職せるを世界中の新紙に賞賛止まず、本邦の諸大新聞にも何のことやら分らずに、ほめ立てたり)と、余汝の交りをなし、『古今図書集成』などは縦覧禁止なりしも小生に限り自在に持ち出しを許されたり(大英博物館日本書籍目録ダグラス男の序に小生の功を挙げたり)。この大英博物館に凡そ六年ばかり居りし。館員となるべく色々すすめられたれども、人となれば自在ならず、自在なれば人とならずで、自分は至って勝手千万な男ゆえ辞退して就職せず、ただ館員外の参考人たりしにとどまる。そのあいだ、抄出、また、全文を写しとりし、日本などでは見られぬ珍書五百部ばかりあり、中本大の五十三冊一万八百頁にわたり、それをとじた鉄線がおいおい錆びるには、こまり切り居り候。
 右のダグラス男の官房で始めて孫逸仙と知人となれり。逸仙方へは毎度遊びにゆきて逸仙また小生の家に遊びに来れり。

Minakata was a close friend of Sūn Wén.

Some manga artists, including Mizuki Shigeru, Kishi Daimurō, and Uchida Shungiku, drew manga about Minakata Kumagusu.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
I re-read Professor Munakata Denki-kō Volume 1 in the original, and also re-read a few books by Yanagita Kunio and Orikuchi Shinobu.

Yanagita Kunio wrote:
 ミコが「神の子孫」の義であることに就いては自分は前に數百言を費して居る。而も近世の巫女の仲間に在つて、此有利なる證據を援用する者が尠いのは寧ろ不思議のやうである。村里を巡囘する旅の口寄は勿論とんと身上話をしない。昔からの大社に於ては時として神裔神に仕ふるの例あること記錄に遺り、或は東洋諸國に最も普遍なる三子分立の口碑を傳へたものも少くは無いが、其主張は重に大祝や別當の筋に在ることで、巫女の家は却つて之に與つて居らぬ。併し自分の如きは寧ろ此事實を以て巫女神孫說の由來稍〻久しいものであることを證明せんとする者である。

Orikuchi Shinobu wrote:
長い旅から戾つて顧ると、随分、色んな人に逢うた。殊に爲事の係りあひから、神職の方々の助勢を、煩すことが多かつた。中にはまだ、昔懷しい長袖らしい氣持ちを革めぬ向きもあつたが、槪して、世間の事情に通曉した人々の數の方が、どちらかと言へば澤山であつたのには、實際思ひがけぬ驚きをした。此ならば「神職が世事に疎い。頑冥固陋で困る」など言ひたがる敎訓嗜きの人々の、やいた世話以上の效果が生じて居る。而も、生じ過ぎて居たのは、案外であつた。社地の杉山の立ち木何本。此價格何百圓乃至何千圓円。そろばん量りの目をせゝる事を卑しんで、高楊枝で居た手は、新聞の相場表をとりあげる癖がつきかけて居る。所謂「官の人」である爲には、自分の奉仕する神社の經濟狀態を知らない樣では、實際曠職と言はねばならぬ。
併しながら此方面の才能ばかりを、神職の人物判定の標準に限りたくはない。又其筋すぢの人たちにしても、其邊の考へは十二分に持つてかゝつて居るはずである。だが、此調子では、やがて神職の事務員化の甚しさを、歎かねばならぬ時が來る。收歛の臣を忌んだのは、一面敎化を度外視する事務員簇出の弊に堪へないからと言はれよう。政治の理想とする所が、今と昔とで 變つて來て居るのであるから、思想方面にはなまじひの參與は、ない方がよいかも知れぬ。唯、一鄕の精神生活を預つて居る神職に、引き宛てゝ考へて見ると、單なる事務員では困るのである。社有財產を殖し、明細な報告書を作る事の外に、氏子信者の數へきれぬ程の魂を托せられて居ると言ふ自覺が、持ち續けられねばならぬ。

Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Translation, please?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1