• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga and Anime: diffrences of popularity

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Idea of this thread was planted in my brain long ago when I saw ANN's forums statistics.

Anime
Topics:18051
Manga
Topics:4174

That's not just ANN's issue. On portal where links to anime and manga reviews written by the same people are exposed equally the latests got several times less readers and comments. Why? Manga market seems to be more diverse than anime's. It covers lots of aspects not common in anime (eq: medical drama). So why statistic are so bad?

Hypothesis

1)People prefer watching to reading
Noooo... so many people praise subs, so anime fans can and like reading. But to be honest it might be the most important cause. Manga doesn't sing and dance, has no colours etc.

2) Differences in availability.
How to mention it and not earn ban... Well... It's more convenient to pirate moving pictures. Pirated anime doesn't lose quality. You can pirate it with 1mbps Net and old computer, burn on DVD and be happy. Reading from monitor (unless you are lucky owner of expensive reader) is annoying. Printing on your own is not much less expensive.
Anime tends to get translations (official or fan) quicker. Unless it's WMT masterpiece or Queen Millennia or obscure '80s series you can be sure it would be available somewhere. Manga scanlations, especially for long-running series tends to be dropped and picked up by various groups, so you can wait 2 years for 4 volumes. If the manga covers unpopular subject with advanced language (like medical or serious historical) it has double problem: publishers won't publish it, because it's too obscure, while fans has not enough skills to do the translations.

3) Everybody reads the manga
It's just the problem for two readers to stick together. Anime series are limited by screen and broadcast time, just a few of them are aired simultaneously, so everybody watch the same things. Meanwhile in manga world we have tons of one shots short series and long runners that had started long before most of the readers were born. People read what really interest them- history lovers can pick up stories from various eras, countries and styles, doctors can envy Black Jack, smile with Godhand Theru or nod with understanding over "Say Hello to Black Jack" protagonist. The only problem is that's hardly to find anyone on the same level as we and share our opinions.

Any other thoughts? Ideas?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The only manga I read are ones where the anime ends prematurely and the manga is still going (originally FMA, Soul Eater, Seikon no Qwaser, Konjiki no Gash Bell, etc) or if it just catches my attention.

But yeah, overall, I prefer anime. I find not as much enjoyment out of the story without awesome seiyuu, music, OP/ED themes, and various things. Action series especially, action in motion just looks so much cooler than on paper. Manga has more variety, sure, I can agree to that, but anime has plenty of variety on it's own so it's never an issue for me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
So why statistic are so bad?

Because ANN is in English, and mostly American, where anime has a longer, wider, and more influential distribution history than manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, a lot of people get into anime through anime rather than through manga, it's more easily accessible due to t.v and fansubs. I know some people who are anime fans but barely read manga. Another thing is demographics - while anime and manga fandom has a pretty diverse fanbase in terms of gender, there are more female readers of manga than males (and of all books in general), so maybe this also factors into how many people discuss manga.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
So why statistic are so bad?

Because ANN is in English, and mostly American, where anime has a longer, wider, and more influential distribution history than manga.

Manga has been available in English for twenty years or so. I bet half of the ANN members are younger than that. But what may have played a role is that watching anime has been a group activity for a long time. Early fans watched anime at animeclubs and later on at conventions. Manga, well, I guess you could trade comics for with friends, but it's not as if you read them together. While viewing habits have changed, anims place in the fandom hasn't. It's always animecon, never mangacon, isn't it? Since it's the biggest part of the fandom, it's also the most likely gateway for new fans. And that ties in with...

Quote:

1. People prefer watching to reading

Introducing someone to anime is easy. Just pop in some Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon on movie night. Giving someone a manga is like saying 'I expect you to sit down and read this', especially if that someone isn't much of a reader. Lots of people aren't really into reading, sadly. Placing a burden on someone is not a smooth introduction.

That said, I have noticed that many older fans start to graviate towards manga. It's easier to make time for some manga, since you can read it wherever and whenever without bothering anyone. If you want to watch anime, you need a suitable screen connected to your prefered player. If you live together with other people, you may need to wait until said screen and player are free. Or you could watch it somewhere else, somewhere uncomfortable like your desk. But if you've spend most of your day sitting at your desk, you want to sit somewhere else when you get home.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
It's always animecon, never mangacon, isn't it?

In United States, that is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
And most of Europe.

I wouldn't compare Japanese conventions to conventions as we know them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
And most of Europe.

We don't even have any anime convention in Taiwan. Rolling Eyes
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's hard. In all honesty I prefer manga because I love reading. While there's nothing quite like a moving animation of breathtaking scenarios, there's a certain appeal to simply reading printed work and letting your imagination weave the story for you. The only downside of manga for me is that it's colorless. It's not really a big deal but I want my aesthetics. I guess people generally prefer anime over manga because reading can be so tedious. There's just less effort in watching events unfold right before your eyes. That's what my friends who prefer movies over books tell me, at least. Plus, animation has gone a long way and the most recent shows, be it anime or movies, are really catchy. I sometimes watch shows just for the sake of animation so that's probably one answer.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
That said, I have noticed that many older fans start to graviate towards manga. It's easier to make time for some manga, since you can read it wherever and whenever without bothering anyone.

Definitely accurate in my case, especially since we've had children. It's much more practical to read a chapter or two than seclude myself with the laptop or dominate 'the family tv'.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
i prefer manga because I've alwaysloved comics, my mum got me to learn to read with 2000AD, saw some anime on TV and liked it and when i lerned that the vast majority of anime was taken from comics I started investigating em grabbing hold of old dark horse releases of appleseed and the like.

These days I gte alot of manga because its cheaper and easier to get than most anime and also its all source material for the most part so all the story elements are in tact, theres a certain degree of content freedom that has to be taken out of anime to widen apeal or make it suitable for TV and also theres just more stuff out there, not every comic gets an anime.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
And most of Europe.

We don't even have any anime convention in Taiwan. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I've never been to Taiwan nor do I know what their conventions are like. I thought this was going to be a 'but in Japan...!'-argument. Which is kind of besides the point anyway, since I thought the gocus would like on countries whose animefans visit such as ANN: the US, Canada, Australia, UK, and some other European countries that are not France or Germany.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
It's always animecon, never mangacon, isn't it?...[]...That said, I have noticed that many older fans start to graviate towards manga. It's easier to make time for some manga, since you can read it wherever and whenever without bothering anyone. If you want to watch anime, you need a suitable screen connected to your prefered player. If you live together with other people, you may need to wait until said screen and player are free. Or you could watch it somewhere else, somewhere uncomfortable like your desk. But if you've spend most of your day sitting at your desk, you want to sit somewhere else when you get home.

And people always say "anime & manga," never "manga & anime."

Regarding older fans gravitating towards manga, I think that's also due to manga having more creative freedom, and featuring more storylines that appeal to a mature audience (and I don't mean mature in the "tits and gore" way). After all, an anime takes a big commercial planning committee to get made. Manga just needs a a single artist, and even under editorial control, there are plenty of alternative magazines, plus the uncontrolled world of doujinshi.
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
A big problem with manga vs anime is that they take up a lot of space. A single volume takes up as much space as an entire season of anime, given the reduced packaging that they use these days.

Manga is also drastically more expensive, given you can buy that season of anime for around $20-40, and manga are $10 each, or more. For example, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was on 5 sets, and could be found for about $25 each, or $125 for the entire series. The manga had 27 volumes, and let's say you found it on sale for $7.50 a volume. That's still over $200 for the series. over 60% more, not to mention the vastly higher storage costs (let's face it, we don't all live in mansion; a lot of us are just renting rooms or small apartments). Of course, when you factor in streaming, the cost to simply watch the anime goes to zero (barring the cost of sitting through ads).
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Manga is also drastically more expensive, given you can buy that season of anime for around $20-40, and manga are $10 each, or more. For example, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was on 5 sets, and could be found for about $25 each, or $125 for the entire series. The manga had 27 volumes, and let's say you found it on sale for $7.50 a volume. That's still over $200 for the series. over 60% more, not to mention the vastly higher storage costs (let's face it, we don't all live in mansion; a lot of us are just renting rooms or small apartments).

Or, you know, you could get the box set for $138. Comes in a convenient case and everything!

Though sorry, yes, what you said is generally true. Manga are normally more expensive than anime. I have both the Ghost Hunt anime and manga. I found the anime for $17, meanwhile the equivalent amount of manga cost me around...$50? And they definitely take up more space on my shelf.

However, seeing how big pirating is, I'd say it's less of a cost or storage issue, and more of a "people would rather watch movies on their computer, rather than read books." -_-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3