• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
scifi animes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
I am somewhat of a science fiction person (fantasy too) and i was wondering if there exists any scifi anime that does not have giant robots. More of philosphical points of view.
I'd say Ghost in the shell is the kind of thing im looking for but without the detectiveness/cops. If you ever read 2001: A space odessy; thats what im sort of looking for. Question raising stuff.

Or the complete opposit; A militaristic (still no giant robots) destructive...nothing but complete mayhem. Aliens would be cool too. Sort of like Iria
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, and Banner of the Stars II.

Probably the BEST sci-fi anime series (or series of series) to have ever been produced.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
i was wondering if there exists any scifi anime that does not have giant robots. More of philosphical points of view.

I suggest "Planetes" :
anime#2654

Very funny anime in a near future with political and philosophical points of view.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, and Banner of the Stars II.

I agree. The Sekai series has a little bit of everything, but doesn't need a bunch of mechs for that over-the-top feeling.

I'm on Banner II now, and I must say this entire series is Excellent in terms of story, continuity, and character development.

It has political and philosophical themes (though thankfully not as convoluted and ornate as something like Eva), a little action to add some extra drama (beyond much of the talking), a GREAT soundtrack that, to me, is reminiscent of a mix between Star Trek and Star Wars, and most of all, I love the relationship between the two main characters, Jinto and Lafiel.

If you look under the genre types for these series you'll notice it also says "romance" and I agree 100%. It's not an outright display of it, but it's very subtle and I enjoyed seeing it develop over time (it's kind of cute actually Razz).

The only problem I have with the series is that each one feels a bit short to me, but I suppose it's better than having another 13 episodes of possible filler for each incarnation.

But please do check it out. Oh, and if you do, do it subbed. I'm starting to dislike Blue Water even more now, almost as much as ADV. The only thing that keeps me from putting them at the same level or below is the fact that I thought they (Blue Water) did an almost decent job with G Gundam, where as I've yet to like anything ADV. But if you've heard the Angel Links dub, that's just so bad, I'm sure even ADV could do better. Yeah, Blue Water's that bad to me Laughing, but still not the worst Razz.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i have seen about 5 episodes of crest of the stars and thought it was fairly good...though the episodes I have seen were not consecutive (conflicted with other anime schedueling).

Any others?
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Actually, Planetes is NOT a comedy, it's a drama and a very well done one as well. It's also the closest anime series I've seen to having science fact (though it's still very much sci-fi), which is cool as well from my perspective as an engineering major.
Sakurazukamori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Actually, Planetes is NOT a comedy, it's a drama and a very well done one as well.

It's a drama and it's also a comedy as well.
And I agree, Planetes has a lot of science facts & stuff, very convincing.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Let me put it this way: in Planetes, motion in zero-G is done right, and there is no sound in space (unless a conductive medium is established). On these counts alone, the story is way ahead of most other "science fiction" stories that somehow manage to leave out the science part...

As science fiction, it works. As storytelling, it works very well indeed. It's a great story, a masterpiece of the medium, and I urge you to see it.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I've read the Planetes manga and its very well done. I will buy the anime when Bandai decides to release it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Let me put it this way: in Planetes, motion in zero-G is done right, and there is no sound in space (unless a conductive medium is established). On these counts alone, the story is way ahead of most other "science fiction" stories that somehow manage to leave out the science part...

As science fiction, it works. As storytelling, it works very well indeed. It's a great story, a masterpiece of the medium, and I urge you to see it.

- abunai

Its not in english or hasn't had an american realease though, right?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The answer is Matsumoto. Find any Harlock or Harlock related series, OAV, or movie and you'll get a kick out of it. Also, there's Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers.

For something a little more modern, I'll agree with the Crest of the Stars suggestion.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Its not in english or hasn't had an american realease though, right?

Correct. Sometime this year though. Hopefully in summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
If anything, it's worth it to read up on your basic rocket science (not getting into the equations, but application of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, principle of constant thrust = constant acceleration, theory on generating artificial gravity through high speed rotation, etc.) or going to visit Kenedy Space Center or the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. to get more familiar with space travel and it's history since Planetes draws HEAVILLY from that. That is . . . if you're not familiar with it already (then, it's worth it to go to those places just for the sake of going. it's an ultimate geek road trip . . . quite fun).

That, and the Air and Space Museum's gift store still has volumes 1 and 2 of the original Macross Wink.
Meson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
Science fiction is a rather large genre. It has as many subgenres as there are genres in literature. If it uses science in some important way, it is science fiction.

An example of non-robot science fiction is Fullmetal Alchemist, which is science fiction of the subgenre fantasy. The extensive use of alchemy in the show should clued you into that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
Meson wrote:
Science fiction is a rather large genre. It has as many subgenres as there are genres in literature. If it uses science in some important way, it is science fiction.

An example of non-robot science fiction is Fullmetal Alchemist, which is science fiction of the subgenre fantasy. The extensive use of alchemy in the show should clued you into that

Shocked Argh. I have to disagree with that.

Fantasy is not a subgenre of Science Fiction. Rather, they are "cousins", both being subgenres of the genre called, variously, Fantastic Literature or Speculative Fiction.

They do overlap, of course - in such fields as "space opera" (e.g. Star Wars) or "science fantasy" (which I believe Full Metal Alchemist might belong to, with the proviso that I only know of it at second hand, not having seen it yet).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5