• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oh! My Goddess Format Changes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dark Horse made the decision to cease publication of the monthly comic-book series and begin a straight to collection program for Oh My Goddess! in non-westernized (left to right reading layouts) translated editions collecting identical material to the Japanese editions in a similar format and at a new lower price. To this end, the next Dark Horse volume of of Oh My Goddess! will be numbered as volume 21, identical in content to the Kodansha Volume 21.

So reads the end piece in volume 19/20 of OMG.

They go on to say that they'll be releasing the first 20 Kodansha volumes in the future.

And Tokyopop is getting flak for the new logo!

Don't know if I'll buy volumes 1 to 20. Depends on the price and if they keep the Japanese onomatopoeic (sound effects to you Razz)

JBV^_^
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This is rather old news. In any case, from what I've picked up from editors they will be publishing new volumes and old ones side-by-side, giving loyal fans new matterials to read and new readers an opportunity to pick up the series. Since it's still done by Studio Proteus, the exellent translation and editing (including sound effects), will remain the same. I'm pretty sure it's going to be around the $10 price range. In any case, this is a good decision. OMG! is one of the best things being published in English right now, and I'm all for expanding the audience. Plus, it will help up catch up with the Japanese edition (which is around volume 29 right now). I'm wondering if they're planning to do this with Blade of the Immortal as well, especially since it seems that it's being published much faster in Japan right now.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
The official stance on the Old format is that they'll be phased out over the next couple of years.

As to the sound effects; Well the SP ones are good, but I'd still prefer the Japanese ones Wink

JBV^_^
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seen pictures from the Japanese version of OMG!, and the effects really aren't important to the art (this is rare and the only time that I really don't want the effects translated). I can't see why people don't want them to be translated. They're there for a reason; to compliment the story. I would prefer untranslated if the company did a crappy job with them (like Tokyopop's early stuff), but they look great in OMG! and I'm sure that they're going to remain the same.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
That sounds great. I've always wanted to buy some Oh My Goddess graphic novels but the price has always hindered me. Not that I don't mind spending time in the library...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1