• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which famous Mangaka would you like to see in person?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
If you could pick any famous mangaka to meet at a convention, who would it be? Choose wisely
Edit:I accidently posted this in the wrong thread
Here are some of decisions:
Eiichiro Oda
Masashi Kishimoto
Rumiko Takahashi
Atsushi Okubo
Akira Amano, and finally Akira Toriyama
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
My choice would be Ryuta Amazume but most of his manga are strictly for adults. I love his art style and story telling, and I suppose he's not that famous because of the content and the fact that he's relatively new.

So does this thread have something to do with guest possibilities for a convention?

As for very well known mangaka my choices of ones that I've always wanted to meet are Masakazu Katsura, Rumiko Takahashi and Yuu Watase.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, TC, care to explain your choices?

Anyway, alas mine can never happen: Osamu Tezuka. He died like two months after I was born so at least I got to spend some time on this planet with his life force even if I was blissfully unaware of it. I remember reading one of the sidebars in Please Save My Earth where Saki Hiwatari mentions that she passed up a chance to meet him, within a year before he died or so, but she thought herself unworthy to meet him and passed it up Sad

But seriously, we're talking about the guy who revolutionized manga to what it is today. He made tons of genres and actually made enough works to make a cast of recurring characters that worked like actors actually work! I could see how some might view his stuff as a real dinosaur, but once you get used to his somewhat dense style, he really did make an awful lot of great manga and of such high quality that the collective of pretty much all mangaka since still haven't caught up to some of his achievements. Tezuka made some of the best manga of all time, even today they still stand up to the test, the works Tezuka did were often timeless, I can't even imagine how he came up with some of his stuff and executed it! His panelling and drawing, especially in his works starting from the 70s or so, is so modern in appearance that it's hard to think how he made that cinematic approach work so flawlessly. And the volume of work he did? Over 150,000 pages, 700 titles (according to my Art of Osamu Tezuka book), and probably thousands of characters. Quantity and quality, now that's the kind of person I want to meet, how could I not?!

Hmm, now for living mangaka? Lemme think about that and get back to you on that one. It'll probably be Fumi Yoshinaga, but I'll come up with some reasons later. Akimi Yoshida would be a nice choice too, hmmm...
Neokitty

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
how many do we get to choose lol

Kentaro Miura would be the highest on my list.

Osamu tezuka would be second. I keep finding new manga he did to read. Im on vol 6 of Princess knight. So many stories so little time for him to tell them all. When I read his stuff I remember some of his last words" Just let me work"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
CLAMP. If they were to ever stand before me I'd kiss the ground they walked on and would beg them to take me on as an assistant/slave.

Seriously. That's my dream internship there as an illustration student. Being CLAMP's intern/assistant.

I care not enough for any other manga-ka. There's tons I love, but I've worshiped CLAMP since I was about 12 - not something that's been achieved by any other manga-ka. I'm now pursuing a career in illustration with a heavy emphasis on comics because they're the ones that opened me up to the possibility that women can write best selling comics too.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quick question, does Hayao Miyazaki count? He's only done like 2 manga, but one of them is his Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Well aside from him there's a couple of duos I'd like to meet:

Tatsuhiko Takimoto & Kendi Oiwa who did Welcome to the N.H.K

Tsugumi Ohma & Takeshi Obata, the duo behind Death Note & Bakuman

Yukito Kishiro who did Battle Angel Alita and its sequel series Last Order

I could put down a lot more but this are the people I'm most interested to see in person. I'd love to have a conversation with them about the thought processes they went through to create their works, particularly Tatsuhiko Takimoto as he is/was a self-proclaimed hikikomori.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Guimer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Takamiya Keiko
Yoshimura Akemi
Moto Hagio
Wada Shinji
Miuchi Suzue (so I can ask her to finish Glass no Kamen. I've been reading that series since 1980)
Ashube Yuuho (to ask her to start work on Crystal Dragon. Been reading that one since the 80s too)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
I'd like to meet:
Naoko Takeuchi, so I can quiz her on Sailor Moon. I bet she never expected it to become as big as it did.
CLAMP, as I adore everything they've made (some more than others) and it would be wonderful to find out what they're like as people, and how they come up with such amazing fashion designs.

Yuu Watase, as Fushigi Yuugi was one of my gateway drugs into manga and I really love all her work.

Arina Tanemura, as I just really adore her stories and art.
Mitsukazu Mihara, as I'd love to also ask her how she comes up with such amazing fashion designs. Same also applies for Ai Yazawa.

Setona Mizushiro, as I'd love to know how she comes up with such creepy stories. I'd also like to meet Kaori Yuki for that reason.

Also, I'd like to meet Mikiyo Tsuda and Eiki Eiki together. I love the extra comics they put in their books and I'd love to meet them and see how they work together.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote everything I wanted to write about Tezuka.
My other choice would be Riyoko Ikeda- women who created shoujo and proved that making comics doesn't dispense from proper research. That's what I've always wanted to ask her: what was her inspiration and how she did amazing research for her every work. Of course I have some questions about particular titles too: what does she think about changes in Oniisama E's anime ending and if Oscar regret that she hadn't finished her "serious talk" with Marie Antoniette.
Nuudoru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Hirohiko Araki, the author of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I would ask him where he's hiding the stonemask so I also can have eternal youth. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but this thread is being locked because it involves too much pure listing. If anyone wants to do this idea in the future, you must give reasons why for each manga-ka you list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1