• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20th Century Boys going oop already?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but TRSI de-listings don't bode well. They've removed Vol 4 from the site, any word on certain vols going oop or hard to find? Just checked RACS and it's still on there for a decent price. Knowing Viz's history of certain vols going out of print, I wouldn't be surprised.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I usually take TRSI to be the canary in the coal mine. As odd as it is for an ongoing series to already start going OOP, I can't just discount it entirely. You can probably still get it on Amazon or even in a Borders store. TRSI also doesn't seem to carry Kekkaishi 13, which I find to be odd since Amazon has plenty of copies, so it's not always a guarantee, but I'd certainly take it seriously (especially looking at Monster). It's weird, since I got Kekkaishi 13 from TRSI and it's been delisted for a while like well over a year, but if any Kekkaishi volume likely got a low print run, I am currently assuming it to be 13.

TRSI de-listing Dr. Slump volumes gave me a heads up to get #9 at last Otakon, glad I got it for $4 cus it's going for ridiculous amounts of money online. If you want 20th Cent Boys 4, go get it somewhere else asap, just to be on the safe side I say. I don't think there's any official word, but by the time everyone finds out for sure, it's usually too late for everyone who doesn't already have a copy.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Ah dammit, another series I have recently started...

I am gonna have to speed up my buying as I only have vol1 and planned to purchase one every month until I had completed it.

It still seems to be stocked in my two regular sites (amazon and bookdepository) but I would much rather be safe than sorry. Cheers for the heads up.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
If you want 20th Cent Boys 4, go get it somewhere else asap, just to be on the safe side I say. I don't think there's any official word, but by the time everyone finds out for sure, it's usually too late for everyone who doesn't already have a copy.

Fortunately, I already have vol 4 (I have up to 13 actually), so I was really just posting here as a curiosity and a possible warning to anyone looking to get into the series. But yeah, you're totally right, people should act now if they want it as it'll probably skyrocket in price once the entire series is released *narrows eyes at Monster*.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's hardly unusual for a two year old comic to go out of print. If Viz see enough demand for new stock from distributors and retailers, they'll presumably get around to reprinting it eventually.

Monster, on the other hand, is crying out for a VizBig omnibus edition re-release.
holangjai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hrm, they might be waiting for a larger demand for their series. It's quite costly to print manga, so to make more prints of a previously released volume, they would need a certain amount to make profit. Perhaps if there's enough of a need for volume 4 than VIZ might print more.

On another note, I think I would get Monster if they decided to release it like the Japanese Kanzenban
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1