• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you want reprinted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Is there a series(released from a publisher that is still here and might still have the rights to it) that you want to buy, but it's going out of print and you hope one day it get reprinted?

I’m not asking about manga rescues, like series released by Tokyopop (or any other publisher that is no longer here) that you want other publishers to pick up.

My first choice would have to be Phoenix by Tezuka from Viz; I own volume 2, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12(they are all the new volumes I can find). Other then vol. 3, which I can find a used copy selling for around $25, the other volumes are mostly selling for around $100. The good thing about Phoenix is that it’s doesn’t really matter the order you read the volumes, so that why I brought it even though there are volumes missing in between the series. I really hope one day I can collect this whole series, without spending hundreds of dollars on it.

Another manga I want reprinted is also by Tezuka; Swallowing the Earth from DMP. I was so surprise when I first learn that DMP had pick up a Tezuka manga and was very shock how fast it got out of print. The manga was only released in 2009, and I can’t find a new copy of it anywhere.

Edit: I rewrote the intro to make it a little bit clear on what I'm asking.

Last edited by DarkRoseFairy on Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket Very Happy
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
All of Viz's older manga.

It's ridiculous how much people are charging for Basara and Phoenix.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
All of Viz's older manga.

It's ridiculous how much people are charging for Basara and Phoenix.

Yep, basically this, let's just add to the list, shall we?
-Adolf
-Banana Fish
-Please Save My Earth
-Maison Ikkoku
-Monster (not even all that old!)

I'm honestly hoping that they'll lose the rights to the Tezuka stuff (Adolf and Phoenix, and Swallowing the Earth which actually DMP) so that Vertical will immediately snatch them up and reprint them for us. The others? Well yeah, losing the license might actually help those too, Vertical are my new super heroes after all Razz I'm fortunate enough to have all of the manga that I personally listed (I don't have Basara, but would like to get a hold of it) because I have good connections (but my Adolf 1 is actually in German, and the German release is so much nicer than the Cadence one, I can tell you that much right now). Actually, Basara is available in German too...
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

I'm honestly hoping that they'll lose the rights to the Tezuka stuff (Adolf and Phoenix, and Swallowing the Earth which actually DMP) so that Vertical will immediately snatch them up and reprint them for us. The others? Well yeah, losing the license might actually help those too, Vertical are my new super heroes after all Razz
Yeah, this is my wish too, like the time when Viz doesn't have the rights to Black Jack anymore and Vertical got it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Planetes tops my list. It was published and released in full by Tokyopop before they lost the right to Kodansha manga, and they actually did a great job with the release-color glossy pages are a treat!

I've been begging Vertical to pick it up for a while now (I informally stalk Ed-I follow him on twitter & have met him at quite a few cons & book fairs), and have always been told no (once quite adamantly on twiiter w/ an exclamation point.)

I have no clue why- slice of life hard sci-fi about five volumes long is certainly up their alley. In fact, I bought the first volume of Twin Spica at a con because Ed told me that it was an inspiration for Planetes.

I guess my only hopes would be Kodansha USA- who are just starting out and getting their feet wet, so I doubt it, or Dark Horse, who tend to pick up CLAMP and plot-oriented gory titles (from Beserk to Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service), so it just doesn't seem their style. *sigh* maybe Vertical will see the light someday...
I agree with all those calling for Tezuka reprints (especially Adolf), and "classic" Shojo from Viz and CMX. Everything that Yumi Tamura (Basara, Chicago) and Saki Hiwatari (Please Save My Earth and Tower of the Future) ever worked on should be available in English.

I'd also love to see Naasica of the Valley of the Wind by Miyazaki-my library has some old editions, but it's so poorly reproduced. The text and art are crammed on the page, and I suspect that even if I had perfect vision, it'd be hard to reaad. Naasica should get a nice, deluxe reprint!

(Anyone want to join me in my mission to make Vertical reconsider their stance on Planetes? Wink )
timesteel

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:

Another manga I want reprinted is also by Tezuka; Swallowing the Earth from DMP. I was so surprise when I first learn that DMP had pick up a Tezuka manga and was very shock how fast it got out of print. The manga was only released in 2009, and I can’t find a new copy of it anywhere.

I was lucky and got one of the last ones amazon had in October of last year.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants the complete collection of Phoenix as well. I wish more of Tezuka's work was more available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'd also love to see Naasica of the Valley of the Wind by Miyazaki-my library has some old editions, but it's so poorly reproduced. The text and art are crammed on the page, and I suspect that even if I had perfect vision, it'd be hard to reaad. Naasica should get a nice, deluxe reprint!

But Nausicaa was re-released. In large format, unflipped and with good quality reproduction and colour fold-outs no less. And it's still in print. And very cheap.

Not sure what more you want Viz to do with it? Hardbacks would be nice, I guess, but I'm not sure I'd double dip for them.

---

There are a few series I'm part way through collecting with volumes that are hard to find for reasonable money - Cyborg 009, Blame!, Emma, Firefighter! Daigo Of Fire Company M, Worst and a couple of others that have already been mentioned - but, aside from Emma (and maybe Worst) I'm not sure anybody could make a profit re-releasing any of those so I'll not hold my breath.
Truered

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well at the moment what I'd like very much is for those random out of print Viz volumes to be reprinted. Being able to pick up Hayate the combat butler 12 for less than £80 used would be quite nice, as would Skip beat 13 plus other volumes being reprinted so I don't have 12 dead weight volumes stuck on my bookshelf Evil or Very Mad

Crap, I remembered having problems finding volumes 5 and 6 of Excel saga way back in 2007- just quickly went to amazon (UK) and the only option is marketplace based- though at least these are at sensible prices. It's not as though it's an abandoned series- volume 22 was released very recently, I know because I bought it.

These random OoP volumes that mainly seem to strike with viz piss me off...guess that's why I mainly sticking with yen press for any new series I decide to get Confused
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Yua Kotegawa's Line reprinted. I used to teach it in my classes, and it was a great "gateway drug" for students to get into manga, as well as a really good read. Apart from me enjoying it as a book, it has a story that students could really get behind that forced them to think about themselves and the results of their actions. It was an ADV title, so I don't know who might pick it up.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
There are so many older manga that I'd love to buy. Most of what I want to be reprinted are titles that I haven't had a chance to read like Quest for the Missing Girl, Swallowing the Earth, Hotel Harbour View, Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, Flesh Colored Horror, The Time of Botchan, Pineapple Army, Mai the Psychic Girl, ect. Now that I take a closer look at that list I think allot of what i want reprinted is works from Jiro Tanigushi and Junji Ito. It seems like a while back allot of their manga got published but now they are pretty much non existent in the modern manga market (maybe a few Junji Ito titles).

I'd also like to see Phoenix and Battle Angel Alita get re-printed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Gah, how did I forget Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga?! Not only does it need to be reprinted, it actually needs to be completed, despite being so old, it's still frighteningly accurate and still relevant and hilarious, it's really aged well!

Also, I never got to read Sanctuary (not Angel Sanctuary, mind you), though a friend said she'd lend it to me, but it also looks like something I'd like and of course, something that could sure as hell use a reprint.

I find there are two types of things I'd like to see get a reprint:
1) Something I personally missed out on, either due to not seeing it bookstores or not having been a fan at the time or simply not hearing enough about the series in time, and would thus like to get for myself. Such series include Sanctuary and Basara.
or
2) Something I already have or have read and would like other people to experience it without having trouble finding the series, maybe even finding a new fanbase with the newer fans to manga. Such series include Banana Fish, Please Save My Earth, and Firefighter Daigo.

That's weird, why were all my examples Viz manga? Hint, hint. Or does Viz just have the problem of reprinting Hot Gimmick and letting far superior stuff fall by the wayside more noticeably than other companies?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
There are so many older manga that I'd love to buy. Most of what I want to be reprinted are titles that I haven't had a chance to read like Quest for the Missing Girl, Swallowing the Earth, Hotel Harbour View, Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, Flesh Colored Horror, The Time of Botchan, Pineapple Army, Mai the Psychic Girl

Quest For The Missing Girl and the four volumes of The Times Of Botchan that have come out so far are all still in print - you can get them from bookdepository.co.uk (with free shipping to the US) if you're having trouble finding them closer to home.

Hotel Harbor View is old but still easy to find for not much money (amazon.co.uk has used copies starting at £1.00). They also have Mai The Psychic Girl for a couple of pounds per volume or, if you don't mind reading it in the original floppy comics format, you can pick those up in mint condition for one or two dollars each from anywhere that sells back issues of old comics.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor, for sure. It got canceled after two volumes, but that was well before the manga boom. I so wish Viz would do a complete release, but the older it gets, the more unlikely that seems. Same goes for No. 5. It originally sold horribly for Viz, but that was also before manga was common. Now there's more of an audience for that type of seinen (an audience Viz has helped cultivate), so I think it deserves another shot.

Also, Urusei Yatsura. With all the Takahashi love Viz has, it's actually pretty surprising they haven't done any kind of rerelease.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2