• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Episode?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hello, anime racket here! I thought it would be interesting
if there was a thread discussing individual episodes taken
from the vast multitude of anime series out there.

Here's the gig: Can you think of an episode from any anime
series that deserves special mention? Maybe it contained
an important revelation that influenced a high-quality series.
Maybe the series itself was dull, but contained an extremely
high-quality episode somewhere. If you can think of one
then please post it here. Please make sure your post is
at least 100 words long. The more indepth the better.
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Hello, anime racket here! I thought it would be interesting
if there was a thread discussing individual episodes taken
from the vast multitude of anime series out there.

Here's the gig: Can you think of an episode from any anime
series that deserves special mention? Maybe it contained
an important revelation that influenced a high-quality series.
Maybe the series itself was dull, but contained an extremely
high-quality episode somewhere. If you can think of one
then please post it here. Please make sure your post is
at least 100 words long. The more indepth the better.

I hate to tell you this but this thread might be locked by moderators unless you provide your own example.

I personally loved the episode of Trigun where Vash spoiler[kills legato]. The significance of Vash actually killing someone was massive and really struck an emotional chord with me. I really can't believe that some people rag on the show for Vash's pacifism, if they took a minute to understand the character and his back story they would realise why he acts that way.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
[/quote]

I hate to tell you this but this thread might be locked by moderators unless you provide your own example. [/quote]

Thank you for the warning. One episode that I particularly
like is "Live Alive" from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
season 1. It has a more realistic tone but the best part of the
episode is when spoiler[Haruhi sings God Knows and Lost
My Music]
as it is a truly compelling scene and the best
part of the whole series in my eyes. In addition, the episode
has a great sense of humor like spoiler[repeatedly showing Haruhi
and the other rock band members in the background, which I
did not catch until after repeated viewings.]

How is that?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Hello, anime racket here!

First, please stop posting with this format. It's distracting and unnecessary. Trust me when I say the words won't fall off the edge of the screen.

Second, the topic. This one is a fun one, and yes, I do have a favorite episode and it comes from Aria: The Origination, episode 9 titled "Enveloped By That Orange Wind..."

It's the episode we get to hear Alice sing, and boy, does she! Even as I picture the scene in my head, those magnificent feelings return. I think I've seen this episode so many times, I burned a few layers off the DVD.

The episode is also beautiful, both visually and in story. I should spoil it, but I won't. Any fan of the Aria series will know why this episode stands out, and I wouldn't be surprised if it beats the OVA in a poll.

Runner up: Episode 7 of Strike Witches, and on that note, I'll end here with a reminder to subscribers to vote for the option "I Pause for Pantsu".
Twisted Evil
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This could easily turn into a "Favorite ending" or a "Favorite scene" thread. I'll try to think from a view of an entire episode and I think that best ones for this sort of thread could be found in episodic anime like the aforementioned Aria. That was a sweet episode by the way.

Master Keaton had some good ones too. The ones I still remember somewhat clearly are The Thistle Emblem and The Agate Color of Time. There are plenty of other good ones, but these I think are some of the best. Particularly The Thistle Emblem, which put a nice historic perspective on the episode. I liked how Keaton and his Dad learned about a tragic historical character through clues they found in the most peculiar of places. It just felt like a very smart episode spiced with a nice breath of ancient air. I don't know how to put it into words, but somehow it reminded me just how close history is to our everyday lives without even realizing it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
A corny choice for me: Gunbuster ep. 6.
Everything is so beautiful here. The switch to monochrome for this episode underscores the shift in tone from personal drama to impersonal myth-making, which is then brought back home again so touchingly at the end of the episode.

Any of Oshii's episodes for the Patlabor TV series would also be good candidates here.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Second, the topic. This one is a fun one, and yes, I do have a favorite episode and it comes from Aria: The Origination, episode 9 titled "Enveloped By That Orange Wind..."

It's the episode we get to hear Alice sing, and boy, does she! Even as I picture the scene in my head, those magnificent feelings return. I think I've seen this episode so many times, I burned a few layers off the DVD.

The episode is also beautiful, both visually and in story. I should spoil it, but I won't. Any fan of the Aria series will know why this episode stands out, and I wouldn't be surprised if it beats the OVA in a poll.

Internet brofist. Aria the Origination episode 9 is a beautiful episode. Best part of the entire series, and also the first thing that came to mind when I clicked on this thread.

Mushishi also has a few great episodes that I've rewatched many, many times. The Traveling Swamp, The White Within Which Lives Within the Inkstone, and Sea of Writings are three such episodes.

And finally, Hell Screen (ep12) from Aoi Bungaku. Unforgettable.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I will probably add some more later, but for now...

FMA 1- there is a few spisodes I really liked, but I think the one that made me laugh a lot was the episode 37 (?) when the team is looking for a girlfriend for Havoc, followed by a warehouse 13 investigation.
FMA had its funny moments, but after that episode there were almost none, and it seemed like the last time we saw our heroes having fun, laughing and not worrying about what will come. Looking back at it it feels quite sentimental.

Eureka 7 - The episode when Charles and Ray spoiler[attack Gekkostate]. As a whole the episode changes the viewer's perception of the two characters. Absolutely brilliant. I have rewatched it so any ties and every time there is a little tear in the corner of my eye. I could also mention the last episode, which features epic, 10-minute version of the song Niji, making up for almost half of the episode.

An this is gonna be a weird one... Golden Boy- the very first episode.
They all feature sex-obsessed Kintaro who has filthy thoughts, but a golden heart. The five following eps were a bit boring and followed the same scheme, but I loved the first one for the amount of magnificent quotes ("Since I don't have a computer at home, I practiced programming on a paper keyboard").
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 of Madoka. It's such a well put together episode that reveals one of the central mysteries in the show without being bogged down by the lengthy expository dialogue that some of the other episodes have. It's a great mix of action, light-heartedness, tension and drama.

Episode 26 of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I find the penultimate episode more enjoyable than the final episode because I'm a sucker for reconciliation scenes, namely spoiler[when Simon meets/imagines Kamina in the alternate universe and then the string instruments stir...super effective against me.]

Episode 17 of Cowboy Bebop. The Mushroom Samba episode is a riot. For some reason this sticks out more than the touching episodes of the series.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
...Mushishi also has a few great episodes that I've rewatched many, many times. The Traveling Swamp, The White Within Which Lives Within the Inkstone, and Sea of Writings are three such episodes...

Yes, yes, yes - the Sea of Writing episode is an all time favourite of mine. The way Ginko and Tonyu interract is so mundane, yet so intimate. The images of her putting the script onto paper are, for me, the highlight of the entire series.

Two episodes I'd like to mention.

Gankutsuou, episode 6: Albert is trying to work out his feelings for Eugenie, the Count starts working on the mind of Baron Danglars & gets up to no good with Madam Danglars's horse; and it all culminates at the opera where Haydee, in the most amazing ball gown, recognises General Morcef. There's something about the theatricality of it all, the sublime dramatic pacing, the wonderfully appropriate music, that give this episode the perfect build-up to Haydee's moment at the opera.

The first episode of Sasameke Koto. Yeah, it's a yuri anime but the writing in this episode is exquisite. There are no superfluous moments at all, all the emotions are portrayed with a welcome understatement, and every thread knits up neatly with the other threads in the plot. The main character, Sumika, is portrayed sympathetically for all her misjudgements. Sadly, the rest of the series turns into regulation high school fare with some yuri flavouring. The first episode is an unexpected gem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
There is one episode that due to my personal connection had me in absolute tears.

Angel Beats! Episode 10 - In this episode of Angel Beats, Otonashi tries to figure out how Yui died and what her dream was when she was still alive. Due to her handicap, she was unable to participate in sports and her mother had to care for her constantly. Therefore in order to get her to disappear, Otonashi tries to help her achieve her dreams. He does so for the most part up until her final request. spoiler[She wants someone that would love her and marry her. Otonashi is unable to admit he has feelings for her because he doesn't. However, Hinata shows up in the middle of this conversation and does admit his love and feelings for her. It was just so beautiful because constantly throughout the anime you see the two of them nagging and picking on each other when in reality they liked each other very much. When Hinata goes to embrace her, she starts to cry and then disappears.]

This really hit home for me because I have a younger sister who is paralyzed. She's been paralyzed her whole life and more than anything, she loves sports and singing, the two things Yui loved to do. It really made me sad because she's 22 and has never had a boyfriend or anyone that's even confessed that they liked her. It saddens me because I wish she could find that special someone like Yui did in Angel Beats.
swienke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange already mentioned it, but episode 10 of Madoka Magica is almost perfect: it shows spoiler[Homura's background] in all of its brutal, tragic glory without a single slip-up. The quick but emotionally packed pacing, the fantastic art, and all of the little character-building moments, whether cute or horrifying, gradually build up into something absolutely sublime.

Despite how fantastic Madoka Magica is, my favorite episode of any anime is probably episode 10 of Durarara. It starts off as a quirky but fairly low-key series of vignettes covering the daily life of spoiler[Mr. Ordinary Student, Ryuugamine Mikado]. It's certainly a lot of fun, but nothing extraordinary by the standards of the show. And then the end of the episode hits you with one of the most stunning and exciting revelations in the entire series. What really makes the episode as a whole stand out, however, is the way the seemingly unconnected events of the first 3/4 of the episode come together almost perfectly in hindsight. What once seemed perfectly ordinary is revealed to be part of a stunningly constructed buildup that provides you with all the information you need to fully understand the end of the episode, without smashing you over the head with it. It's an episode that rewards plenty of rewatches, because there are always more little details that tie into the end of episode that you'll miss the first time around. Man, now I think I need to watch it again. Laughing
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
One that comes to mind for me is the episode titled "Winter Night Phantom" from The Big O. It's a standalone episode that gives Dan Dastun a well-deserved turn in the spotlight in a very well-written story about the effect that movies can have on us, especially in our youth. Although it can stand on its own it also fits in well with the overall storyline, with characters trying to recover their memories of the past.

Another would be episode 12 of Lucky Star, "Let's Go to the Festival" wherein Konata drags Kagami and Tsukasa to Comiket. Tsukasa's total failure is unsurprising (what made Konata think she could rely on her?) but the best part is when Kagami just can't stop herself from checking out that Full Metal Panic doujinshi...

Then there is episode 24 of Cowboy Bebop where the writers cleverly use the story of Urashima Taro (sort of Japan's Rip Van Winkle) to tell the story of Faye Valentine's past. Watching Spike and Jet search for a BetaMax was very amusing.

Finally (at least for now) there is episode 5 of season 1 of Hidamari Sketch-a trip through the malfunctioning mind of a fever-ridden Yuno. Although it seems to be a real acid-trip, anyone who's been in that situation can certainly relate; it's also quite amusing.
mezzaleonhart

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:

Despite how fantastic Madoka Magica is, my favorite episode of any anime is probably episode 10 of Durarara.

I love that episode too, but my favourite is episode 12. At this stage, just like swienke says everything came together and the series takes it up a notch from here. We have Celty and Shinra cementing their relationship, in such a beautiful way for them spoiler[ Shinra: "That punch was a kiss" ] and a change in Celty's motives. Combined with the truth of spoiler[ Celty's head ] Izaya steps up his game also, through revealing his reasons behind wanting to spoiler[ start a war in Ikkebukuro ] and his comments to Mikado. Masaomi's little recollection of the story from the night before was priceless too but one bit in particular stands out for me. The moment in the towards the end of the episode, where Celty's little Irish theme music played over her narration, her sheer joy as she rides into the night and the stunning portrayal of the beginnings of teenage love. That scene always brings me to tears, and I have watched this episode around 6 times in total (at least 5 since the dub came out)

My other favourite is FMA's 'night of the chimera's eye'. this episode was the one that told me this show would become my favourite. The combination of the humour early into the episode, with the drama and horror of the end's revelations leads to what I believe to be one of the most perfect anime episodes ever. It is heart breaking and painful to watch, always reducing me to silent tears every time i watch it, and it made me hate spoiler[Shou Tucker] so much that no matter how nice the character is that his VA plays, his voice always fills me with such rage that I instantly hate the character!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1