• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime Blues...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunsetBassist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:49 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone Im new, and though this thread probably seems pretty weird and pathetic.....its serious. Ok, I have been an anime fan for a while, since I was about 12, I'm 18 now. Started college, have a great g/f, plenty of friends....yet....I'm finding myself leaning more and more into....depression over...ANIME. Yes, I kno, seems weird but....its uncontrollable. Its just, I watch different anime and relate it to real life, and all of a sudden get hella depressed, seeing the great fantasy world these characters are in, their adventures, their fun, their EVERYTHING and then relalizing where i am, this.....world... makes me....depressed. I find myself wishing so much that I could just fall asleep and wake up in an anime..lol...I sometimes try to even sleep extra....just so I can get some good dreaming of my favorite anime....Alas, I'm still here......another example is my favorite anime of all time, Inuyasha....I've been watching this show since it premiered in Japan in 2000, and have fallen in love with all the characters as if they were real. Now that its ending....knowing thats it, no more adventures.....sadness.....extreme sadness....What do you guys think? Can anyone relate....I kno my case is pretty harsh, but does anyone else feel somewhat similar to what i do sometimes?......*sigh*......guess I just have em old Anime-Blues...

-anonymous
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:41 am Reply with quote
Hmmm....

I don't know if I can put this in words well enough. I think it's just a passing phase. You know, something that you'll out grow in a while. I used to be like you many years ago. Life was boring. I was feeling frustrated with life and all that. School was about to end soon and I knew that I'd have to grow up and get a job and have all sorts of responsibilities put on my shoulders and that'll be really boring. It always seemed that the anime characters had really fun and interesting lives and here I was having slogged through school (that was not really that bad), I was about to have to start looking for a job and my dad had stopped giving me the FAT allowance that I had been getting all those years.

It was like "Why the hell do I have to do this? Can't I live the life I want?" Well, obviously not. I live in the real world.

I've outgrown that phase now. I don't know if it was a matter of getting used to the new life or if I actually grew to love my job. But the next change that hit me, getting married and having a kid (who's now 20 months old), it didn't hit me as hard so I think I've matured and can adapt to change easier than before.

Hope this helps.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
You know how many crazy starwar fans there are?. How they really believe in the "force" and how they think they're a jedi knight. It's just a phase thing, you'll get over it once you seen so many crappy anime.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
Let's see...You have a Girlfriend,plenty of friends and starting College while still in your glorious youth? Personally i don't understand your justifications for being depressed.

Sure the reality is screwed up in all it's craziness. But one should never compare or contrast Anime to the real world.
It's another form of escapism and entertainment. (just like Television and Cinema, but not as interactive like reality.)

And as for series like Inuyasha; "All good things must come to an end". And the majority of Anime series leads to an definate conclusion/finale, irrelevant to the fact of how one loves the series' characters,situations,etc. Hopefully in time you will adjust and adapt,especially since your positives outweigh your negatives in reality.

It would be cool to be in some fantasy setting where one can pilot a Mecha,Change into some form of Super Sentai-esque character while taking out a horde of demons ..or even a lying Commander in Chief.(speaking of demons) Wink
TF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
anime are a great excuse to get out of the real world and live wonderful adventures and yes you can dream about it and it doesn't hurt to fantasize about being the big hero sometimes.
But you have to face the fact that those things never happen and it shouldn't affect your real life, i mean, you still need to make the distinction between dreams and real life.

And don't forgot that it is sometimes good that some things don't happen in RL, suggest you being the hero wielding a sword but a lot of your friends will get killed.

But thats a bit seeing things on the dark side, dreaming is OK, as long as you know that it is just a dream Wink
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Dream all you want, have your head in the clouds. But have your feet firmly planted in the ground, rooted in reality. That's the right balance I think.

Someone who doesn't dream or have ambitions is just boring and will never get far in life. Someone who's so caught up in his dreams and loses touch with reality is just an accident waiting to happen.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
I would say watch as much anime as you want, and if you still yearn for all of that fantasy stuff, then become a writer. Don't let that creativity or imagination go to waste. Make a book or a fanfic or something.

Anime is just another form of entertainment. If you like it that much, then by all means, participate in it to your heart's content. Wink

My philolosphy in life is pretty simple--be happy, no matter how you choose to do so (unless it hurts someone else, of course) Smile.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
I distinctly remember thinking as a child "This world sucks! I wish I could be in [insert whatever fanasy/scifi world I was into]", and now that I've basically grown up, I still find myself thinking the same thing Very Happy I dunno if something is wrong with me or what, but I'm definitally leaning towards some odd, unpredictable career choice. Hell maybe I'll become like Otcho from 20th Century Boys Laughing (spoiler[he leaves his well paying buisness job and becomes a tough-guy/vigilante like figure in Thailand for reasons I won't mention]). Most people grow out of these fantasy phases, but there are always people who never do. But most people still have a taste for the unreal that they indulge in things like anime. The day that this facination for unreal fantasys is no more and all people watch is reality TV and all they care about is their jobs is something I hope I never see...
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
I, like you, also find myself wishing, at times, that i was in an anime world. I think that most if not all of us feels very sad when a good series comes too an end. Its fine for you to love anime the way you do. It's expected that you would have these dreams of being in anime world because after all, anime can provide some very intriguing settings. On the other hand, if this depression is as deep as you mention and you truly feel as though you would love to go into an anime world, just put everything into perspect. Take Inuyasha for example, would you really love to live in a feudal Japan where the majority of mortals are terrorized by demons of all types. Even worse, would you want to travel with Inuyasha and company where the threat death by Naraku is ever-present in daily life. Im not sure if you really wanted any help out of this state of anime depression but if you did, then, in times of depression, put your living in that anime into a more realistic light
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:46 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean, I felt that way for a while because our world is boring compared to those fantasy worlds. That is why they make them like that, they make worlds that hook people, they take people away from reality.
It'll pass, it did with me, I sometimes get bored with this world, a lot of the time actually, but not depressed. I suppose thats to be expected with some, like I said, that is the whole purpose of these shows, creating fantasy worlds because this one is just so bland. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1