• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any anime series that are set in Hawaii?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
If that's a really hard question (in which I assume it is), maybe a series that's set in something similar to Hawaii? Rolling Eyes
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue appear to be in a location that looks somewhat like what Hawaii might look like.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about series, but I like that early Urusei Yatsura story arc where they went to Hawaii and, in one scene, Ataru talked to that one "American" woman who spoke English like this:

"Oh gureito! Ai jasuto rabu Jyapanizu boizu!" ("Oh great! I just love Japanese boys!")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
LOL, you can't exacltly blame the Japanese for that, for a Japanese person who hasn't learned english, they really can't pronounce R's and L's or anything else without putting a heavy Japanese accent on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
There's an episode of Nadesico with some bad English in it too. With Japanese subtitles. And then watching it with English subtitles and with so many of the characters talking all at the same time just makes it a nightmare.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
There is a story ark in Kimagure Orange Road which takes place in Hawaii and has some criminal elements.
Also, I don't know if anything is done with it (not seen all of it) Katsumi Liquer, the lead character in Silent Mobius was raised in Hawaii.

All the best,

Nani?
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
There is a story ark in Kimagure Orange Road which takes place in Hawaii and has some criminal elements.

The one when spoiler[Hikaru got mistaken for someone else and was kidnapped]. I thought it was the OVA. Oh well, I can't remember very well. I'm getting too old for this.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
"Aloha, kiki!"

Sorry, but whenver someone mentions Hawaii and anime (which isn't often) all I can think of is Principal Kuno from Ranma 1/2. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The Ghibli Movie "I Can Hear the Sea" (or "Ocean Waves" if you prefer) involves a class trip to Hawaii.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1