• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do You Bored Of Recycled Ideas such as Chomedy/Romance/Ecchi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoie_emesai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
It seems like much anime thatseens to come out now are pratically comedy/romance/ecchi now (well maybe a little action) I dont hate it, but it seems that no one is making anything nwe now
oberkorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote
Paranoia agent
Texhnolyze

Two good exceptions...check 'em out!
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ever heard, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it."? Well, comdey/romance/fanservicy fluff sells and people like it.

Empty fanservice will always sell.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I bored to death with both ecchi comedys and overly angstly, "realistic" romances. Both these genres, as well as several others, have been done to death and have no originality usually. The only ecchi thing that I have liked lately is RE: Cutey Honey, and its fanservice helps it.
I back up oberkorn, Paranoia Agent and Texhnolyze are exellent alternatives to many of the cliche ridden animes of today.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Another thing I'm tired of is animes/mangas that try to be overy touching, especially mangas. They usually have squeaky clean characters who must face hardship, tragedy and manage to triumph. Most of these don't have originality, and I often find the characters are so single minded and unhuman that they're difficult to sympathize with. Call me crazy, but the surreal manga "Black and White" managed to touch me much more than most of these.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Ever heard, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it."? Well, comdey/romance/fanservicy fluff sells and people like it.

I've also heard:

"If it ain't broke, don't break it." -- Charles Oakley

But yes, I agree with you, though I'm not too big on that kind of thing (ecchi, fanservice stuff). I don't like it, but I don't dislike it. I guess some could even call it "normal" in a lot of anime. Razz
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Maybe its not broke from a companies point of view but from an intelligent fans point of view it is. Nobody wants to see the market become bloated with an abundance of boring repetitive shows

Quote:
I don't hate it, but it seems that no one is making anything nwe now

There's still new and impressive material being produced. Yeah the majority of anime is copycat rubbish but that always been the case, it doesn't mean that there aren't any good titles.
aoie_emesai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quote
..................... Its really hard to complain about this subject when i get 4 of the same kind of response ne?

Sorta sad talking about the genre most of manga are Embarassed
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

Typewriters weren't broke when the PC was invented, but I don't see you using one.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
aoie_emesai wrote:
It seems like much anime thatseens to come out now are pratically comedy/romance/ecchi now (well maybe a little action) I don't hate it, but it seems that no one is making anything nwe now

Unfortunately, as Liann pointed out, those types of anime sell, and thsi is an industry. If the product sells, you continue to make it.

Kinda bites, but fortunately the industry is also aware that other type of intelligent anime and manga sells as well. They might be the minority, but we still get titles like Paranoia Agent and what not...
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
lianncoop wrote:

Typewriters weren't broke when the PC was invented, but I don't see you using one.

Oooh...pffft.... you know what I mean. :p

I mean, basically what you said above - fanservice sells. If it keeps selling, they'll keep making it. It's not to say that there won't be new and innovative series made...but as long as "sex sells" you'll keep seeing it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice isn't the problem; its crappy writing. To hate a series because it uses fanservice its stupid. Like I mentioned before, I don't think RE: Cutey Honey would have the same feel with out insane amounts of fanservice. Like I said, I'm tired of many animes that just go towards a particular genre (ecchi, melodramatic romance, etc.) without having good scripts or original ideas.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the harem genre should be retired.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I think the harem genre should be retired.

Not really. I think with a good story and plot, it can still make a good series. I thought Ai Yori Aoshi was very good, though typical of the genre. But it still made me feel for the characters nonetheless. Romance is high on my list of favourites. Because I'm the romantic sort of person (at least I think so). Harem comes close, and besides, harem and romance seems to almost always be intertwined. You seldom get one without the other (think Tenchi, AYA, Love Hina, etc).

As for comedy, anyone who's seen Crayon Shin-chan will agree that comedy rocks! It's outright comedic. And it works so well that it doesn't need other themes/ideas to redeem it.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the escapist aspect of anime comedies. Life is heavy enough. I looked up Paranoia Agent in the encyclopedia and it looks intriguing, what with the picture of a kid with a bent bat.Violent kids, who would have thought? My anime viewing habits is a blend of thought-provoking and fluffy fare. Romance series are going nowhere. My wife drank Kare Kano and the two Ai Yori Aoshi series' like water. I am a fan of these two as well. Actually, Kare Kano is a good example of a romantic anime with little or no "fanservice" if you are averse to things like that. Long story short, long live romantic and comedic anime titles of all sorts, they provide me with more variety and release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2