• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay: One Piece's Nami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
What is she, a B-cup? Girl doesn't have the boobage for the role of Nami.
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Um, really? It should not be "Taipei, Taiwan, China", China should be removed but if it must include China it's the Republic of China.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hmm, after seeing BakaTest group photos in his album I'm sure this photographer MiNe was right next to me last Sunday. Mr. Green

Expias wrote:
Um, really? It should not be "Taipei, Taiwan, China", China should be removed but if it must include China it's the Republic of China.

Heh, don't get too political. Wink

EDIT: Picture uploaded.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
While she doesn't have the breast size to properly pass as Nami, I did a double-take from the pure hawtness there. Laughing

Maybe she should try a character that matches her physical attributes? I'm thinking she'd make a killer Eureka from Eureka Seven.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OtakuOtoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Leon Evolon wrote:
While she doesn't have the breast size to properly pass as Nami, I did a double-take from the pure hawtness there. Laughing

Maybe she should try a character that matches her physical attributes? I'm thinking she'd make a killer Eureka from Eureka Seven.

That's sad. You are the type of people who take the fun out of cosplay. It's about making the costume and paying homage to a character you like. Not having that exact body type can not be considered since Oda draws women with unworldly proportions.

I think the costume looks very well made. The only little detail that stands out is the sandals which could have been an easy fix. Other than that it is a very good portrayal of Nami.
Splash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Expias wrote:

That's not political. That's just showing a basic level of respect to the natives there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Oda does go overboard with Nami chest size and it's pretty noticeable. I gotta admit, it does affect the cosplay. Mind you there's nothing wrong with her body type... it just doesn't fit Nami's. To me, you need to take into account matching body type just as much as, say, hair color. You can always modify the costume to try to come closer to the character. Kinda like how a skinny guy would have to bulk up or get fake muscles for playing Guts. Again, nothing wrong with the girl's body (and she is still sexy as all get out in the costume), it just doesn't match Nami. Never mind there are plenty of smaller chested anime characters. Heaven knows with otaku love of lolita characters with the 'dfc', there are tons of them with small chests.

And to jump into the other big controversy getting overblown in this thread about a mere cosplay pic, I'm pretty sure China would love to consider Taiwan as part of itself. Ask someone from Taiwan and they might differ on that.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Bust size hardly matters for Nami's character. The artwork is too inconsistent for that.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Bust size hardly matters for Nami's character. The artwork is too inconsistent for that.

This.

Besides, at least this wasn't a cosplay of Lucy from Fairy Tail. Now THAT's a bust size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that the bust size crossed my mind in a "Heh, there's not really any way she could duplicate that" way, but that's a really good take on Nami.
10円

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

You can't expect average Taiwanese to have exceptionally large breasts any more than you can expect average Americans to be thin and healthy. Wink

Splash wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Expias wrote:

That's not political. That's just showing a basic level of respect to the natives there.

Didn't bother to look at who you were actually responding to I take it? Rolling Eyes
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
OtakuOtoko wrote:
That's sad. You are the type of people who take the fun out of cosplay. It's about making the costume and paying homage to a character you like.

How is it a homage when you can't get a critical part of the characters attributes correct?

Top Gun wrote:
I have to admit that the bust size crossed my mind in a "Heh, there's not really any way she could duplicate that" way, but that's a really good take on Nami.

There are prosthetic appliances out there that can increase the bust size of any woman. Or man.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

How is it a homage when you can't get a critical part of the characters attributes correct?

I'm pretty sure Nami's boobs aren't a critical part of her appearance, since they've been changed in size before. This also means that Nami's character itself isn't correct to her character.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Splash wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Expias wrote:

Didn't bother to look at who you were actually responding to I take it? Rolling Eyes

I'm more surprised that Splash is not a newbie but a 5-year forum veteran. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
If we're going to start complaining about cosplayers having the correct bust size for the character they portray, I'd like to see someone pull off an accurate Matsumoto from Bleach. Not gonna happen...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2