• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there any pattern as to which company licenses what anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if certain companies tend to license certain anime shows over others, and if so, what are these patterns?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
To me, it generally appears that they license shows that are/were popular when they are/were being fansubbed. However, if that was true, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien would be licensed by now, since it is in the top 10 in AnimeNFO's Top 100 anime list.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I would say yes.

Media Blasters-- With the thin wallets, seems to pick up series that are less hyped but imaginative,and mildly non mainstream like Twelve Kingdoms and Figure 17. These shows tend to be riskier but can do good. I would say that this company has the best "talent scouting" ability.

Bandai, Geneon-- Seem to be the flip side of this. They have money and tend to buy the the known qualities like Ghost in the Shell, X, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Witch Hunter Robin etc.

CPM, MANGA-- with fewer rescoures they buy things on occasion but are one step from becoming another Animeigo.

ADV-- Like Bandai or Geneon they have a healthy wallet but they seem to have different strategy. Buy as much as possible. This means they do have some second line hits like Noir and occasionally first rate shows like Azumanga Daioh or FLCL.
At the same time they have largest libary of shows no one ever watched, such as Neo Ranga, Steel Angel Kurumi, etc.

Funimation, Tokyo Pop-- Don't really have a "feel" for them.

All the Best,

Nani?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Bandai, Geneon-- Seem to be the flip side of this. They have money and tend to buy the the known qualities like Ghost in the Shell, X, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Witch Hunter Robin etc.

Question: do companies like Bandai and Geneon have priorities when licensing anime from their respective mother companies, or do they have to compete with other licensers from the same start?

I found it funny (and a bit annoying) that Sakura Wars series were licensed separately by ADV, Geneon/Pioneer and FUNimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I was curious, because my friend and I are wondering who's going to be picking up Naruto.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Nani? wrote:

Question: do companies like Bandai and Geneon have priorities when licensing anime from their respective mother companies, or do they have to compete with other licensers from the same start?

Your right, I forgot about that. I believe they do have an advantage. That might explain ADV's stratagy.

All the best,

Nani?
Goshin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
I was curious, because my friend and I are wondering who's going to be picking up Naruto.

Let's not go there, just this once, ok? Wink

FUNimation tends to pick up the longer (episode count)series than most, if I'm not mistaken. Titles like...Detective Conan, Dragonball, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Kodocha.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
CPM, MANGA-- with fewer rescoures they buy things on occasion but are one step from becoming another Animeigo.

What does that exactly mean? Does it mean they becoming as good as AnimEigo. I want more info on this.

If that means a company that doesn't license anything, AnimEigo is most likely spending all their money on putting out Urusei Yatsura, and as of right now, they are half done with the series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

What does that exactly mean? Does it mean they becoming as good as AnimEigo. I want more info on this.

If that means a company that doesn't license anything, AnimEigo is most likely spending all their money on putting out Urusei Yatsura, and as of right now, they are half done with the series.

I mean it in the sense that it hasn't liscensed a thing in years. But I agree with you that AnimEigo did wonderful, pioneering work and I would love for them to release a new series.

All the Best,

Nani?
UberTai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
ADV-- Like Bandai or Geneon they have a healthy wallet but they seem to have different strategy. Buy as much as possible. This means they do have some second line hits like Noir and occasionally first rate shows like Azumanga Daioh or FLCL.

ADV doesn't have FLCL. Synch-Point does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, considering that UY is almost 200 episodes, they have 25 DVD's out, and 5 more DVD's are coming soon, but its hard to believe that to have the whole series, I will have to buy 50 DVD's, and then there's the movies and OVA's to worry about. CPM has one movie and ADV has another movie.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I think the shows that 4kids gets are kids shows in Japan even though they're more violent. Let's not forget that Japan is less conservative about this stuff.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:

Didn't you know, 4Kids will get the license to it and is going to change everything. Naruto will be renamed Nathan, Sakura will be renamed Sally, and Sasuke will be renamed Steve, all because their original names are too hard for children to remember/say. Also the storyline is going to be changed so that they will now be going from village to village trying to collect all the ninja "moves", in true Pokemon fashion.

Really though, putting all joking aside, this really isn't even worth discussing let alone thinking about. Undoubtedly someone WILL get Naruto, it's just a matter of time, and no amount of speculation/whining will change who will get it whether it be 4Kids, ADV, Geneon, or any other studio that has even a chance.
killer7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Time to throw in my two cents....
Bandai, Geneon I think have it really made well. They have the licensing for anime already from the parent companies. This allows them to bid up on some other big names.
ADV is the wild card. They have to buy anime right and left of the lesser known shows, because they don't really have a presence in Japan, and probably have a harder time getting the well known stuff.
But it really all comes down to "what can you do for my show to make me the most money." Thats why 4kids gets all these shows like Pokemon and One Piece because they have a great connection with the basic TV channels and can market it really well.
So do certain companies tent to license certain anime over others? I think that it all has to the money making power of the anime to tell the truth. Money rules the world.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

It's called "first right of refusal" which gives them priorites over either a series or a whole company, in other words it gives them to first opportunity to either accept or pass. When it comes to parent companies (like with Bandai and Geneon) they almost always accept (for example Bandai always does Gundam, but passed Dunbine on to ADV, keep in mind that Bandai owns Sunrise) When it comes to titles it really depends on how they're contracted (Geneon has first rights on all Tenchi productions, but passed on the last two, while Sakura Wars have been specific to a single title, not the entire series). Pioneer also picks up a majority of their titles from AIC, including ones that people think are already spoken for (like BurnUp Scramble).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2