• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How old anime showed us "the future" and how wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah its kind of funny Astro Boy was produced in the 50's (I think most likely 60's) and they had the whole idea about 2003 being futureristic. Look at it now, its 2006 and we're technically the same as from 50 years ago only now we have more advanced technology than from 50 years ago such as laptops, Ipods, cooler cars, etc...
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
*Glares* They had the sweetest cars in the 50's, 60's and 70's...as far as looks go Wink
red stranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
In Cowboy Bebop there's all kinds of things that are not going to happen in the near future, like Gate Techology or space tourism using space shuttles (tourist must use russian craft, at least until Virgin starts it's flights). And speaking of space shuttles, there's not enough of Columbia left for Dohan to rebuild it, unless he uses parts from the other remaining shuttles.

And in GITS SAC SSS, even though it just came out last week, it already has a mistake in it. They use a 3d projecting inside a glass box that makes a loud noise when it refreshes itself. There's already technology in developement that will display that same image, in 3d, in colour, but without the glass box or loud noises. But I guess you can forgive SAC because it's in an alternate time line...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Just to revive this a little bit. Did you see where scientists may develop a "Cloak of Invisibility," so to speak.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/ap_on_sc/cloak_of_invisibility_11

So the future is coming. Slowly, but coming.

And Duke U has something good said about it in the Media!
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Just to revive this a little bit. Did you see where scientists may develop a "Cloak of Invisibility," so to speak.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/ap_on_sc/cloak_of_invisibility_11

So the future is coming. Slowly, but coming.

And Duke U has something good said about it in the Media!

Thats soooo cool Very Happy I hope they can go farther with it then we could really see some advancements...l
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3