• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people hate Dubs so much?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Its simply that hatings dubs has become an unreasonable stereotype of anime fandom. Its ingrained into the heads of so many anime fans. That they won't even accept it when dubs are well done or of quality.
beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand English dubs of foreign movies/series because to me

- they and the English VAs sound like crap
- they don't convey the tone/intent/emotion of the original VA; lost in translation
- the pronounciation of Japanese names in English sounds plain horrible.

I prefer any kind of original or sub over any kind of dub.
I'd rather not watch a movie/series at all, than watch a dubbed version of it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but beast...that's all in your head really. It's reason enough for YOU not to watch a dub, but not to justify that others should not to watch them and atleast give them a chance.

"they and the English VAs sound like crap"
Totally subjective and might I add, could you tell if a foreign voice sounded like crap?

"they don't convey the tone/intent/emotion of the original VA; lost in translation"
Possibly. The only thing you bring up that can be dictated to others pretty objectively. You can't tell me "They don't" though. You can say, it's extremely hard to and a lot will not pull it off, but it is not impossible that you will find a translation which can stay quite intune with it's roots. What does it matter if someone is japanese or english in something like a space opera anyway? It's definitely possible for a new actor to recreate the work of another.

"the pronounciation of Japanese names in English sounds plain horrible."
Likewise, the Japanese sound horrible pronunciating english. This holds true for almost any english you'll hear, with exceptions of course. I watched Hellsing dubbed and I liked hearing the brittish accents. More realistic than the japanese, no?
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk made some fantastic points and I totally agree with him.
beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
"for you"
Yep, that's why I wrote "to me" in the first line. The topic is about "hate"..and hate is always a subjective and personal thing.
I listed my reasons for hating dubs. Smile

"totally subjective"
Of course it is, this whole thread is. I doubt there are objective reasons to hate something - they're always subjective.

"could you tell if a foreign voice sounded like crap?"
I think I can. I think everyone can. People who know more than one language probably even better. Nothing special.

"possibly"
No, to me they definitely don't.

"What does it matter if someone is japanese or english in something like a space opera anyway?"
You're right, the language doesn't matter. What matters is the tone/intention/emotions of the original.

"It's definitely possible for a new actor to recreate the work of another."

I don't think so. The original is always superior to me.

"Likewise, the Japanese sound horrible pronunciating english."

Yes, but I don't have problem with that.
I have a problem with the English pronounciation of Japanese names though. So I avoid that whenever possible.

"I watched Hellsing dubbed and I liked hearing the brittish accents. More realistic than the japanese, no?"

Well, good for you. I watched Hellsing subbed and liked the Japanese voices.
And since when is anime about being realistic? I don't care about realism in movies, what I care about is the original tone/sound/intention/emotions of the original work.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry's earlier comments aren't comprehensive, as they don't account for the genuine variation there's been in the quality of dub productions over time and different titles, but in general the case he argues has a lot of merit and, I think, defines the underlying state of things pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
"what I care about is the original tone/sound/intention/emotions of the original work."

Then you should get rid of subtitles and learn japanese.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Dubs, in my opinion are great (Except for the screaming). Blatently saying dubs are ****, because they don't show emotion and bla bla, are far to ignorant to understand it. I would rather watch Anime, not read it Razz . I'f I wanted to read things id go get a book. Stop patronizing the dubs, they have their quality.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I love it when the subbies say on one hand "You don't need to know Japanese to comprehend if they're doing good VAing" and then "Japanese VA's are better because they put more emphasis/emotion into the role." Watch as this falls apart:

1. The two cultures puts different emphasis on different syllables in their respective languages, with a change in pitch, tone, whatever changing the meaning/emotion of the phrase. It's unfair/almost impossible to compare.
2. It doesn't matter how emotional the VA sounds, it's does the phrase actually warrant it. What if in a death scene in a Japanese anime the hero held his dying love and passionately screamed out, "OMELETTE DU FROMMAGE!!!!"?
3. Building on 2, you have to know SOME of the language and how phrases are spoken within it. If you don't know spoiler[that I said "Egg and Cheese Sandwich"], not only can you note rate the VA/show, you look like a real jimmyjack discussing it around the watercooler the next day.

People need to stop hating on all dubs without giving it a chance and VIVA LA ANIMATION. Twisted Evil
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:

"Likewise, the Japanese sound horrible pronunciating english."

I have a problem with the English pronounciation of Japanese names though. So I avoid that whenever possible.

So... what is the difference, exactly? I can understand the rest of your reasons (even if I totally disagree with them), but this one just boggles the mind.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Building on what you just said Frankman...

There's also subtleties in language that, unless you speak the language fluently, will go in one ear and out the other. For example, one of the "complaints" about English dubbing is how the voices sound "forced," or unnatural. How do we know that? Because we speak the language and hear it enough to know that it sounds that way. So how do we know if a Japanese VA is forcing their voice? We can't if we don't speak it. Also there's accents and dialects. Let's say, in the original Japanese version a character was givin an Kansai dialect, and in the English version they were givin a Southern accent. Now let's say the Southern accent was really fake and unnaturally Southern, that is a legitimate problem. But how would one know if the Kansai dialect was equally fake, or even worse? One wouldn't, unless one spoke Japanese fluently.

Then there's other nuances of Japanese that fly through the head of non-speakers, such as articulation. Yes, it's fully possible to understand emotion in Japanese because emotions are universal, all languages can tell the difference between sadness, happiness, fear, and other emotions. But emotion is only part of acting, there's articulation and pronunciation among others.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
As demoneyes mentioned, unless you speak the language, fluently by the way, you can't tell the quality of the voice very well. an english VA pronouncing a japanese word wrong is the samething as a french person no pronouncing the "h" sound in words, such as my real name. its a part of language that will never go away. although, i agree that people mispronouncing a word can be annoying if they continue instead of trying to fix it, especialy if it is on purpose Confused
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
beast wrote:
"for you"
"Likewise, the Japanese sound horrible pronunciating english."[/i]

So its bad when the English butcher the Japanese pronunciation, but its ok when the Japanese butcher English pronunciations? Rolling Eyes Whatever.

I honestly could care less about how someone rolls an R in English differently from English. Where I live now, people say, "talk." Where I used to live, people say "tawlk". No big freaking deal.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
beast wrote:
"for you"
"Likewise, the Japanese sound horrible pronunciating english."[/i]

So its bad when the English butcher the Japanese pronunciation, but its ok when the Japanese butcher English pronunciations? Rolling Eyes Whatever.

I honestly could care less about how someone rolls an R in English differently from English. Where I live now, people say, "talk." Where I used to live, people say "tawlk". No big freaking deal.

I've seen a lot of anime where the seiyuu speaks short phrases of anything from English to Spanish to German; their pronounciations aren't that bad. On the other hand, I happened to watch Naruto on Adult Swim a couple months ago... I almost laughed to death.
beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
"what I care about is the original tone/sound/intention/emotions of the original work."

Then you should get rid of subtitles and learn japanese.

I am, and even if I wasn't, subtitles allow me to get the tone/sound/intention/emotions of the original just fine. That's not the case with a dub.
Also, now who here is telling people what they should do and what they shouldn't do? Wink

@rajimitsu
The difference is that I'm ok with the former but not ok with the latter. It's called personal preference or bias.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11