• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dour &/or depressing anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
In this thread Key wrote ”of the rare anime out there that you watch to be informed, not to be entertained. It doesn't make an argument or try to dramatize anything; it just lays out there an example of what has happened for viewers to react to or not.”

So: What anime out there fits Key's criteria?

Here are two series that I've seen:
  • ELFEN LIED
    Now granted, this is a weak nomination because a justifiable argument can be made that the nudity, the violence and the pedophilia constitute a form of entertainment and drama; also, that it is not particularly informative. I respectfully disagree. I submit that the nudity (for the most part, anyway) is used to demonstrate how the researchers dehumanized the Diclonii; I also submit that the violence and pedophilia is not gratuitous; also, that a review of the literature of group dynamics shows that people in groups numbering as few as two can and WILL act in ways that they would not act as by themselves. It is possible to view the series as a commentary on Japanese society and culture. However, it is quite easy to have a justifiably opposing opinion on the matter.
  • Now and Then, Here and There
    What can I say? This exceedingly grim series is not for children. Period. The characters at the bottom of the military ladder are:
    (A) Trying to survive; or
    (B) Have lost their humanity to the military system and are thus almost irredeemably warped.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen. These are the easy ones. With a more subjective approach, you could say I'm watching other series (considered to have a special, or classic status) to be informed rather than entertained.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sure I understand your criterion, but can I suggest something it makes me think of?
If you're thinking shows that are more interested in getting us to feel the punch of some raw truth (about human behaviour, society, history, etc.) than making an entertaining fiction, how about Pom Poko, especially as contrasted with Miyazaki's environmentalist films? Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke seem very much to be fictions with environmentalist themes, but Pom Poko I always think of as a sour documentary dressed up in an animal fantasy wrapper. (I suppose generally films with a social commentary come in different degrees of harshness.)

Last edited by ailblentyn on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Since the title of the thread and the first post seem a little different I'm also not sure if this meets the criteria, but I think Neon Genesis Evangelion is an anime that, while it does contain elements that are dramatic, I found to be very depressing in the sense that the fight seemed to be hopeless; the effect was rather like watching a Greek tragedy. In addition, since I didn't watch it until after seeing a lot of other shows perhaps I was being informed of how vaqrious anime tropes could be twisted and/or deconstructed. Certainly, love it or hate it, there is more going on in this show than simple entertainment.

Another anime I watched all the way through despite its being extremely depressing was Rumbling Hearts which was, to me, an object lesson in how dishonesty leads to tragedy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
SaiKano is by the far the most depressing anime I've personally seen to date. It's been a while, but frankly, I have no intention of ever-watching it again. So much death, pain, anguish and sadness for those two and every other freakin' character Anime cry...
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the right headspace to think about depressing things. One of the most depressing anime I've seen has to be Gunslinger Girls.

Each and every one of the girls has an tragic past, usually filled with extreme violence. These poor girls are taken and modified into perfect child soldiers (child soldiers are depressing enough alone). In the process, their memories are wiped over and over again. As a result of these procedures, their artificially extended lives are brief because they burn out like shooting stars. To top it all off, they show complete devotion to their handlers, but their handlers treat them with everything from almost romantic feelings to complete indifference and even contempt.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Some people already listed a few anime titles that I also think are depressing. Like Elfen Lied and Saikano. Great series but very depressing.

Another one would have to be Bokurano. This series is emotionally heavy and pretty dark. spoiler[The kids are pulled into a game where they have no choice but to fight enemies with a mecha, that they named Zearth, or the Earth will blow up if they don't fight in a limited time or are defeated. Yet when a kid is chosen as a pilot they are going to die anyway. The mecha relies on their life energy to move and once an enemy is defeated the pilot dies. Also, their enemies are humans living on other Earth like planets, and their world will be destroyed if they are defeated. It makes you feel for the characters as they have difficult choices to make. Its a kill or be killed ordeal and the last one to survive (I haven't finished the whole series so I don't know how it ends) has a high chance of being traumatized or even mentally unstable.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what is positive about a lack of entertainment. Dramatizing a point is often the best way to make its finer points understood. Also i don't think there could be an anime that is interesting and informative and isn't entertaining even if just for its informativeness. I guess i don't know what you mean because from your description i think elfen lied and now and then here and there are both to provocative and interesting to not be intentionally entertaining
killmyself

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I don't see what is positive about a lack of entertainment. Dramatizing a point is often the best way to make its finer points understood. Also i don't think there could be an anime that is interesting and informative and isn't entertaining even if just for its informativeness. I guess i don't know what you mean because from your description i think elfen lied and now and then here and there are both to provocative and interesting to not be intentionally entertaining

As someone who loves documentaries I'm going to have to agree with this post. Regardless of how little the subject matter is dramatized it is still arranged in a way to evoke emotions and tell a story. Otherwise it would be unconnected scenes and information that you can't follow.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I will say Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze. Although the former finishes in rather a positve mood, the series has that depressing tone. As for Texhnolyze, it was confusing all the way and getting depressing towards the few episodes.
HeatLegs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Kino's Journey was pretty depressing. It exposes the corruption of society, and it sorta makes you feel powerless because things like cannibalism, human sacrifice, and brainwashing will always happen.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
HeatLegs wrote:
Kino's Journey was pretty depressing. It exposes the corruption of society, and it sorta makes you feel powerless because things like cannibalism, human sacrifice, and brainwashing will always happen.
Well, cannibalism doesn't always happen, thank goodness. I've managed to keep away from cannibalism so far in my life. (Human sacrifice? Different story.)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons, please. -TK]
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I'm not 100% sure I understand your criterion, but can I suggest something it makes me think of?
If you're thinking shows that are more interested in getting us to feel the punch of some raw truth (about human behaviour, society, history, etc.) than making an entertaining fiction, how about Pom Poko, especially as contrasted with Miyazaki's environmentalist films? Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke seem very much to be fictions with environmentalist themes, but Pom Poko I always think of as a sour documentary dressed up in an animal fantasy wrapper. (I suppose generally films with a social commentary come in different degrees of harshness.)

You have the correct idea! Cool

killmyself wrote:
poilk92 wrote:

As someone who loves documentaries I'm going to have to agree with this post. Regardless of how little the subject matter is dramatized it is still arranged in a way to evoke emotions and tell a story. Otherwise it would be unconnected scenes and information that you can't follow.

poilk92 & killmyself--

I was trying to be as faithful as possible to the concept that Key was addressing. Please check out the two links in the first two lines of my opening post.

As far as Elfen Lied is concerned, I wasn't really certain that it objectively fit the criteria set out by Key (again, please check out the relevant links in my opening post). The inclusion of Now & Then, Here & There, however, is something that I will defend without reservation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'd have to think that (Shadow Star) Narutaru would also fit on this list. Despite the ever jubilant main character (think Shu from NTHT), the series is still filled with simply terrible things... cutting oneself, rape, and some of the most gruesome deaths imaginable. And to think this show aired on "Kids Station" in Japan. *facepalm*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3