• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accents in dubs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Accents in dubs, it happens all the time. Sometimes it's appoprate such as if a person is from a difernt country. But sometimes it makes me go "What the heck". Such as in Ranma with The Gambling King, he had a Scottish accent. Also with Meowth he has a 1920's Broolyn accents. cna you think of any more charaters like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
In Abenobashi, Arami and Sashi have southern accents but that's because pf the Osakan accents in the sub.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I loved Meowth's accent. Anime hyper

I couldn't stand the new accent they gave Amy in the Sailor Moon dub of S to Super S. It was a Broolyn accent or something close, and just didn't fit.
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
In the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub, Jonouchi (Joey) has a New York-esqe accent for some reason.
In the Shaman King dub, Len has a British accent, even though he's supposed to be Chinese.
I don't find accents in dubs annoying, just a bit confusing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I couldn't stand the new accent they gave Amy in the Sailor Moon dub of S to Super S. It was a Brooklyn accent or something close, and just didn't fit.

They did? I must have overlooked that. ^__^;

Cool

Typically, Osakans get a drawl (Exhibit A: AzuDai's Osaka) for a reason that Abunai will be more than happy to tell us. ^__~ Don't forget about the British tounges of Bakura Ryou and Botan, and the various accents of the YYH Dark Tournament fighters.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
CowboyBebop session 1: spoiler[Maria had a accent like she was hispanic.]
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GoldHawk021 wrote:
CowboyBebop session 1: spoiler[Maria had a accent like she was hispanic.]

spoiler[That's probably because she is], and spoiler[Did this really need spoiler tags?]

In Samurai Deeper Kyo, Miguerria has a strong Portuguese accent. While it makes sense considering that he is Portuguese, it's still hard to get used to.
Meson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the accents can't really be helped. You assume that all American actors have Asian accents, which is an improable situation. They have to go by what accent mostly resembles the characters' design, which may be different that the Japanese voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wizard55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
in R.O.D. the oav, some of them have british accents. I think thats because they are in Britian sometime.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
in Samurai Deeper Kyo the one guy with the pink hair (forgot name) has southern accent also it changes into a more annoying accent in an episode or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
in R.O.D. the oav, some of them have british accents. I think thats because they are in Britian sometime.

Joker, Mr. Gentleman, Wendy, etc. are all British. Though...yeah, the dub voice actor who did Joker made me cringe with his awful & blatantly fake attempt at the accent...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
In most dubs that I watch, the accents they will usually use is the souther one for people from Osaka and Kansai. Such as in Azumanga Diaho and Love Hina.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:21 am Reply with quote
The whole Osakan dialect = Southern Redneck accent (no offense to any Rednecks) really bugs me. Chou and Ms. Tae in Kenshin have it, Kitsune in Love Hina has one, and my least favorite, Osaka in Azumanga Daioh also posseses the unfortunate characteristic.

I think Sorata from X (TV) has an Osakan accent in Japanese, but thankfully, they didn't do the southern thing in English Smile (good dub by the way, but I prefer it in Japanese Wink).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Typically, Osakans get a drawl (Exhibit A: AzuDai's Osaka) for a reason that Abunai will be more than happy to tell us. ^__~

Indeed I will. Very Happy

There is no reason why it should be precisely a Southern drawl that is used for dubs, where the original has a recognisable kansaiben (Kansai dialect, that is - spoken in the western central area of Honshu island, around Kyoto and Osaka). It's apparently just a convention that was adopted at one time or another - to provide a recognisable standard for dubbing kansaiben.

I don't see the Southern drawl dubbing as a sign of disrespect for "Southern rednecks". I know a number of U.S. Southerners, and none of them qualify as "rednecks" or any similar pejorative. To me, the drawl is just a way of indicating that a dialect is being spoken - and, after all, the drawl is the most recognisable U.S. dialect, with New Englander and Brooklyn dialects coming in close runners-up. It seems natural to choose it.

I'm not much for dubs myself - perhaps someone who has seen the dubbed version of Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ("Someday's Dreamers") can tell me what they've done with Kikuchi Yume's dialect? She speaks a real "hick" dialect, tohokuben, and it would be interesting to know what the dub made of it. Interestingly, the seiyuu playing Yume is Miyazaki Aoi, who's native to Tokyo - so it's nise tohokuben, "theater dialect". Rolling Eyes

Bear in mind that dialect-dubbing (to coin a phrase) is just a convention, an attempt to make it clear to the listener that a particular group of characters comes from a linguistic subculture with a dialect of its own.

I'm not involved in dubbing anime from Japanese into Danish - but if I were, I'd be translating kansaiben as the dialect spoken on the Danish island of Fyn. My reason for doing so would be that the people of Fyn tend to drop the consonant sounds, much like the kansaijin do. If I wanted to choose a Danish dialect with "hick" connotations, I'd be choosing one of the many Jutlander dialects, such as Vendelbomål or Morsingsk.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lucca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
Can I just say that for the most part, I love accents? Because I do. It adds a nice depth to the show when done right.
Like how every British charcter in Hellsing had a British accent. That, my friends, was lovely.

Anyhow, as for the Osakan Accent being done into Southern (to be picky, most of it sounds more Midwestern to me, but then again, I'm probably the only one who can tell the difference) I don't mind it, but they need to get some real southerners doing it! Some of them sound horribly fake, and as a Southern person, I can tell. It's awful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2