• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reminder - 009 season 2 and .hack//DUSK this Friday on CN

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Both shows begin this Friday night on CN on no specific block at 1 AM and 1:30 AM. Go figure why they're on this late.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Go figure why they're on this late.

Because Cartoon Cartoon Fridays runs until 1am.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought they were getting pushed into Toonami somewhere, but now that I actually take a moment to think about that, there's really no where for them to go there currently as everything is new.

So thank you a bunch for bringing this fact to my attention, as I would have definately missed it and I've been waiting for more Cyborg009 & to check out .hack//dusk.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they put dusk or 009 in the former time slot of FLCL.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Say what?! This is moderately terrible, in that they just place these shows in non-existant blocks, and that Friday is the only night I can acctually get any sleep and not regret it. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

Because Witch Hunter Robin is there now, and it deserves a second complete run. IMHO Cyborg 009 and .hack//Legend of the Twilight, great as they may be, are not "adult" enough for an Adult Swim timeslot.

Regardless, I'm greatly looking forward to the second season of Cyborg 009 (I've seen .hack//Legend... already). I wonder, if this won't be a part of any specific block, will the original OP/EDs be retained? Also, is Cartoon Network planning to advertise this at all (I noticed they haven't advertised Rave Master at all, either...)?
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

Because Witch Hunter Robin is there now, and it deserves a second complete run. IMHO Cyborg 009 and .hack//Legend of the Twilight, great as they may be, are not "adult" enough for an Adult Swim timeslot.

But I think they'd fit nice and cozy in a Toonami time slot. Something to replace the rotting flesh known as Duel Masters and the Jackie Chan re-runs. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I'm a bit disapointed in them for showing Jackie Chan on Toonami. Not because it's not anime, that doesn't bother me. It's because it doesn't really seem to fit the groove of the other shows. Where the new Toonami is aimed at teens over kids most of the other shows have the potential to improve in that sence, but Jack Chan has no other way to go. What you see is what you'll always get. It would have been better off sticking to the weekday evenings schedule or even Miguzi, but it just seems like the black sheep of Toonami.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think they might put it in toonami, if they realize that a 1:00 am slot is not going to help them.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
But I think they'd fit nice and cozy in a Toonami time slot. Something to replace the rotting flesh known as Duel Masters and the Jackie Chan re-runs. =/

I whole-heartedly agree.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
But I think [Cyborg 009 and .hack//DUSK]'d fit nice and cozy in a Toonami time slot. Something to replace the rotting flesh known as Duel Masters and the Jackie Chan re-runs. =/

Duel Masters is probably stupid enough to work. After all, not too many anime distribution companies go out of their way to make fun of itself and utterly destroy the 4th wall. I'm saying I like Duel Masters, because I don't, but it carries the "train wreck" mentality that works as a lead-off show.

Here are the only reasons I can fathom why Cyborg 009 isn't on Sat. Night:

-It's old timeslot area is occupied by DBGT and SEED
-It's an old school anime dating back about 50 years.
-It's violent and throws around the T-word despite never directly saying it.
-Back-to-back shows featuring Joshua Seth is bad for you.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I also don't understand how Case CLosed is in adult swim. Yeah, it's violent but GT is much more violent and its at an earlier time.
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

-It's an old school anime dating back about 50 years.
-It's violent and throws around the T-word despite never directly saying it.

- They're showing the 2001 remake, not the original.
- It's no more violent than anything else airing on Toonami, and they've shown it before during an weekday late afternoon/ early evening timeslot...
- What is the "t-word," and if they don't directly say it, why would it be a problem?

Last edited by Vekou on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I also don't understand how Case CLosed is in adult swim. Yeah, it's violent but GT is much more violent and its at an earlier time.

Uhmmm... mainly because Detective Conan [Case Closed] is more violent?

- Much more graphic violence than GT. Almost every episode deals with a murder, usually delt in a graphic gorry way (i.e. Head decapitation, bullet shots to the head, knife in the back, knife in the face, etc). All these are graphically depicted.
- GT has well... people punching people, and people who never die.
- Death is absolute in Detective Conan [Case Closed].
- Detective Conan [Case Closed] usually has more adult themes than GT.

Uhmmm... yeah. I'd like a word with you? =P
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

The graphic scenery and seedy nature of many of the crimes is probably a contributing factor. You can't really have much of a murder mystery without the mangled corpse in question, after all. Hell, just look at the severed head from last night's episode. Bloody heads and hanging bodies aren't that common in Dragon Ball, and Conan can't wish them back to life ten episodes later.

Also, where GT was still a children's show in Japan, Detective Conan was more prime time family fare if memory serves. Inu-Yasha's the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2