• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quote
I still have the same opinion of it I have always had; It's over rated, and boring. I never thought of it as anything that led to something sexual until that Azumanga Daioh videogame thing popped up on my screen where you're supposed to train them into being love slaves or something.

Anyway, basically I never liked what I read and saw of Azumanga Diaoh because it was just an exaggeration of my life, and so I was bored with it. My friends and I were nuts enough in highschool due to boredom, and also, I hated highschool. A show about some girls everyday life in highschool didn't appeal to me.
Iria51

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:31 am Reply with quote
I wasn't a part of the previous older thread, but Azumanga Daioh is one of those anime' that you either like or hate, there seems to be little middle ground. For me, I liked the point of view and the characters. The show was definitely goofy, but it was also a lot of fun. It's kind of like the Seinfeld of anime, it's a show all about nothing, and not everyone will get it or like it. For the record, I hated Seinfeld, so go figure.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Um, I didn't really start this thread to talk about whether AD is a good show or not. The first I ever heard about this show was on the linked thread, and what I heard (or rather read) about it as that it was lolicom, unless it wasn't. Now that I've seen the show and read the strip I have a hard time understanding how anyone could think it was lolicom, and I suppose it's time for a referendum on that idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Iria51

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:28 pm Reply with quote
If the person had the wrong mind, anything could be hentai.
echocharlie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Hey, a year and a half ago some folks on this board were accuzing Azumanga Daioh of being targeted at creepy perverts and being unappealing to females. Now that most of us have seen and read Azumanga Daioh it may be time to review and reevaluate. (The Azumanga bashing starts on page two of the linked thread.)

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1883&highlight=cuteness+phobia

Certainly, some parts can be perverted in the dictionary definition. And others in the more common colloquial definition. I sort of think of it as Seinfeld if it were set in a School and the cast was all girls.
kainzero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
how the hell can anyone think of azumanga as perverted? i don't get it.
yes, there are doujin spin offs of almost everything (referring to the love slave game), but that doesn't make the shows perverted.
azumanga is just a silly kick back anime, playing itself out perfectly like your average sunday comic strip. personally, i saw azumanga very similar to calvin and hobbes (although calvin and hobbes is much deeper and intelligent, whereas azumanga is sillier).

in fact, they make fun of perverts. see kimura-sensei.

reading that link on your thread just made me angry about stellvia (which is i believe is one of the best shows made) and it makes me wonder why people think that good looking animated girls = perverted.

it even suxx0rz more when you watch, say, uta-kata (which so far by ep. 5 is developing into a powerful depressing drama) when it's so obviously pedo-loli.
qollocust

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I love Azumanga! But some of the pervy fans creep me out.

One thing that I like about it is it's innocence. Here you have a show about a group of teenage girls getting through high school, but instead of dealing with mature themes that many high school shows thrive on, these girls are able to have silly random, almost childish fun. Notice none of the girls have boyfriends, or even think about that sort of stuff. Very rarely do male characters even appear in the show. This show sort of shows the other side of high school and actually reminds me a lot of how I lived my life before college.

It really bothers me when people can make anything perverted. Sure when you have a show with this many female characters you're bound to find some fanboys lusting after them. I've heard about a lot of the perverted fanfics/doujinshis/games (and unfortunatly saw some of them *shudder*) but none of that stuff actually happens in the show!

So, I guess Azumanga Daioh is a cutesy silly show about a group of friends growing up but maintaining their innocence. The fans of this show, however, can be really creepy.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
In having seen all of AzuDai, it is of my opinion that it is not a lolicon show. For me, it's a matter of the show's intent. If the creator's intent is to bring about sexual desire, then it's lolicon - if it isn't... then it's not.

Simply put, there is a difference between an individual who gets off based on his/her own skewed perceptions, and that which is designed to feed their perversion. I can't comprehend how anybody who uses critical thinking processes could see it otherwise.

I've seen/played/ and been made aware of several hentai games that are designed to feed the lolita fetish (including the every icky toddler con), and I can assure you that AzuDai (as it was written and animated) is far removed and categorically eliminated from the fetish. I'm well aware of a community that feeds on this fetish, and Azudai is certainly not the first thing that comes up.

Now is it perverted at all? Perhaps at times it is, but one should not confuse the issue with being lolicon.

Does it appeal to females? I know of several who enjoy it. I'd love to see statistics on who buys the series, but I doubt the number for females is so low that it would be considered unappealing for females.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh is nowhere close to perverted. Sure, there are some mature situations, but the average viewer wouldn't notice them unless they read the manga and/or paid attention to the series.

On the other hand, there's a anime out right now called Sensei no Ojikan. It's somewhat similar to Azumanga Daioh (not only because it's animated by J.C. Staff), but in terms of content, it's borderline perverted, mostly because of the homosexual references between two of the male characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
On the other hand, there's a anime out right now called Sensei no Ojikan. It's somewhat similar to Azumanga Daioh (not only because it's animated by J.C. Staff), but in terms of content, it's borderline perverted, mostly because of the homosexual references between two of the male characters.

And don't forget the homosexual references between the one girl student and the teacher (though the teacher doesn't reciprocate).

As for the the main topic here, Azumanga Daioh came off as totally harmless to me. I agree with echocharlie in that it really does play out like Seinfeld. I mean, nothing really happens during the course of the episodes aside from all the girls getting older and graduating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Osaka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:07 am Reply with quote
I don't see anything perverted in this show, it's just about high school girls growing up.
The closest thing to preverted behaviour is Kimura sensei and his fetish with high school girls.
Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Its really up to the person watching to decide but I think people just look at things the wrong way. Azumanga daioh isnt that bad. Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean you can bash it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
Just cause you don't like it doesnt mean you can bash it.

Just because you don't like it mean you can bash it with reasonable example on why it suck.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, regardless of the show's content, the fact still remains that the manga was originally published in what seems to be a lolicon magazine.
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Well, regardless of the show's content, the fact still remains that the manga was originally published in what seems to be a lolicon magazine.

Anime is a entire Lolicon Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It's a joke, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11