• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Quote:
pretty sure the pride color is international...

Most likely true within the gay-rights movement. However, Unlike the US, UK, etc, Japan seems to be a society in which minority social movements have much less sway. I'd be curious to know if this symbol carries much weight to the casual observer in Japan.
[/quote]

even if it isn't, the message being portrayed is still quiet obvious, and western viewers would of picked it up anyways. Think about in FLCL where they put the Southpark camoes in (3 total I think? a Kenny keychain, Noata looking like Kenny and the scenes @ the barber shop.) I bet a minority of Japanese viewers caught it, but we just ate it right up. There's enough clues throughout the series to give the sujestion that she's a lesbian, so might as well throw the pride color in too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
even if it isn't, the message being portrayed is still quiet obvious, and western viewers would of picked it up anyways. Think about in FLCL where they put the Southpark camoes in (3 total I think? a Kenny keychain, Noata looking like Kenny and the scenes @ the barber shop.) I bet a minority of Japanese viewers caught it, but we just ate it right up. There's enough clues throughout the series to give the sujestion that she's a lesbian, so might as well throw the pride color in too.
Rubbish. You only see her as a lesbian because you want her to be a lesbian in your mind.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
Rubbish. You only see her as a lesbian because you want her to be a lesbian in your mind.

Well, yea..because I'm trying to argue that there's a possibility that she is a lesbian...becaue I think she is...?

Based on the earlier responces in this thread, I'm not alone in this theory. They give us the evidence to consider it and so far in the series I've seen nothing that dispells it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:

Well, yea..because I'm trying to argue that there's a possibility that she is a lesbian...becaue I think she is...?

Based on the earlier responces in this thread, I'm not alone in this theory. They give us the evidence to consider it and so far in the series I've seen nothing that dispells it.
You'll have noted I never said you were the only one. I think those of you who are coming up with these theories are making waaay too much out of sooo little. You're sounding like the kind of persons that should have an exclusion order from school playgrounds. Rolling Eyes
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
well....that could be why but it dosent really matter if she's a lesbian or not its just that people interpret what they see diffrently...I see a lesbian, you see her as straight. Though I'm surprised you can't pick up on the fact that she might be a lesbian, come on they may not make it obvious but what do you need a sign pointing to her saying "she's a lesbian". Wink

Now that I look back at it I can see why people may not think that she's gay right away, but just a HUGE fan of Sakaki. What really makes me think she's gay is when she saw sakaki briefly naked in the locker room and her cheeks turned red and a big smile came across her face...she said something but I couldn't remember what it was...I think it was the episode were they first went into the school pool.

Last edited by omar235 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
well....that could be why but it dosent really matter if she's a lesbian or not its just that people interpret what they see diffrently...I see a lesbian, you see her as straight. Though I'm surprised you can't pick up on the fact that she might be a lesbian, come on they may not make it obviouse but what do you need a sign pointing to her saying "she's a lesbian". Wink

Now that I look back at it I can see why people may not think that she's gay right away, but just a HUGE fan of Sakaki. What really makes me think she's gay is when she saw sakaki's briefly naked in the locker room and her cheeks turned red and a big smile came across her face...she said something but I couldn't remember what it was...

I'm leaning towards obssesed fan/hero worship/creepy stalker, since Kaorin exhibits no equivalent behaviour towards other female characters.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rubbish. You only see her as a lesbian because you want her to be a lesbian in your mind.[/quote]Why is it so hard to believe that Kaorin could possibly be a lesbian? If you've ever actually watched anime before in your life, you should know by now that homosexual characters are actually quite common in anime and this kind of thing would be very natural for an anime show, especially a seinen series like Azumanga Daioh who's main target audience is young adult men. Even children's shoujo anime like Sailor Moon have lesbians, so why is it so hard to accept that Kaorin is a lesbian? Kaorin is never shown obssesing over any men in the series at all and she even comments in the first episode that she thinks Sakaki is a lot better than most of the guys in school and when Osaka says she's going to aim for Sakaki too, she starts to get all jealous and freaking out. At the very least Kaorin is most likely bi though more than likely a lesbian and unless the show has proof otherwise that Kaorin likes men, I'm going to go with what the show says because I find that what the show says is usually more reliable than some fan's suspections, unless you can prove otherwise that Kaorin likes men. Besides, if I was a girl and I was being constantly sexually harassed by Kimura, I'd turn lesbian, too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Why is it so hard to believe that Kaorin could possibly be a lesbian? If you've ever actually watched anime before in your life, you should know by now that homosexual characters are actually quite common in anime and this kind of thing would be very natural for an anime show, especially a seinen series like Azumanga Daioh who's main target audience is young adult men. Even children's shoujo anime like Sailor Moon have lesbians, so why is it so hard to accept that Kaorin is a lesbian? Kaorin is never shown obssesing over any men in the series at all and she even comments in the first episode that she thinks Sakaki is a lot better than most of the guys in school and when Osaka says she's going to aim for Sakaki too, she starts to get all jealous and freaking out. At the very least Kaorin is most likely bi though more than likely a lesbian and unless the show has proof otherwise that Kaorin likes men, I'm going to go with what the show says because I find that what the show says is usually more reliable than some fan's suspections, unless you can prove otherwise that Kaorin likes men. Besides, if I was a girl and I was being constantly sexually harassed by Kimura, I'd turn lesbian, too.
Tell me when any of the girls show an interest in a man, or boy? So by that conclusion you might as well say they're all lesbians then.
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk FTW! The only demonstrably hetero characters are the teachers, particularly the pedo Kimura sensei.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Mohawk FTW! The only demonstrably hetero characters are the teachers, particularly the pedo Kimura sensei.
So you're telling me that AzuDai is a yuri title then? Wink
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pieisexactlythree wrote:

Well, that's where you end up when you push this line of argument.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
pieisexactlythree wrote:

Now you've completely lost me there mate. My only arguement is that some are making tall forests out of peach fuzz.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"][quote="Kouji"]
Mohawk52 wrote:
]Tell me when any of the girls show an interest in a man, or boy? So by that conclusion you might as well say they're all lesbians then.

Tomo, epside 14, asks one of the teachers about relationships with men. She does it in episode 5 too. Razz
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:

Why do you need to push the line of argument to it's extreme? Is it so hard to just leave something as is?

Hisdon wrote:
Tomo, epside 14, asks one of the teachers about relationships with men.

Uhuh, so Tomo expressed some curiosity about guys. Wow. Not really the point either. People were just pointing out the (I would've thought) obvious fact that just because a girl doesn't show an interest in guys doesn't necessarily imply that she's a lesbian.

Last edited by Ramadahl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
pieisexactlythree wrote:

Now you've completely lost me there mate. My only arguement is that some are making tall forests out of peach fuzz.

really, if you don't believe she's a lesbian since they never flat out say it, that's fine, but it's not foolish based on the hints they give us to think she is/maybe one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11