• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime to the Big Screen

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D_man71200

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Transfomers yet but i heard good things about it. It has begun, this only means that there will be more cartoons becoming real movies. Is this good or bad, well we will have to wait and see. What do you guys think they'll try to convert next?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Begun?

Hell its started a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
What Dargonxtc said. In the '80s alone, we got live-action movies of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garbage Pail Kids, Super Mario Bros and a number of others that I'm surely forgetting (usually with good reason). Down the pike we're getting Speed Racer, Battle Angel, and possibly Thundercats and GI Joe.

Then there's supposed to be that EVA movie... That thing's got "train wreck" written all over it.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
D_man71200 wrote:
I haven't seen Transfomers yet but i heard good things about it.

But ... that's certainly not a case of 'anime to the big screen.'

The new movie (saw it today) is a throwback to the 1980s, to be sure, when the initial run of 'Transformers' was animated in Japan but clearly made-for-the-U.S.

As for the movie, I didn't hate it, but I certainly would never recommend it to anyone. The only good reason to see it is to see giant photoreal robots stomping around ... it succeeds more on that level than on the level of robots transforming into vehicles and back or, say, on the level of robots from Cybertron that have individual identities and personalities.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
What Dargonxtc said. In the '80s alone, we got live-action movies of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garbage Pail Kids, Super Mario Bros and a number of others that I'm surely forgetting (usually with good reason). Down the pike we're getting Speed Racer, Battle Angel, and possibly Thundercats and GI Joe.

Then there's supposed to be that EVA movie... That thing's got "train wreck" written all over it.

You forgot Tank Girl, Flash Gordon (I think). Eaon Flux, Double Dragon and that one movie with Raul Julia as the villian (drawing a total blank).

Studios grab a hold of whatever seems popular at the time and run with it. Especially something like the above movies. They can be made "fairly" cheaply, usually you only need one or two "name" actors - the others usually are someone who can do the role somewhat - and then time to get it done and in the theatres...hopefully before the reviewers can say that the movie really sucks and before fan word-of-mouth REALLY gets out.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Greg Aubry wrote:

You forgot Tank Girl, Flash Gordon (I think). Eaon Flux, Double Dragon and that one movie with Raul Julia as the villian (drawing a total blank).

Okay, with all due respect, we're getting some very poor examples here.

The live-action 'Super Mario Bros.' movie wasn't based on a cartoon, Japanese or otherwise; it was based on a video game, as were 'Double Dragon' and--starring Raul Julia--'Street Fighter.'

The live-action 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' certainly followed the cartoon craze, but took much of its storyline from the original comic books.

'Tank Girl' was NEVER a cartoon; it was a comic book, then a live-action movie that happened to have some animation in it. And 'Flash Gordon' certainly wasn't based on animation either.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
There also was a Guyver movie starring Mark Hamill from 1992, never watched it but it looked kinda stupid.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Okay, with all due respect, we're getting some very poor examples here.

True, but you have to admit they were all very, very BAD!

Quote:
and--starring Raul Julia--'Street Fighter.'

Thanks, can't believe I forgot.
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Shocked I thought Tank Girl was really good. It's a cult classic and I don't think many people consider it that bad Crying or Very sad .
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Shocked I thought Tank Girl was really good. It's a cult classic and I don't think many people consider it that bad Crying or Very sad .

Yup, I love it. My top guilty pleasure of all time. But then, I never read the comics, so I can't judge whether it was fair to its source material ....
KittiCat1031

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Avatar is being made into a movie. It's being directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I'm not sure if Avatar and Shyamalan are a good combination.
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
KittiCat1031 wrote:
Avatar is being made into a movie. It's being directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I'm not sure if Avatar and Shyamalan are a good combination.

whata TWIST!
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Shinjí90 wrote:
KittiCat1031 wrote:

whata TWIST!

This shows how desperate movie directors are now. They're all out of ideas so they decide butcher cartoons. Hopefully they don't make a Gundam movie...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Shinjí90 wrote:
KittiCat1031 wrote:

whata TWIST!

This shows how desperate movie directors are now. They're all out of ideas so they decide butcher cartoons. Hopefully they don't make a Gundam movie...

Not necessarily the Directors but the Studios. They don't want to be bold and take chances with something that might not make them buckets of money. So they use something that is popular or used before. That's why we have bad movies based on anime/cartoons or re-workings of older titles/foreign titles.

They don't want to take chances which is a shame because if they did, they might get something like The Usual Suspects. Which totally blew me away. While it was bloody, gory and foul-mouthed as all get out...it was GOOD! I didn't expect how it twisted and turned.

Or heck, even a chance like the Lord of the Rings movies. That studio took a HUGE chance, coughed up the money and it paid them off big time.

If you want a movie to be a true blockbuster...take the damn chance!
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Amasa wrote:

Yup, I love it. My top guilty pleasure of all time. But then, I never read the comics, so I can't judge whether it was fair to its source material ....

I heard it drifted a lot from the comics. Also so many deleted scenes because they thought the public would have a prob withspoiler[ tank girl shaggin her 'roo]

also on the topic of studios making bad movie based on popular or formerly popular cartoons.....

Alvin and the chipmunks...

Underdog.....

This is not a good year.for movies...neither is 2008.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7