• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh omnibus - ADV vs. Yen

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleb-kun89sw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hello. I've recently been trying to locate a copy of the Azumanga Daioh omnibus, but I just noticed there are two different versions of it. One from ADV and another from Yen Press. So I was wondering if they were different translations and if so, which one is considered the more definitive version of the series or which is just plain superior to the other? Thanks!
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
The translations are different. The original ADV translation was pretty bad, but I don't know if they changed it for their omnibus. The Yen Press edition is probably easier to find. In terms of content, I think they're the same.
caleb-kun89sw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Pretty bad? What do you mean?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
ADV's translation was done awhile ago and, as such, there is a lot more changes than is the norm now. For the time it wasn't probably all that bad but these days the amount of changes just wouldn't be done, especially on a title as culturally dependent as Azumanga is.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
And an annoying thing with the ADV omnibus edition is that they only include at the back the translators' notes for some of the volumes.
caleb-kun89sw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Really? What does Yen Press have at the end of their omnibus?

Sorry I keep asking questions. It's just I hardly know anything about the two versions. I read the first volume of ADV's version and enjoyed it, but I'm having difficulty finding their omnibus. Whereas Yen Press' version is easier to find. So I was just wondering if Yen Press' version is drastically different or better than ADV's or if I should just put in the extra effort to find ADV's version.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
That's my memory of the ADV omnibus: that (probably through error?) it only included the notes for the last half or so.
Though I haven't got it with me.

As others have said, the ADV translation plays pretty fast and loose with the jokes especially, often substituting English ones that work on a similar principle to the original, which is generally explained in the notes.
Again, that's my memory of it.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Aside from translation differences, ADV also didn't seem to put a great effort in paper and print quality for their omnibus release. I recall comments expressing little difference between that and their original four-volume release. The Yen Press release is very well-built, and I don't have any problems imagining it lasting for a long time.

If you want to buy Azumanga Daioh, you should feel pretty confident in putting down money for the Yen Press version.
Cheshire_Ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
That's my memory of the ADV omnibus: that (probably through error?) it only included the notes for the last half or so.

I don't have ADV's omnibus, but in their original four-volume release they only had translator's notes for volumes 3-4, so it'd make sense they don't have notes for the omnibus release, either.

I'd recommend getting Yen Press's edition. Though there are a few individual scenes where I think ADV did better, Yen is a lot more even. For instance, in the first one or two volumes of ADV's, Yukari is referred to as a Spanish teacher instead of an English teacher, but halfway through they apparently changed their minds and she becomes an English teacher as in the original. They changed a few other things like that, too, and the results were... mixed, at best.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Yen has translation notes for everything, and an index so you can find a strip by its name. I have it, and it's pretty solidly built.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
i got all 4 of the ADV ones and id say go with yen press. Its not to say i think they are unreadable or even really bad as i still enjoyed them but from what I've seen of the stuff yen press does its far far superior to anything adv ever did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1