• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shigofumi ~Stories of the Last Letter~.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
A superb episode, and finally spoiler[Fumi-chan wakes up!] Very Happy

Seriously! That bit just made me go WHAT. In a good way. It's really clever how they manage to weave in spoiler[the continuing Fumika storyline] with spoiler[other, more stand-alone stories].

I wonder if the writers are purposely targeting an "outcast" audience with this series? First there's spoiler[the high school bullying issue], then we get a spoiler[game dev who's basically ashamed of his geeky career and lifestyle]. It's like they're really trying to hit otaku where it hurts. What next, a shigofumi from a cosplayer?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
A superb episode, and finally spoiler[Fumi-chan wakes up!] Very Happy

Right, I forgot to mention that at the end there. Anime smile + sweatdrop Not exactly sure if it has anything to do with the fact that spoiler[the little girl in this episode was also named Fumi-chan or not, but I guess we'll see. It was probably just added on the end of the episode for the heck of it. Wink]

AG wrote:
Hands down, best shigofumi ever. But I agree with you, it was a bittersweet episode. It's kinda touching especially for "otaku" like the guy in this episode.

Yes, definitely very bittersweet. spoiler[You didn't want him to die, especially since he had just finally came to the realization of the goodness of his ways and was happy again because of it. But since he was probably going to die anyways, what better way to do it than to not only save his little niece's life and show everyone that he's not just some creepy molester (I also noticed how he was trying to protect the game from being broken at the last minute as well so she could still play it Anime smile), but also just the fact that he was able to die with his soul finally at peace.] Just great stuff. Sad, but great. Definitely an otaku's story. Smile
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
First there's spoiler[the high school bullying issue], then we get a spoiler[game dev who's basically ashamed of his geeky career and lifestyle]. It's like they're really trying to hit otaku where it hurts. What next, a shigofumi from a cosplayer?

I didn't get the impression that he was ashamed; more that his parents were.

I've got a little problem with the episode though: [spoler]cancer of the appendix? Seriously? Wouldn't an appendectomy solve that problem? Does such a cancer really exist? There's plenty of other cancers that aren't so ridiculous sounding.[/spoiler]
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Patachu wrote:
First there's spoiler[the high school bullying issue], then we get a spoiler[game dev who's basically ashamed of his geeky career and lifestyle]. It's like they're really trying to hit otaku where it hurts. What next, a shigofumi from a cosplayer?

I didn't get the impression that he was ashamed; more that his parents were.

Well, the way I saw it,spoiler[ his mom felt ashamed and tried to pass that onto him by guilt-tripping him about not having a "normal" job. Then comes the flashback scene where he wonders if his life is worth living, and that's where I thought he was feeling ashamed about it. ]

Either way I think he definitely did not feel confident about his path in life.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Next episode is the finale, but it's already aired in Japan. I can't wait. (Oh, and I know I said earlier that I didn't think Shigofumi was worth buying, but that was much earlier and now I've changed my mind. I plan on buying it once BVUSA gets it out. And I like the cover design of volume one.)

Just to clarify, I'm differentiating between the two Fumikas by labeling one "Fumi-chan" and the "Mika," like they do in the anime.

spoiler[I didn't like Mika's plan to have Fumi-chan shoot her. I've grown to like Mika like the others, even though her existence is a little strange (her being a secondary personality). If Fumi-chan really did shoot Mika there at the end, then she sure did change a bit. She seemed pretty confident and quickly made an accusation against her father. I hope that whatever Chiaki and that red-haired woman are planning helps bring Mika back.

Btw, I think that woman at the end was Fumika's mother.]

Two side notes:
1) Fumi-chan was playing Wii Sports! Very Happy

2) And I really like Kanaka much more than I thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Next episode is the finale, but it's already aired in Japan. I can't wait. (Oh, and I know I said earlier that I didn't think Shigofumi was worth buying, but that was much earlier and now I've changed my mind. I plan on buying it once BVUSA gets it out. And I like the cover design of volume one.)

I've kind of thought about this myself, seeing as how I've come to enjoy this series much more than I thought I would. I definitely wouldn't mind buying it, I just don't think it's necessarily on my priority list or anything. I could also swear for some strange reason I heard somewhere that someone said Bandai was trying to lower the prices on the DVDs, but I don't know. But if not, I don't think I'd buy it simply because of how pricey the DVDs are. We'll see I guess.

As for the episode, spoiler[yeah, I was wondering who that was at the end there! Anime smile + sweatdrop I guess it makes sense then that it's her mother. And even though I too was quite saddened to see her carry out Mika's plan, I felt like it was very nice to see Fumi finally be able to gain some courage and self confidence there, especially since that means she's gonna get that idiot of her father canned now! Twisted Evil

But that was definitely a great scene seeing Fumi play the Wii, wasn't it? Anime smile]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
II could also swear for some strange reason I heard somewhere that someone said Bandai was trying to lower the prices on the DVDs, but I don't know.

Here is that article I think you're referring to about the pricing.

Anyway, it's not a priority of mine right now either (I'm waiting to get Tweeny Witches), but I'm going to buy it when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Here is that article I think you're referring to about the pricing.

Anyway, it's not a priority of mine right now either (I'm waiting to get Tweeny Witches), but I'm going to buy it when I get the chance.

Yeah, that indeed it what I was referring to. And from the looks of things, it doesn't look like they've done anything since to drop the prices of them either. Oh well...... But that basically means that if I do buy it, it's gonna be a while before I do.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
OK, so Shigofumi has finally finished along with Spice and Wolf. Two very good series have come to a close.

The last episode was actually pretty good. spoiler[Fumika gets back at her dad, though it seems his book will still be publishing, but all that matters is that he's the loser in the end. Her mom was pretty useless, but I guess it was nice to learn about who could possibly consider marrying Kiramaki. She was a total freak though. (And I'm guessing that the lady who Chiaki met with in the second to last episode was just... there? At least she was interesting for those five seconds of screen time.)

Anyway, I'm glad that Fumi-chan and Mika were able to solve their issues about living/existing. Though there were still some unanswered questions, like how Fumi-chan is still dealing with the press and those charges against her father. I guess she's still living with Natsuka's family, but did she get over those problems with people at school?

I'm just glad that Mika was able to exist.]

I'll make a better post later when I have the time. Anime smile + sweatdrop I really did think the episode was good, but I just covered the parts that confused me or left me hanging.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished this series yesterday and while I liked how it ended, I must say I kinda wished that it was a little longer with more stand alone episodes about delivering shigofumi, although I guess it would be difficult to keep writing interesting stories without making them feel like fillers. Some questions still remain in my mind however like spoiler[did Fumi really shoot Mika and if so how did Mika return?] And spoiler[what was up with her Italian mother? I find it a little hard to believe that such characters like Fumika's father and mother could ever exist and get together to make a child.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there were still a few things that were unresolved. But I'm not sure if we could answer them in a sequel series or movie or whatever. I'm not even sure if it's all that important to know. But it still would have been nice to see more of some of those things though. Maybe they should have made it 13 episodes instead of 12?

But man, spoiler[you look at her parents and there's no wonder why she ended up like she did! Evil or Very Mad That's just plain old irresponsible and selfish. I'm glad Mika and Fumi were able to find a way to exsist together though, since I like both so much, and since they both deserve a chance at living life. Smile] Definitely a good enough ending anyways. Satisfying, but at the same time it would have been nice to see more.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I just finished up 7-12.(If you decide to read this super spoiler,please excuse my crappy typing)In episode 7 spoiler[ they finally fill you in on who Fumika's dad is,the guy is a flaky psycho who doesn't know how to raise his own.I would have shot him too.Instead,shit goes down and Fumika gets shot instead.Nooo Fumika!Episode 8 Fumi recovers and explains to the crew what she is.She's some sort of Personality entity.I did like Chiaki smokin that phatty Pipe though,she looked pretty bad ass.A real stylin illustration.I'm glad the Personality side Fumika resolved the problem with Real Fumika's father,make that bastard pay.It was wrong to do what he did.I'm content with everything playing out the way it did,also Kaname mentions his love for fumika,finally.It's hella embarrassing.Episode 9 told of Chiaki's story.The way they told it was a bit confusing though.I like Chiaki a little more now,car accidents are no way to go.Episode 10 kind of explains my Otaku situation now,but I'm way more headstrong.I also don't hang around little girls.Especially the ones who play animal crossing,they seem to get otaku's in jail or hit buy trucks.I teared up a lot in this episode.The girls innocent"What's wrong with mister?"had me near bawling.Uhhgg.Good episode.]

spoiler[ Episode 11 The real Fumika has awoken!,YES!...Wait whaa?Hmmmm.What does this mean for the Shigofumi delivering counterpart?Why does she still exist if the real one is awake?Then it cuts to Fumi and she says"I'm going to ask Mika to shoot me".This is a very odd episode.Aww she doesn't know how to eat Sukiyaki(she just came out of a coma,WTF)What's with the Wii product placement,Again.I did crack up though.I liked how Chiaki went out of her way to find a way for Fumi to exist.And I certainly didn't know how to take Fumika shooting herself.The episode then ends with a motherly face.]

spoiler[ Episode 12 Begins with Fumika giving a police report on how that scumbag Hirameki treated her,the media is all over it too Poor Mika then goes to school and gets some ridicule like the other characters in the earlier episodes.She has that awesome horrific look in her eye's of fear and panic when the class looks at her.We have all gotten that at one time or another,I'm sure.(Damn media and creeps with camera phones)After class,Mika gets surprised when Kaname calls her name.When Kaname asks her how she liked school,Mika strangely admits it to being fun.I guess since Fumi was shot by Mika in episode 11,Kanaka was assigned to another girl.Kanaka doesn't get along with others well."I accidently used the wrong code and burned my partner"LOL I always wondered why the other staffs aren't chatting?That would have been great.Maybe they aren't charged with a soul yet.It goes back to Kaname and Natsuka,they are waiting for Mika.Natsuka confronts Kaname about his feelings for Mika.Natsuka then admits she likes Kaname.Kaname admits he likes Natsuka too,Mika overhears.Later that night when confronted by Natsuka about a shot,Mika says yes.]

spoiler[ It cuts to the next day,Fumika's mother is finally introduced and she admits outloud to poor Mika that she wants nothing to do with motherhood and runs off.(That may sound strange,but it's common.The same thing happened to me,anyway)I feel sorry for Mika.The media snapping pics as well as her mothers news makes Mika snap and she goes running off.The policeman that was accompanying her,reports to the Kasai family that Mika ran off.Kaname and Natsuka come to the conclusion that she's in "That place".Sure enough we see Mika back at Hirameki's place with a gun to her head and a hand full of memories.There is nothing left for her.Her father is abusive,Mother don't want her,Kaname admited his feelings for Natsuka,Fumi is gone,she woke up to a world that wants nothing to do with her,nothing left but pull the trigger.Suddenly Fumi appears in front of Mika They have a fight Fumi smacks down Mika,three times saying "people on the outside world hate being hit."Mika tosses the gun to her spiritual self and says Why don't you shoot me this time,you want to disappear,right?Well it turns out neither of them wants to die,and they both Do have friends,they both want to be just regular girls.It's hilarious,its like arguing with yourself in a mirror.Both Fumika's break down into tears and just cry,while the others,Kanaka,Natsuka,Kaname,Chiaki and her staff Matoma stand by and observe.That's it.Now I admit,when I saw this I was pissed.I liked where the story was going but it was cut off too quick.Good beginning with a shitty ending.(I've cooled off since then.)I would like if there were more as BrothersElric said, but I'm satisfied with what was made.I look forward to owning the series.I'd really like to see a spin off,now that the story has been established.A movie perhaps?]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't think the last episode was as good as it could have been. I'm not sure how exactly it could have been better, but considering that I ended up laughing through nearly all of the dramatic climax of the series (spoiler[Fumi and Mika's shouting match]), the ending didn't feel as powerful as it could have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6