• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fajac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Bokura ga Ita and its tense but heartwarming storytelling. It was all quite believeable and real, but what I liked most was how well the emotions of the characters were transferred from the screen to the viewer. The music especially helped; so beautiful and so tense.

I can't quite remember what people thought of the ending, but personally I thought it suited the series quite well and it was definitely not a let-down in any way. spoiler[Basically, Nanami and Yano got to the point in their relationship where they truly loved each other, as evident in the final scene, and what matters is not what happens from that point on (whether good or bad), but the fact that they ever felt such a strong bond of love together. I thought it was really heartwarming, and although it was in a sense an open ending I didn't feel the need to find out what happened afterwards. But I did. And it makes me cry.]
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I am watching Harukanaru toki no naka de TV - I became interested in the series after I bought a few of the japanese manga (it would be great to read them in english.. it is very beautiful). It's a little like fushigi yugi, although much more matured in style and grace. I love the melodrama and the well-placed action scenes Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Though often saddled with too much melodrama and plot contrivances, Rumbling Hearts still stands as one of the better anime romances of the past year. Its complexity and willingness to step beyond traditional anime issues, as well as excellent voice work, is what helped attract and keep my attention.

The best one this year, though - and the one that, so far, I would label as my favorite - is Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girls ~. Though it sports a couple of huge gimmicks, it has a sweetness and sincerity to it which many anime romances try to pull off but few actually accomplish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I actually just slammed myself with quite a few romances this last week. Most recently was Rumbling Hearts. I watched a fansub on Stage6 and enjoyed it thoroughly; I actually just purchased the DVD Box Set through FUNimation yesterday. Although I'm deeply saddened to hear (on these forums) that the storybook wasn't subtitled on episode fourteen. Damn you FUNimation! [I only watch my anime subbed]

Another was Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. This one was really depressing, even though it was only 6 episodes. To me, the whole hospital scene with a young girl about to die and a boy who is extremely sick makes me cringe. This is where my knowledge on emotional psychology comes into play. Sad stuff, indeed. I'm also awaiting a DVD release.

Last but not least, Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu. Again, this one was another sad 6 episode anime. It was short and sweet, but had a sci-fi touch. A good series that is recommended by myself.

/j
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
[ramblings:]

Recently? Well, one I like is Lovely Complex which is a fun romp, more along the lines of "let's cheer the All-Hanshin-Kyoshin to get together/ kiss~!!" than a serious romance.

Another I particularly like is Nodame Cantabile. I hold it up as an extraordinary example of well done characterization and character development. It is a show where the people who populate it makes it great. Chiaki moves from a rather (intentionally) dislikable character into one of the best male leads in a romance I've seen at the end of the anime -- and the better thing is that he wouldn't be like that without Nodame, who's also charming in her own way.

Actually, the most amazing thing is that those two characters are so lovable in the anime and manga when in real life we probably don't like people like that too much. One is egotistic and a stern perfectionist and another is clingy and "difficult."

spoiler[When he hugs her at end I thought to myself that was the best ending for any anime I've seen in a while! Oh dear teary-eyed me!]

Although, even though I *love* Honey and Clover I always thought of it more like a Lifetime drama show (with a quality far superior to any Lifetime drama shows and a distinctly Japanese comedy) than a romance.

Oh, and I think of harem separately from "romance." I don't hate the genre -- even like many of the shows, by Seleukos Nikator -- but these shows don't usually have the "serious romance" feel about them. Not even "sweet romance," more like "comedy." (And in case of Negima, Action and Mahou Sho...nen?!)

For me, romance-centric shows that focuses too much on romance is annoying though. I avoid those dating sim-ish shows like it's the Spanish flu.

KyuuA4: lol. Rozen Maiden? Ahaha. I don't know why it's popular among the otaku myself since I think the show's not that great -- feels generic -- though admittedly Suiseiseki probably hits the Tsundere concept right on the head, Lucky Star definition correct even!
banas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Kanon 2006 is a really beautiful anime though I don't quite like the fact that spoiler[Ayu died]. Kare Kano is also beautiful, I could relate with the stroy of the two. Rumbling Hearts is also a beautiful anime and I like the story because it's really devastating to fight with your friend just for the love of a boy. Because of the similarity in the story, I also like Peach Girl, although I sometimes can't take all the things Sae is doing to Momo. I also like Love Hina because the promise they made, though they had forgotten it, is deeply touching and the anime is really great. Can you consider Full Metal Panic a romance anime? I know it's mostly wars with their AS but I really like Sagara-Chidori pairing though they fight a lot.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
banas wrote:
I also like Love Hina because the promise they made, though they had forgotten it, is deeply touching and the anime is really great.

Which promise are you talking about? If you mean the one that Keitaro made when he was five, then you know that it wasn't with spoiler[Naru, nor Mutsumi either]. If you watch Love Hina Again, or read the manga, then we get a third claimant to that promise. The manga goes much further story-wise than the anime, I definitely think it's worth checking out if you're a fan.

banas wrote:
Can you consider Full Metal Panic a romance anime? I know it's mostly wars with their AS but I really like Sagara-Chidori pairing though they fight a lot.

In Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, it goes into a little more detail about their relationship and school life together and has some nice moments. Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid also deals with their relationship some but the focus is more on action like the first series. I don't think any of these would really be considered romance anime, though there is certainly that element contained in each of them. But be sure to check out the other two series if you liked the original FMP, if you haven't already
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PhntmDrk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
right now the one that i'm interested in is Lovely Complex, a few people said they didn't like it, that it wasn't serious enough or something, but it gets better the more you watch it, i just really got into it

i dont know if it fits but i thought Shakugan no Shana fit into this category on some level, the main girl started to have feelings for the main guy but didn't know how to act upon it, but it also had a lot of action like a lot of people like, so if you like both its like killing two birds with one stone
banas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
banas wrote:
I also like Love Hina because the promise they made, though they had forgotten it, is deeply touching and the anime is really great.

Which promise are you talking about? If you mean the one that Keitaro made when he was five, then you know that it wasn't with spoiler[Naru, nor Mutsumi either]. If you watch Love Hina Again, or read the manga, then we get a third claimant to that promise. The manga goes much further story-wise than the anime, I definitely think it's worth checking out if you're a fan.

I know. Even if you don't watch Love Hina Again, you can already sense that one. But then, whoever that girl is, it's still so sweet. I would love to read the manga, but the problem is, I don't. I don't have much time nor much money to do it so I would be reading it.. in the summer I guess.

Last edited by banas on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ElementSun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
banas wrote:
I know. Even if you don't watch Love Hina Again, you can already sense that one. But then, whoever that girl is, it's still so sweet. I would love to read the manga, but the problem is, I don't. I don't have much time nor much money to do it so I would be reading it.. in the summer I guess.

spoiler[But doesn't the manga state that it IS Naru that Keitaro made the promise with? Unless there's a volume beyond 14...]
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:
spoiler[But doesn't the manga state that it IS Naru that Keitaro made the promise with? Unless there's a volume beyond 14...]

If we want to be specific: in the manga it turns out that spoiler[he made the promise with both Naru and Mutsumi, that all three of them would get into Tokyo U together. It wasn't necessarily that he would marry either of them in particular, even though they had spoken of that legend. That's not the impression that I got at least. But that was only really resolved in the manga and not any of the anime versions, IIRC.]

Also, we've probably threadjacked this particular topic enough already. Everyone else: we obviously love Love Hina, so definitely check into it if you're looking for a fun, slightly ecchi (Wink), romance comedy to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
I have always liked Kanon, and loved the remake more than the original version. which is a rare occurrence. I also liked Tokimeki Memorial ~only love~ which i finished recently, it was a great comedy and i really enjoyed the romance element to it. Sola, eventhough it didn't have the happiest ending i still believe it had a very well thought ending.
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
banas wrote:
Kanon 2006 is a really beautiful anime though I don't quite like the fact that spoiler[Ayu died].

I don't know why you think that but spoiler[ Ayu didn't die, after the fall from the tree she was stuck in a coma 7 years and what Yuichi met was just her dream which took on a physical form. It was later that she woke up from her coma and they lived happily ever after Anime smile the end. ] That pretty much sums it up. Very Happy
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching HanTsuki, and I have to say Yuichi and Rika are one of the best anime couples I've seen EVER. They're just so cute together - they really have good chemistry. I haven't watched episode 3 onwards yet, but I love how the story is unfolding. It's almost another forbidden love story - like the whole world is against their being together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kenki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
I've watched tons of anime which maily focuses on romance, most cases drama as well. My favorite one has to be Suzuka followed by Honey & Clover and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

There are many others that are good, such as Air, Kanon,Lovely Complex,Love Hina and so on, however I perfer the ones that are close to realism.

Suzuka is probably the most realistic romance/drama anime I've ever watched. Sure the story is rather unique and maybe not everyday experience, (I'd have to spoil to explain, so I won't even with the tag) but the way the story unfolds is very realistic. Most of the characters also have a good background and take heavy part in the story. The subplot is also superb. It shows unlike all other sports anime, that if you really put your mind to something, you can't just achieve it because you put your mind to it. Reality requires a lot more!
If you haven't watched this anime, I heavily suggest it. I've seen all the other series mentioned in this thread as well, and I still rate this one as the best. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I'm looking forward to more romance anime in the upcomming years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22