• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blame!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
I am seeking opinions from anyone who might have seen this. Reading bad reviews (including the one on this site) kept me from buying this DVD for a long time, which is really a shame because it is worth owning for the gorgeous artwork alone. Consisting of a series of short segments, Blame! lacks a coherent plot, but is has the dark, brooding cyberpunk atmosphere that I sorely miss in new anime (GITS: SAC notwithstanding, and even that is too lighthearted sci-fi for my taste). I read somwhere that the manga on which this is based is going to be turned into a full-length CGI movie. If that rumor is true, and the movie looks anything like what I saw here, I suspect it is going to kick ass. In any case, the DVD left me hungry for more.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
never seen the 6 OSV's but i love the manga. I'm hoping that the movie will get the green light.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I am one who saw this and thought it sucked. If you need a map to figure out the menu, it isn't worth it. I gave up before finding sub-titles, so I had no clue what was going on, I have no familiarity with the manga, which I found out after is an absolute must to have any clue at all what any of this means, and I didn't find the animation good over-all really. Yes, parts were pretty, but it was more like randomly finding one good picture to look at in the midst of a bunch of cracker-jack pictures. I thought it for as short as it was it could have wowed with the animation, but it didn't.
Now, maybe if I had read and cared abotuthe manga, I wouldn't have hated this, however as a stand-alone anime, it's sub-par in my opinion.
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am one who saw this and thought it sucked. If you need a map to figure out the menu, it isn't worth it. I gave up before finding sub-titles, so I had no clue what was going on, I have no familiarity with the manga, which I found out after is an absolute must to have any clue at all what any of this means, and I didn't find the animation good over-all really. Yes, parts were pretty, but it was more like randomly finding one good picture to look at in the midst of a bunch of cracker-jack pictures. I thought it for as short as it was it could have wowed with the animation, but it didn't.
Now, maybe if I had read and cared abotuthe manga, I wouldn't have hated this, however as a stand-alone anime, it's sub-par in my opinion.

Different strokes, I guess. I can understand why some people dislike it. I went into it without ever having read the manga either, but it left me curious about the manga with an interest in exploring it further.

Since the whole thing is only 37-minutes long, figuring out the menu in order to jump to a particular section should not be a pressing concern. I selected the first option on the menu bar and waited. The subtitles worked for me automatically. I am assuming that by "cracker-jack" pictures, you are referring to the stylistic simplicity of the character designs. I thought they provided the perfect contrast to the exceptionally detailed backgrounds and cityscapes, which are quite uncommon in anime by the way.

My appreciation of this anime goes beyond merely liking the pretty pictures, however. The creepy images and music were combined perfectly to convey a surreal and otherworldly atmosphere without seeming forced or gimmicky. My only problem was that it could have been longer. If there was more of it and it had a story, I could not have been happier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1