• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VIOLENT/GORE/BLOODY manga anyone? :)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
I really like these manga, but storeowners REFUSE to sell to me.. Sad (coz I'm a little girl and little girls aren't allowed to read and own those stuff Laughing )
Anyways, who reads them?

I just glimpse for scans on the net...

And they're raw too, so I can't really specify what they are..

If anyone could remember a manga with a guy being hanged from his skin, please tell me okay? Smile

So, what violent mangas do you read? Very Happy
Any particular ones that made you squirm or shudder? Very Happy
And if you have a particular bloody death, killing scene you'd like to show to me, I don't mind.. (I encourage it instead.. Smile )

Share thoughts and opinions.. Smile
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Your post is kinda all over the place there so I think this thread might be in jeopardy if you don't reorganize it a little and focus the direction.

Anyway, I read lots of mature manga. Anything by Darkhorse is pretty much guaranteed to be bloody and violent so when I feel like some gore I just pick out a Darkhorse.

Right now I'm reading Eden: It's an Endless World! and thats quite a gore-fest. People get their heads shot open and lots of stabbings and other deaths are present. The story and writing are very good too though so I'm not reading purely for the sake of violence.

Also reading Tanpenshu Vol. 2 by the same author (Hiroki Endo). It's a compilation of short stories by him and some are kind of hit or miss (Hang just seems like a strange hentai manga) I found the first volume pleasing.

I would also be further into Blade of the Immortal but some jerk hole bought out volumes 2 and 3 so I don't want to skip anything that early or resort to scanlations for them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can understand why store owners would refuse to sell mature manga to you if you're not old enough age wise to read them. You're just going to have to wait a couple of years to be able to buy them. What you could do though is import the Japanese version, then you'll have to read Japanese. And unfortunately we can't tell you where to get scans either. I am reading Hunter x Hunter right now. This series has a good pace to it, the action is on a moderate level but enough to keep you entertained. If anything you might be able to get this series.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a shôjo fan, but Beserk and Basilisk have blood and gore.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Berserk and Eden are two of my current favorites. I'm really interested in MPD Pyscho which sounds like it will make titles like Berserk and Battle Royale seem tame in comparison.

As for the OP not being able to buy them... well, how old are you? If the comic shop isn't selling them to you, try Barnes and Noble or Borders (or whatever big name bookstores are in your area). They didn't have any problem selling me Battle Royale when I was 16 or 17. But if you are, say 10, then they might may hesitate when they see those explicit content stickers and shrinkwrap (assuming they are still wrapped; all 16 volumes of Berserk are unwrapped at my local Borders).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I'm more of a shôjo fan, but Beserk and Basilisk have blood and gore.

That gives me an idea. For the original poster, you may want to check out Angel Sanctuary. On a pretty mature theme, action and violence, with a face off between angels and demons. I have to say that when I was reading this series, I was pretty hooked on it. Not only is their fighting, but there's also a bit of incest as well, do be careful and make sure you understand the themes of what you're reading.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Nothing like MPD Psycho to get the guts in a twist. I actually am in love with this manga because of the amazing depictions of gore and what it says about the people who commit violent crimes. I know that sounds awful, but the images are rendered in such a way it forces you to look at them. You simply can not look away or change the channel. Sure you can shut the book, but... er yah.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Heck, anyones VIOLENT/GORE/BLOODY manga list can't be complete without our good old Hellsing. The only violent Shojo that I can think of that can get pretty extreme at times is X/1999. Vagabond can get pretty violent at times. If your worried about your age then I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter and Bleach both have a fair amount of blood in it but nothing on the extreme end like Berserk or even Gantz for that matter.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to give another nod for Berserk. Definitely my favorite manga, and it certainly doesn't shy away from the gory details when someone gets sliced in half.

Now, all this talk about MPD Psycho has got me intrigued.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
The only violent Shojo that I can think of that can get pretty extreme at times is X/1999. V

I haven't read X/1999 (I don't feel like starting a series that may never have an ending), but Ceres: Celestial Legend (14 volumes) and Angel Sanctuary (20 volumes) are very violent and dark for shojo series. They also both have really good stories and both are completely available in English.
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
TO: blind assassin

Umm.. What do you really mean by "all over the place"? Question

Dark Horse? I've never heard of it.. Is it a publisher or what?

Eden...?Hmm..Stabbings, I never thought that they could be disgusting.. But hey, willing to see it!

Uuh.. No hentai-stuffs please.. Anime hyper
Seriously.. Shocked

To: fighterholic

I'm 16 now, But I look 11-12 something (small petite azn.. Laughing ).. Sad It sucks.. Sad And they don't believe my ID!!! Crying or Very sad
I'm 16 really!!! TwT

Must..check them all out!! Very Happy

*looks for scans*

Thanks all! *worship*
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, looking small sucks Confused But when you start getting facial hair like me, people will start to think that you're 25 or something like that. When I was 18 riding on the plane the stewardess offered me alcohol.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to reiterate once again that I personally thought that Yu Yu Hakusho was WAY more violent than Hunter X Hunter. But now that I think about it, it's mostly just stuff in the Dark Tournament arc, so you may have to skip all the way to it for your uber violence. Highly not recommended since I liked the story all the way up to that point, but I'd say once it does get that far, it really is one of the most violent things I've ever seen.

I really have to agree with those saying that Angel Sanctuary is is really dark and violent for a shojo series, which is just about the only thing I liked about it (I only read the first 3 volumes). But if you yourself aren't offended by some of it's themes, yeah, I'd definitely suggest it.

Oh, and I just HAVE to suggest Battle Angel Alita. Great overall series, but it really is quite the violent one as well. In fact, I was quite surprised at how violent it was.

Oh, and another one you would be able to escape the store with I'm sure is Claymore. It's kind of like a really toned down verson of Berserk (never seen or read Berserk, but that's what everyone says) but it's still quite violent.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I've got a series to suggest.

Anne Freaks - An excellent short series (4 volumes) in my opinion. It's quite the page turner, and there's quite a bit of violence and there's lots of blood to go along with it. Not to mention Yua Kotegawa's art is absolutely gorgeous (Anna is HOT! Wink). The story is suspenseful and many of the events are quite disturbing (which is the point of course). I will tell you that the ending isn't the greatest one, as it felt a bit rushed and it left more to be desired. That being said, personally I did like how it ended for the most part though. I felt that if it were to go on, it just wouldn't have been the same anymore since the main plot had been wrapped up pretty well. Plus, something happened at the end that I absolutely loved, as I'd been hoping for it during the entire series. That alone made the ending quite satisfying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokazahaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
i definetly reccoment battle royale. the first volume scared the crap out of me because the art has to much detail, its frighting. Its the goryest manga I've ever read and its absolutly amazing but i kind of weak, predictable story, but the ending is very omfg what just happend sort of thing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4