• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any anime similar to The Borrowers (life in miniature)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gromit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Anyone here a fan of Mary Norton's The Borrowers series of books? Or how about the Bromeliad Trilogy by Terry Pratchett? Or other similar "life in miniature" type of stories?

I am trying to find out if there has ever been an anime produced with a similar idea (characters being only a few inches tall, living in a "giant" world). Not sure why but these sort of books have always fascinated me and I thought, as an anime, the possibilities would be endless.

I have done my best with the search engine here as well as using Google but have had no luck in finding anything of this nature. Just thought I might ask here if anyone knows of something that might fit the bill. Thanks in advance.
Moros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ah, The Borrowers. I remember that movie.

Anyway, there is The Adventures of Mini-Goddess, which is a spinoff of the original Oh My Goddess! OVA. That's all I can think of though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
I can think of nothing quite like it, however Bottle Fairy had some little beings, and for that matter so did Sugar, a Little Snow Fairy.
Not quite the same, but maybe you'd be interested.
Gromit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into The Adventures of Mini-Goddess, it might fit the bill. Bottle Fairy and especially Sugar, a Little Snow Fairy might be a fair bit too "cute" for me, after reading some reviews but I will investigate further before making any judgments.

Regardless, thanks again for any ideas, keep them coming if anyone thinks of any more.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
You might want to consider Risky Safety then. It's gone out of print recently, but you should still be able to find it. Risky & Safety are mini sized... it's still cute, but I don't think it's quite as sugary sweet as those other titles, but that is a complete assumption on my part as I have not seen any of either one of those shows.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
No anime come to mind, but there is an American cartoon series about a boy who is tiney. I cant for the live of me remember what it is called though. Give me a few minutes, Ill see if I can hunt it up.

EDIT:
I found it. It is called George Shrinks. It is about a little boy who is only three inches tall, and all the adventures that ensue. It isnt bad actually, as a kids show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gromit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks! More stuff to investigate. I have actually heard of George Shrinks and even heard it wasn't bad....although I never paid enough attention to notice it was a cartoon featuring a tiny person, I had only heard the title and a few short comments about it. It's not anime but then neither is Avatar and I enjoy that. I will look into it further, thank you.

So far, the other suggestions have turned out to be a bit too fluffy/cute for me but I still really appreciate everyone's input. I would have never known where to look for these, its hard to run searches on this type of narrow scope. I would LOVE to see a slice of life anime, drawn a bit more realistically, lots of action, light hearted, not too wacky, with small people. Say, Patlabor meets Borrowers. Heck, just adapt The Borrowers. Oh well, I know its an awfully specific desire but one can always hope.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and ideas, its appreciated. If anyone thinks of any more, feel free to list them. Honestly, there have been more options listed already than I would expected. Gotta love forums, its where all the real information is. Thanks.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
Hey wait, isn't this a suggestion topic? Isn't that not allowed....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

I think it's another case of "special circumstances" - like the one with the biblical anime or whatever.. I don't think there are a lot of similar series out there..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gromit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
If I broke a rule, feel free to delete thread. Sorry.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

I think it's another case of "special circumstances" - like the one with the biblical anime or whatever.. I don't think there are a lot of similar series out there..

Ahh okay, I gotcha baby face. But as of now, I believe the only shows around that barely resemble the question has been answered.

Gromit wrote:

Where's Wallis, anyway? Find cheese in his trousers or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
jetz wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Ahh okay, I gotcha baby face. But as of now, I believe the only shows around that barely resemble the question has been answered.

baby face.. LOLz..

Gromit wrote:

I think that if this thread was supposed to be locked, it would've been locked by now. You're a newbie too, so don't worry about it Laughing
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
It's not anime, but another American cartoon that you may want to look into is The Littles.
Gromit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
I remember The Littles, it was a show that I enjoyed as a kid (have always liked these types of stories) but I saw one recently and wow, they haven't aged well. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2