• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Series Resurrected.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that more and more of the old fan favourites with a proven track record are being dusted off and repackaged, or yet another series is added to it, allegedly going further on from where it left off all those years ago? Could it be that the production houses have run out of ideas, or are getting too much back lash ( no pun intended) from the non perverted fan base fed up with all the Yaoi, moe, loli, and hentai that seems to be the only "new" anime released these days? Maybe this is what Mr. Anno meant when he said "anime is getting stagnant" before announcing EVA Resurrected.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
There just might be a backlash.

Or they are getting the idea that those of us in the West, or outside of Japan at least, want to see older titles that haven't been seen in a while or haven't made it here.

Just look on ANNs front page! Clamp School Detectives is going to be released on DVD! This title was last in the United States...when?

Seeing that caused me to squee like an insane fangirl. Plus it has given me hope that other titles koffSailorStarskoff will be released here as well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well that might have some influance but not as much as if it was from their own internal fandom. We never hear much about what the Japanese fans think about issues like this, and what we do get is rather vague.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I like it when they take older series and rerelease them in repackaged box sets. The once 200 dollar Tenchi Universe series, which you would be hard pressed to find for less than than is now 40 bucks. Dayum!
Moros

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't like how Slayers is going to be put out again with FUNimation, they could go ahead and up the quality but an entire new dub and what-not? I mean it was good teh first time, don't need new voices, if that's what they're doing. Although I don't think they are or should.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that more and more of the old fan favourites with a proven track record are being dusted off and repackaged

I know, just look at Trigun and X. Trigun, the original DVD versions came out(pioneer and signature series), then the LE tins were released recently along with a REMIX version. For X, I felt that Geneon had too many releases for this series, the individual vols. 1-8 with an art box and LE slipcase(which are worthless now), Vol. 1-8 boxset, vol. 1-4 boxset, vol. 5-8 boxset, REMIX boxset, and the individual REMIX dvd's(I own the first 3 volumes). Watch Geneon come out with a REMIX version of Hellsing sometime soon.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Not just old fan favorites but series that never got released or never completed their US releases and are considered classics are starting to get some attention. I'm talking about ImaginAsian's plans to broadcast and then release shows like Orguss, Cat's Eye and Nobody's Boy - Remi which I'm really excited about. So maybe they are thinking that some of todays shows might be getting stagnant, I don't know. If anything though, like some have said, it does make room for other potential series that maybe we missed or have never seen from way back when to finally come about, like the shows IA is planning.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I don't like how Slayers is going to be put out again with FUNimation, they could go ahead and up the quality but an entire new dub and what-not? I mean it was good teh first time, don't need new voices, if that's what they're doing. Although I don't think they are or should.
Slayers isn't getting a new dub -- aside from some improved audio and video, the re-releases are going to be pretty much the same as the Central Park Media DVDs released back at the beginning of this decade. Maybe Funimation will put the subtitles in "FuniFont" rather than CPM's style, but given what they said at Anime Central, I can't imagine them doing much more.

I think Geneon's just the latest company to go through the "We need money, let's re-release old stuff" phase as ADV and Bandai did in the last couple of years. Seeing all these new Tenchi sets has actually piqued my interest in the franchise a bit, since I didn't want to buy expensive boxed sets or fill my shelves with 8 Signature Series DVDs for each series. Now if only they'd re-release the original OVA with the cool extras for cheap, then I'd start collecting.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I have this scene going through my head:

US anime guy: Hey Boss! Our sales of that new show with the expensive liscense are really slow!

US anime guy 2: It looks like fansubs and high DVD costs are cutting into profit... plus it looks like all the other new shows out there.

US anime boss: Hmmm... I know! Let's get some old shows and release them- they're won't be fansubs out, we can charge less becuase the liscense is cheaper, and the old-shool art will stick out between the new CG-colored shows on the shelf.

US anime guy 1&2: Brilliant, boss!

Us anime boss: I know. Now get that DDR machine fixed, wouldya?

Likely? No. But a bit funny to think about. Very Happy
Moros

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

US anime guy: Hey Boss! Our sales of that new show with the expensive liscense are really slow!

US anime guy 2: It looks like fansubs and high DVD costs are cutting into profit... plus it looks like all the other new shows out there.

US anime boss: Hmmm... I know! Let's get some old shows and release them- they're won't be fansubs out, we can charge less becuase the liscense is cheaper, and the old-shool art will stick out between the new CG-colored shows on the shelf.

Sounds exaclty right to me. I just wish it didn't.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

Sounds exaclty right to me. I just wish it didn't.

Who cares? The new anime fan gets exposed to a classic series, the old anime fan gets his nostalgic fix for a fraction of the original cost, and the head honchos get their DDR machine fixed. Everyone wins.
Souppy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Rebuild of Evangelion... That's what I call an ''Old Series Resurrected''. New backgrounds, new graphics, new environnement.

Did I enjoy this anime?... Yes.
Do I believe that the series needed to be ''rebuilt''?... No.
Will the new movies be better than the original series?... Most probably not.
Will I actually see the ''rebuilt''?... Yes.

That's what almost all Evangelion fans would answer to those questions and this is probably why producers are resurrecting old series and/or releasing new editions for their animes. Why creating new concepts that might not work while we can recreate a top rated series that will be seen by everyone? It's bad to think that way, but they know it will work.
Moros

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2