• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Japanese Questions, for a class.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I am writing a Samurai story for my Creative Writing class, and I am in need of some assistance.

I need to know if any one out there knows about any sites that would give me examples of Japanese names, and information on the Meji Restoration period.

any assistance you could provide would be appriciated.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
are you looking for fictitcious names or real names of Samurai/Japanese people? I would think that a google search would be good for starters. If you have access to a book on Japanese history, that would be another good resource.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Look it up. Go to the library, or use google. I dont know about everyone else, but I'm not doing your homework for you.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Not asking you to do any thing for me at all. I just was trying to make my internet search easier. I am looking more for what names mean. For instance, we all know Sakura means Cherry blossoms. That is the kind of info i am looking for.

As for the time period, I feel stupid for not thinking about dragging out my Japanese History book, thankyou for rminding me about that.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
What about a Google search: "Japanese" + "Names" + "Meanings"?

I already found a comprehensive list in the very first hit. It didn't even take 10 seconds.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Thankyou I will try that right now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Look it up. Go to the library, or use google. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not doing your homework for you.

When he asks, "Can anybody give me some names or places that I might be able to use for my project?" Then you may say what you just said. Instead, he was asking for a place to look for possible names or events to put in there. Any one of us could have told him to google or go to the library.

Wikipedia would not be a bad source, just look up Japanese history.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

I know you're just looking for help, but it really doesn't belong here. We're not a homework resource unless it can carry an interesting conversation about anime. Figuring out what key words to type into google really doesn't fall into that realm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1