• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
why no signature?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicho

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
that's my question, why don't you add guys a signature ^^ the forum will be more cute well that xD take care cya Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
manicho wrote:
the forum will be more cute

Administrators and the majority users of this site do not think so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok, while the OP may have been lacking I have asked this question myself. So, why are no signatures allowed? I understand people will want to go overboard but you could easily just set limits much like with the avatar size. Make the signature text only and only a certain amount of words or letters. That's just my suggestion. I personally would like them so I could post the same signature I use everywhere, Webster's definition of sarcasm.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
I dunno.. I think it's cleaner without signatures... people seem to be using their location as a sort of signature anyhow...

I see a signature as a creative output, avatars are fine for that IMHO.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I dunno.. I think it's cleaner without signatures... people seem to be using their location as a sort of signature anyhow...

I see a signature as a creative output, avatars are fine for that IMHO.

Signature can be as you suggest very creative way of people showing what their like and their favorite shows.....the problems is with everyone different colors and theme in their signature the boards just become so much harder to read and navigate. I personally like the clean and simple look to the forums here but I know other site that use them, and it's alright with me.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
Well, one can always go to this other site and make signatures to their heart's content. I have to say I prefer the clean, signature-less look of these forums...judging by teh rules, sigs were allowed at some point in the past, and the decision was made to disable them. I mean, the folks at AoD like their sigs, and that's fine, but most sigs over there wind up being licensing wishlists and community inside jokes that new users won't get (like the whole "casually" thing, I still don't get that). I'd rather not read that stuff over and over again in every thread. That's just my preference, and I'm just using AoD as a comparison since it's also a large-scale, heavily trafficked (legitimate) anime information site.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with ANN no signature rule. Because most signatures that are made is really idiotic. So,no need for that feature on ANN.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with signatures (the pic free ones, at least) but I don't see any real need for them here either.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
No signatures is fine. I have a signature on several other forums, so not having one here is no biggie. I tend to use the same signature from place to place, so whenever I do change my signature, ANN would just another step in the change process. Plus, this forum has a nice clean cut look with no signatures. I like that. At least we've allowed our precious avatars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Because they're a completely pointless waste of space.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I honestly would like signatures here. But eh, it isn't a big deal to me if they don't allow them. I'm fine either way, but if I was given the choice I'd choose them.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just my pc but, signatures specially those GIF ones makes loading a page take longer than usual. Though some are really cute, I prefer not to have them here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Maybe it's just my pc but, signatures specially those GIF ones makes loading a page take longer than usual. Though some are really cute, I prefer not to have them here.

That's why I thought text only would curb that problem. However, since staff don't want them we won't have them. I agree with PG, if I had the choice I'd like them but I can easily deal without them.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is: we'd better not get signatures before we get 100x100 25kb avatars.

The thing about signatures is this: they're cute and fun and all the first time you read them, but after that, they're clutter. We try to keep people from wasting everyone's time here, thus the "no excessive quotes", the "this is not a chat room" rule, and the no off-topic forums; if someone came to ANN wanting to play with signatures and make a thousand posts with pictures of owls saying "O RLY?", they must have been mistaken somewhere along the line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1