• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Titles: Some are misleading!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering how many others have had experiences with misleading titles of anime. A few examples I would like to give are

Princess Tutu: This title seems to put a lot of people off as it did me as well at first. The title seems too syrupy sweet to have a show that is any good. It reminds one of the Barbi and the 12 Dancing Princess (or swans or whatever) kids shows. Yet inside the walls of these disks is housed a tremendously wonderful gem that I have as yet to hear one person say they didn't like it. Maybe that person is out there, but they probably prefer torturing small animals over watching anime, so who knows if I will ever hear of that person. The point is, the title doesn't lead you to believe you will be seeing one of the best anime around.

Another title that I put off getting for a long time was The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. This title was simple uninspired and boring and didn't make me think it would be fun to watch, which I recently finished it, and it was fun to watch.

I am sure there are other titles that fit into this catagory and I would like to hear some of yours. I only named a few that were better than the titles, however I am sure the opposite could be true as well... maybe it has a superdeluxe title and sucked. Lets hear what you all think.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I loved the title The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It sounded funny, so I bought it on a whim, and was glad later.

But yes, a lot of the dubious titles come from the Japanese trying to use English. Apparently some people think Kiddy Grade is dirty-sounding (get your mind out of the hentai gutter!).

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is also misleading when you don't realize it's a parody.

Naruto is misleading, as one may assume it's about ramen. OK, just kidding.

Reign: The Conqueror is my nomination for worst title ever. It's misleading because it's about Alexander the Great and the title totally fails to convey that! If they just translated the original title, "Alexander Senki", everything would have been fine, but they had to go and come up with the most banal and generic title ever.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with you, bonbonsrus, on Princess Tutu. The title really does sound like some silly little kiddie show. Yet it really truly is a masterpiece. Such an enchanting fairy tale. Everyone should give Tutu a chance.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, bonbonsrus, on The Irresponsible Captain Tylor though. I thought the complete opposite when I saw the title. I thought "Wow, an irresponsible captain? I've gotta see this!" Maybe it's because I'm one of those so called military brats and I know that a real captain has to be the complete opposite of irresponsible. I went in expecting a fun comedy, and that's exactly what it is.

One example that comes to mind is Please Teacher. I shied away from that title because to me it sounded like a hentai. It wasn't until friend of mine on another forum who I know would never watch a hentai posted some screenshots there and recommended it as a good series to watch when I asked him about it. So I watched it and liked it. It turned out to be that it's a nice romance comedy/drama. I'm glad to have watched it. Though nowadays I normally refer to it as "Onegai Teacher." Doesn't sound so bad when using the original Japanese title.

EDIT: I agree on Kiddy Grade. Like with Please Teacher, I shied away at first because of the title.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue May 08, 2007 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I been mislead by Bleach. I thought it was a show about some bottle of bleach having supernatural powers that can cause mass destruction and that bottle fights ghosts too. The bottle would say "Spirit be whiten~!" and then the bottle splashes beach all over the enemy.

Also with Full Metal Alchemist, I thought it'll be like a robot with alchemic powers & such. I was wrong, he was only part metal.

Also with Busou Renkin, thought that the character would have arms of alchemy & such but it turns out to be bad translation. :3
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Yes, I been mislead by Bleach. I thought it was a show about some bottle of bleach having supernatural powers that can cause mass destruction and that bottle fights ghosts too. The bottle would say "Spirit be whiten~!" and then the bottle splashes beach all over the enemy.

I forgot about good ol' Bleach. That title just sounded so stupid to me at first, compounded with the fact that I was always finding images of Kon associated with it, so I avoided it thinking it was a kiddie show. Boy, was I wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
OK I'm probably the only one who thought that R.O.D the TV was about reading books and libraries. Plus Yomiko Readman did kind of look like a librarian - wearing too much clothing and glasses too. I was very surprised when I found out they were controlling paper and using them for fighting, and I was asking myself "So when does the reading or dying part come in?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
forever_young

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Also with Full Metal Alchemist, I thought it'll be like a robot with alchemic powers & such. I was wrong, he was only part metal.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Btw, Full Moon is not hentai, in case anyone was curious.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Coyote Ragtime Show is a bit of an odd title. It made me think of coyotes (animal kind not the human smuggler kind) in a song and dance troup.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
OK I'm probably the only one who thought that R.O.D the TV was about reading books and libraries. Plus Yomiko Readman did kind of look like a librarian - wearing too much clothing and glasses too. I was very surprised when I found out they were controlling paper and using them for fighting, and I was asking myself "So when does the reading or dying part come in?"

Well three of them would probably have shriveled up and died if they weren't able to read...
mind over matter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
since my preferences in anime are romantic comedies, I was attracted to titles like Dear Boys and crescent Love. The latter was a romance, but it was to serious for my tastes (don't get me wrong, it it's own rights it was still a good anime). I'm one of those people who haven't watched Princess Tutu because of the title..but now seeing what you guys said, I'll add it to my list of "to watch". The OP of BECK made the show seem interesting...like it would be about a Japanese exchange student in America (for a change of the other way around, finally) but watching the first five or so episodes disappointed me in that regard.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Coyote Ragtime Show is a bit of an odd title. It made me think of coyotes (animal kind not the human smuggler kind) in a song and dance troup.

I haven't seen any of this yet, however I would completely agree if this show is indeed not about dancing/singing coyotes, which I recall from previews it isn't.
Edit: I also always read your name as LadyDianne which isn't correct...

I agree about Kiddy Grade as well, I thought it was about something else for a long time and just saw the first disk last week. While I am not blown out of the water on this show, it certainly isn't what I thought it would be.

to Iritscen, you have seen all of Reign than? I recall catching a few eps on tv a long time ago and couldn't ever get into it, is it worth watching or not really?
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
to Iritscen, you have seen all of Reign than? I recall catching a few eps on tv a long time ago and couldn't ever get into it, is it worth watching or not really?

You know what? That's a loaded question. A lot of people seem to hate the show. I thought it was daring and brilliant.

Basically, any hopes you might have of historicity should be thrown out the window. But it's this kind of alternate history that I love: advanced war machines (but built on what they had available at the time), assassin cults and ancient philosophers with mystical abilities, Alexander's own powers... I liked it, but it's so controversial that I can't recommend it outright. If you can watch the first episode somewhere for free, and you like it, you will probably like the whole (short) series. The ending was somewhat disappointing, though.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Yugo the Negotiator

I thought it was going to be a lot to do about negotiating. Boy was I wrong. Can't really elaborate more than that with out spoiling it.

As far as Princess Tutu, I thought the name fit the story quite well, but I must be in the minority on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've been avoiding Princess Tutu all this time for that exact same reason, and have been too stubborn to listen to anyone here about it being a masterpiece for that reason as well, but after hearing just now that the title is misleading, I think I'm going to check it out now.

Millennium Actress had me fooled at first for being just some pop-idle type series, but once I heard it was by Satoshi Kon, I new it couldn't be anything of the sort. Still haven't tried it yet, mostly due to time and money restraints, but I plan on renting it very soon.

D.N. Angel I thought sounded like a way awesome Sci-Fi/Fantasy-type shounen series where (and I saw an AMV for it when I was introduced) a kid is genetically altered to turn into an angel-like thing to battle against evil or something, but it turned out to be something quite different. I still liked it nonetheless.

Death Note didn't really mislead me with it's title, but I did think it was going to be a more action/fantasy oriented series, only to find that, well, it wasn't. Even still, I found it's story to be intense and exciting enough to still enjoy it.

Angel Sanctuary I went into expecting it to be a good fantasy/action series with a good pro-religious, pro-christian storyline where angels are fighting against the forces of hell to protect humanity, but boy was I DEAD wrong!

Full Metal Panic! was actually introduced to me by someone who said it was his favorite series, and I thought it had something to do with Fullmetal Alchemist. In fact, I asked him if it did, and he kind of looked at me like I was some kind of idiot.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Bleach is the most misleading title ever! As soon as I heard the title thought it was a comedy about the japanese washing their clothes with the awesome power of Bleach. But I was way off on that issue. Mine second misleading title is Ghost In the Shell. I thought it way about the life of turtles who are ghost. I actually thought that was its about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5