• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
realistic manga about computers and technology

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riprock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hi there.
I want to read manga that have a lot of discussion of computers and technology, preferably in realistic terms. (So something like "Ghost in the Shell" would be less useful than even "Battle Programmer Shirase.")

A lot of my acquaintances are encouraging me to read sports manga, but I refuse. If I'm going to be involved with exercise, it will be in the real world, and I will burn calories doing it.

If I could read a (relatively realistic) manga about computers, however, I could pick up some vocabulary words that I could use in real life.

Thus far about the only series I can think of is "PlanetES."

Thanks.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Akihabara @ DEEP. A group of young programmers trying to create a new form of AI, with many obstacles (economical and technological) in front of them. This is by far the most "realistic" manga on IT industry.

riprock wrote:
Thus far about the only series I can think of is "PlanetES."

This one is far from realistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse released a manga that I believe was vaguely based around computer programming called Version back around '94 or so. I believe they released 2 volumes of the series in single-issue format....no idea how much of the series exists, as it's not in ANN's encyclopedia, and it's pretty old so it might be hard to find, but it'd be worth looking for. I read an issue or two of it "back in the day" and remember liking it but that's about all I remember.

EDIT: The author of Version, Hisashi Sakaguchi, passed away in 1995, I think while DH was releasing Version, and they ended up stopping production on the series (whether simply because he had died or because they ran out of material, I can't say). Still, you can see the covers for the two Version miniseries here and here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
riprock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1