• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Really annoying size options.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Does it bug anyone else when people write in this size to add something extra to their discussion? Because it bugs me! Evil or Very Mad
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
1) Don't like it? Don't read it.

2) Copy and paste it to your address bar or something and it will automatically make it normal size.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
We only do it because we want to keep secrets from you. We're all talking about you behind your back. And laughing. Laughing.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Does it bug anyone else when people write in this size to add something extra to their discussion? Because it bugs me! Evil or Very Mad

This is just yet another example of computers giving people more ways to be moronic and annoying. When I first started typing many years ago there was only one font size my typewriter could handle out of the box. If I wanted additional font sizes I had to buy additional hardware to make it happen and none of them got so small that you couldn't read them. Now people have discovered that computers will allow then to do all sorts of idiotic things with their posts and they just can't seem to stop themselves from using every stupid 'feature' they can get their hands on. In some cases certain potentially annoying features appear to have been disabled on ANN. In other cases the moderators pick up the slack with warnings and edits. But, in the case of super-small text that can't be properly displayed on virtually any consumer-level monitor no action has ever been taken, at least to my knowledge. Personally I think that it's a nearly worthless feature that should be disabled.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Well I love it!! Not really but it doesn't effect the way I read posts, so it doesn'tbother me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
10円

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Well I love it!! Not really but it doesn't effect the way I read posts, so it doesn'tbother me.

In case you missed it, this is what our resident IQ vacuum had to say...

Why does ANN allow that but not POINTLESS PINK TEXT? They're both equally stupid and equally unreadable, so what's the difference?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Why does ANN allow that but not POINTLESS PINK TEXT? They're both equally stupid and equally unreadable, so what's the difference?

Because color change usually results in the whole post in some other color while when text is made small it is only done for a sentence or two. Also it's usually done for a reason while color changing is often just done for the hell of it.

See? Only seven words; you're not missing much.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Because color change usually results in the whole post in some other color while when text is made small it is only done for a sentence or two. Also it's usually done for a reason while color changing is often just done for the hell of it.

See? Only seven words; you're not missing much.

Ah, but the color change can be easily avoided through highlighting, while the small font must be copy and pasted or some other process which involves wasting a bigger chunnk of time and effort.

I don't care much for the small font. I can squint and read the size that abundai used earlier, but it aggravates my headache. The smaller text I used to hit quote, so I could see it. Then I realized I was going through more work than the comment was usually worth. So, I no longer bother with anything in small font. I've found I'm not really missing out on anything.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The small font size option doesn't bother me at all. Although they are hard to read. We usually post them as secret messages. I usually copy and paste them onto the adress bar to see what it says. But no, I don't hate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

In case you missed it, this is what our resident IQ vacuum had to say...

See, I'm so good I take YOUR IQ for MY own, I lock the cashbox because I'm a smarts vampire that likes to use stupid commercial catch-phrases for songs that you would have to know the name of to get on your stupid phone in the first place SO YOU CAN'T MESS IT UP WHILE SINGING IT!!!

*breath* whew, anyway is that how that really looks beefed up? That's kind of cool.

And I've also wandered why the font coloring is not allowed but the size is. Both canbe annoying and both can easily be overcame by either highlighting or quoting so it doesn't really matter either way, but stiil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
Usually when people use extra small font that has to be meddled with to be read, they're adding something extra to their discussion. For example in this post, what was said in the minuscule font could easily have been said in brackets, spoilers, italics, or in a separate paragraph. Even if it was in a different font bigger than size=3, it would be fine. Sure it's getting a little pedantic, but if colored writing which was far more easier to comprehend than this was not allowed then maybe things should be changed? The only reason I bring this up now is because I've seen so many people adding smaller sizes to their texts now than before.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Personally I think that it's a nearly worthless feature that should be disabled.

Please file your complaints to companies not using the same font size for their PRODUCT'S NAME and EULA / disclaimer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
10円 wrote:
Personally I think that it's a nearly worthless feature that should be disabled.

Please file your complaints to companies not using the same font size for their PRODUCT'S NAME and EULA / disclaimer.

Since when did a EULA look like this...

I'm not blind, I can read very small print when the text is actually printed at 600+DPI instead of viewed on a monitor at ~75DPI.

In any case the issues are completely unrelated, but I see that this didn't stop you from trying to tie them together with silly string. Better luck next time.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:01 am Reply with quote
Jeez, who knew this was such a big deal? I have a much bigger problem with all the poor grammar I see whenever I read the forums here, but I'm not going to throw a fit about it.

I for one, as Amasa so kindly decided to point out, am guilty of using a very small font to make "aside" comments. I never realized I was causing people so much grief and will refrain from doing so in the future. Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
ANN has already taken off buttons of font color and font size from the toolbar to discourage people from overusing them. Even if they are banned completely from this forum, people can still get around it by using picture-text or whatnot. What's next? Banning using the [img] tag? How about those who overuse emoticons? I remember there even were people complaining about posts fully covered with spoiler tags (couldn't find the specific post, though).

No matter what ANN does, there's always some people trying to get around it with some methods, and there will always be some other people hating those methods. It would be unavoidable, unless ANN wish to become a forum completely without any formatting function.

Right now, people overusing obscure formatting (or emoticons) would have his/her posts ignored, reported, warned, or even banned. I think this system is sufficient enough. You just can't tell everyone to stop using knives, scissors and pins just because you alone have belonephobia. We'll try not to use [scissors / small font] in front of you out of decency and courtesy, but you are unable to, nor have any right to, stop me from using them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2