• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Diving Into The Crunchyroll Vault

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Holy crap—Popful Mail is coming to the Switch! The original PC-88 side-scrolling RPG will be released on the Japanese Nintendo eShop this July 11th. Sadly, no word yet on an American release, but man, am I hoping... If you're planning on nabbing the Japanese port, just know that only certain menus are in English; the rest of the game is officially untranslated.

Every single Eggconsole release has received an English release, & Popful Mail is no different. The only guaranteed English will be for the non-game "wrapper" menus, while English within the game itself is 100% dependent on how much the original game itself had from the start.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
It's a shame Sakaguchi doesn't wanna return to FF when some parts of VII were mainly his creations like Aerith's character or how he sees death.

Meanwhile, Mega Man X gets ridiculous too with sexualizing robots. To make it ridiculous, X, Zero and Axl have never wore clothes so I guess they were born as Nudist Hunters. Probably, the series kinda died since Inafune left Capcom and the remake Maverick Hunter X was actually good unlike x7 but never ported. There was also about Breath of Fire staff members making the RPG spinoff Command Mission but nothing of that game was touched again except for X's cool scarf which even made it to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Not really sure I'd frame the PS3/360 generation as particularly hostile to JRPGs -- as I recall, the main issues facing the genre were threefold: there simply weren't very many JRPGs being released (especially relative to the golden age that was the prior two generations); of those few that were released, very few were really all that good; and, likewise, of that first few, many were stuck on the Xbox 360, a platform largely catering toward more casual players who were mostly just interested in first-person shooters.

For every genuinely great game like Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia, there were a half-dozen (or more) mediocrities like Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery, Magna Carta 2, White Knight Chronicles, etc., etc.

And it's not like JRPGs were the only genre affected -- 3D platformers and flight combat games likewise were greatly diminished, arguably to an even greater extent, for similar reasons.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Not really sure I'd frame the PS3/360 generation as particularly hostile to JRPGs -- as I recall, the main issues facing the genre were threefold: there simply weren't very many JRPGs being released (especially relative to the golden age that was the prior two generations); of those few that were released, very few were really all that good; and, likewise, of that first few, many were stuck on the Xbox 360, a platform largely catering toward more casual players who were mostly just interested in first-person shooters.

For every genuinely great game like Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia, there were a half-dozen (or more) mediocrities like Resonance of Fate, Infinite Undiscovery, Magna Carta 2, White Knight Chronicles, etc., etc.

And it's not like JRPGs were the only genre affected -- 3D platformers and flight combat games likewise were greatly diminished, arguably to an even greater extent, for similar reasons.

It was primarily JRPG’s that got the most pushback, with games media’s biggest mouthpiece being X-Play, which we’ve already litigated the mask off racism of.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

It was primarily JRPG’s that got the most pushback, with games media’s biggest mouthpiece being X-Play, which we’ve already litigated the mask off racism of.

Yep. And the lack of Japanese RPGs was only on home consoles--they were otherwise thriving on handheld like the DS or PSP. Nostalgia, Phantasy Star Portable/Zero, the Rune Factory games, Avalon Code, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light... handheld RPG fans ate well in those days while everyone else was convinced the sky was falling.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate was one of the best JRPGs of the generation I have no idea what you're talking about. It had unique combat and fun characters and I'd hardly call it mediocre.

Sadly I don't think the anti-Japanese stigma has really gone anywhere given some of the complaints I usually see online. Only now rather than it just being Adam Sessler making outright racist jokes it's reviewers and people dressing up their anti-Japanese takes in progressive language and concern trolling.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Yep. And the lack of Japanese RPGs was only on home consoles--they were otherwise thriving on handheld like the DS or PSP. Nostalgia, Phantasy Star Portable/Zero, the Rune Factory games, Avalon Code, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light... handheld RPG fans ate well in those days while everyone else was convinced the sky was falling.

It's also completely ahistorical and disingenuous to say "The 7th gen wasn't dismissive of Japan!" when JUST LAST YEAR we had a gigantic spotlight shone on the Western press' years long smear campaign against Japan when Yoshida said he felt like "JRPG" was an othering term (and it is) which caused half the gaming press to turn into blubbering pissbabies. The 7th Gen was a Japanophobic era and it's best to just own that, talk about why it was so Japanophobic, and why so many people want to pretend like it never happened.

Anyway, it is interesting to see Fantasian hooking up with S-E. And I find it very telling that Yoshida is the one who got the deal rolling as opposed to other people in Square. Pity Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are stuck in the Microsoft vault.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
psh_fun wrote:
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate was one of the best JRPGs of the generation I have no idea what you're talking about. It had unique combat and fun characters and I'd hardly call it mediocre.

As someone who bought Resonance of Fate for the PS3 and never finished I’d hesitate to call it one of the best RPG’s either precisely because of it’s niche combat system and it’s cliche characters.

psh_fun wrote:
Sadly I don't think the anti-Japanese stigma has really gone anywhere given some of the complaints I usually see online. Only now rather than it just being Adam Sessler making outright racist jokes it's reviewers and people dressing up their anti-Japanese takes in progressive language and concern trolling.

It’s hard to take this seriously when you have Assassin’s Creed Shadows being stomped all over by some bad faith actors for having a black samurai with some people accusing the game of blackwashing and being historically inaccurate.

Yet no one said anything when both Nioh games published and developed by a Japanese Publisher and Developer had the same character as a Samurai and was rife with historical inaccuracies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1