• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon streaming review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

It also just works, which sounds like faint praise, but when I think about the terrible days of Funimation streaming, it's still worth mentioning.

No, it's still terrible. Oh wait, the post is from 2017? If I find it terrible both Then and Now, how bad was it back When? How I want, when I want, how I watch streaming, in order from best... bells, whistles and quantity... to worst... Buffering? I know not that word...

Hulu Desktop. I'm not sure what it exactly was... it came bundled on one of my older computers... but from queuing to notifications to playing new content to the player itself, nothing comes close even to this day. I would just start it up and it'd just play, either continuing the series I was just watching or the latest episode of a series I added. Entire episodes would buff in one go and that's with ad breaks. They stopped upgrading the service five years ago, long before they went private and we're still not back up to its quality and ease of use. Learn from this, people or at the very least find out it existed.

Netflix. I've been a member of Netflix longer then they've been streaming but they were always good at it. It's lower because its player doesn't have as many controls I'd like and the content has always been questionable. Always a good player for binging though weak at notifying me of new series I'd want to watch.... unless they own it, of course.

Hulu. Their base website's queue system never worked right as somehow you'd go from the third episode of one series to the sixth of another. It works ok playing a series by itself but not for shows that would update weekly though HD solved that problem. I was a Hulu user from its first week to the day they went dark.

Anime Network, good player, awful queue system-none actually. It always minimized when going on the next episode, the first episode was free so it never moved automatically from the first episode, it just stopped. It did buff nicely though and it had the ten second rewind button.

CR, never tried the queue system, I just didn't like the player. Good if you want to just play something, bad if you actively try to watch it. Testing... testing, oh you're good for HD? Well ok then.

FunimationNow/HIDIVE "beta" Hey, remember when you could actually find shows on sites without knowing the exact title? Well, you'd never would if you only know these guys. Both have player problems... "beta" HIdive does not transition from episode to episode smoothly or at all sometimes, FN takes awhile to acknowledge HD playback, neither buffers the way I'd like... both have queue problems... HIDive: "Remember that series you were just Now Watching? Well, we sure don't!". With FunimationNow, I have to add shows from their site to watch on my app as searching doesn't work well on the app while playing on their site is still mediocre.... both have notification problems... HIdive is good with sub only stuff but there are no notifications of which episodes have dubs or when new dub episodes are added. Funimation? They'd rather advertise their shounen stuff rather than tell me what's new or coming up so I have to look for it... and I ended up buying Hyouka rather than watching it because it was easier. Yes, a third party DVD seller was better at notifying me about a new series streaming and not the company that owns the license. Figure that one out.

HIDive could get better, I can't say the same about FunimationNow.

Funimation then: The horror, the horror. Zero buffering. You move the slider, you reload the episode. On the plus side, it knew the alphabet so you didn't have to search the entire catalogue for shows of the letter "s". Also, doesn't make me want to stab me eyes out like FunimationNow's app.

So where would Amazon's Anime Strike be for me? I can't support Amazon Prime... yes, I know how impulse buying works, I don't need a hundred dollar a year enabler to teach me... so I'll never test it out myself though it sounds "below average".
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I got AS yesterday and watched 4 episodes as well. I watched both eps of Made in Abyss on my laptop and both eps of Princess Principle on the Amazon video app on my PS3. I also watch the first ep of Altair today on the PS3.

-Yesterday, both first eps had pixels, but that lasted 3 seconds and I didn't have any problems after. When I watched it today, there weren't any pixels at all.

-Both days, the eps loaded right away and I didn't have any buffering issues whatsoever over the course of watching. This includes after rewinding and fast forwarding.

-The subtitles were off when I started watching MiA so I had to turn them on, but they stayed on after that. However, when I watched PP a few hours later, I had to turn them on again. When I watched Altair today, the subtitles stayed on. I guess it took some time for my presets to stick?

-As for the player itself... Not bad, though I don't like how on the PS3 you have to hit a button to bring up the controls. That's only if you use a controller though. I used my PS3 remote today and was able to bypass that.

I'm enjoying my AS experience so far. I haven't really looked into the free manga volume per month thing yet, but plan on doing that today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2