• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are Negima!? and Hellsing Ultimate opening the gate?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, it's pretty much unprecedented to remake an anime that was already based on a manga, yet now we have these two examples. Perhaps some otaku here will correct me and point out other places where this has been done, but as far as I know this is a new thing.

It's especially interesting in Hellsing's case, because as far as I know, the original was well-received; it was just that they thought people would want to see a truer manga adaptation. Again, I don't know the details of this, as I am not a Hellsing fan, but this got me thinking.

Does this mean that studios may consider re-doing other manga-to-anime projects? Might they do a "Trigun Ultimate", where the story doesn't cut off at ep. 26, but rather actually follows the ongoing manga? As much as I enjoyed the anime, I would love to see this. What are you guys' opinions on such a possibility?
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'd assume it all depends on the said series's/manga's success in Japan (and the US to some extent). Hellsing has been popular enough in both Japan and the US for a remake. Hellsing Ultimate also has an American company involved with the production so that the idea of a new Hellsing series even more possible. I know you mentioned only manga adaptations but I think Kanon could also apply in this situation (I have no idea how popular it is in Japan though).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a common practice in anime that dates back to the black and white Tezuka and 8 Man era. Most of Matsumoto's projects have been reimagined over the years. Giant Robo is about to have it's third version since it's manga. I believe the Lupin series that was aired on Adult Swim was the second series that was sillier than the original series which was more like the original manga. I've never seen the newer Babel II Tekkaman or Genma Taisen so I can't compare them Patlabor has had a few interpretations. The Orange Road OVAs were a bit more like the manga compared to the tv series.

Other recent titles are Ah Megamisama or the Appleseed film. I prefer the original Area 88 which reminded me more of the manga compared to the more recent tv series.

There are many manga that also have live action versions like Initial D, City Hunter, and Boogiepop.

The list goes on, but I will stop here since there are so many manga that have been done multiple times as anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Based on a game rather than a manga, but Kanon has just been re-made.
I wouldn't call Negima!? a remake as such, since it's somewhere between an adaptation and something more like Futakoi Alternative.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Negima? would qualify as a spin-off series.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:45 am Reply with quote
I prefer the Trigun anime to the Trigun manga, which I think is rather weak (mainly because I find the art quite poor...I usually have absolutely no idea what's going on, even after several readings of the same chapter. I didn't even realize thatspoiler[a major character died] until someone posted it in a thread discussing a recent chapter).

What I'd like to see is a series of Berserk OVAs that faithfully adapt the series. It would take forever, but God it would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1