• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Shonen Jump bimonthly now?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The last issue said June/July on the cover.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Someone made a post about this on the animeondvd forums a while ago, but I can't find it now. From what they said, it seems like it's now 10 (or maybe 11) issues a year. And the subscription price was lowered accordingly.

This might make the series that are in the magazine come out even slower, which is just annoying. I think pretty soon they should just do away with the magazine altogether and go the online route. That way they can do simulcasts(is that the right word for manga?) for the big three.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
It seems SJ is now 10 issues per year. I am guessing June/July and Dec/Jan will be the dual issues. I did not even notice something was odd till 4 weeks after this current issue came out and the new issue was not at Walmart or my local grocery store. I nearly flipped, until I reread my SJ and saw it listing June/July 2011. I am hoping the new issue arrives next TUES at the 7 week mark.

I am on the fence at returning to my SJ subscription. I am purchasing Nura already.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, must be the budget, they should have made the double issues bigger aren't they?
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the magazine still had a high rate of subscription though; does this have something to do with the cost of printing?
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I was under the impression that the magazine still had a high rate of subscription though; does this have something to do with the cost of printing?

I assume it was just production issues or something along those lines- this also lets issues sit on newstands an extra week or so. The magazine's still pretty thick, so content should continue jsut fine

Also, they've already added an online component to the magazine- you can read new Yura chapters online and get extra previews if you're an SJump subscriber.

I doubt we'll simultaenous releases w/Japan though- it's an insane amount of work, and they had to put Rin-ne's on hiatus due to numerous issues apparently. I imagine it's more likely we'd just see an earlier digital release when materials are ready like they tested with a few Bakuman and Toriko's Ipad volumes
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I've been very curious as to what caused those issues with Rin-ne, though I assume that translating and working with content that quickly has to be very difficult. On the Viz Media blog, many people were responding and claiming that it indicated that the writing is on the wall for Viz, but to me that's quite absurd.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I've been very curious as to what caused those issues with Rin-ne, though I assume that translating and working with content that quickly has to be very difficult. On the Viz Media blog, many people were responding and claiming that it indicated that the writing is on the wall for Viz, but to me that's quite absurd.

I read those comments to, and they were just nonsensical.
Every week, the translator (or editor, maybe) of Rinne has been posting about the delay, and it mostly seems the problem is all on Shogakukan's end. After the earthquake, things were complicated and Shonen Sunday had delays and such. Since then, Viz has been waiting for the go ahead to continue work on the series, but Shogakukan still hasn't said yes, even though things at Shonen Sunday seem to have gone back to normal long ago. Also, the Japanese Sunday has been putting the chapters online since the quake.

Anyway, I hope Viz addresses the Jump thing, as well as some of the series cancellations at AX or SDCC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1