• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kanon 2006!

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This anime is the kind of story that I was hoping to experience when I first got into anime. This is such a beautiful, moving story that I couldn't get enough of it. It is pure magic and fantasy. Just the right pitch of funny, dramatic, sad, tragic, and triumphant. I absolutely loved everything about the series. I especially loved that it completely kept me guessing wrong. It got to where I didn't know what would happen next. That's the mark of a great story, when you are literally being surprised with every scene, reveal, plot twist, and conclusion to each girls story.

I'm a 37 year old man and I am not ashamed to admit that this anime made me cry several times. It was the kind of cry that you feel good about, because you are so immersed in the story that you start to relate to and feel the characters pain.

I find it kind of funny that this anime is based on a visual novel dating sim that actually included nudity and such. I've never played any of the different releases of the series personally, but I feel I got the best part by watching this anime series. The story seemed way to good for something like that, but I will admit that I was pleased that they decided that the anime didn't need any of that. This anime literally had no fan service to speak of, outside of one scene with Nayuki in the first episode and the funny scene where Yuichi walks in on Makoto in the bath.

I hope to find more anime's like this one in the future. Anime smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tommy RKO wrote:
I'm a 37 year old man and I am not ashamed to admit that this anime made me cry several times. It was the kind of cry that you feel good about, because you are so immersed in the story that you start to relate to and feel the characters pain.

Though years have passed since I saw the relevant parts of this series, I can only report a similar experience. It is likely that some will criticise you for reacting in such a way to such a work, though you may find the pleasure of catharsis — as unusual a notion as that may seem — to compensate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting how I can hate a character in one scene, love
them in the next, hate them again, so on and etcetera.

The thing is Ayu is annoying. She whines and surprises
Yuuichi all the time, and her fear of ghosts takes up way too
much screentime. In addition, she seems to bring out the worse
in Yuuichi, what with his teasing and all.

Yet why is it that her story is so moving? One thing is that her
child-self is, ironically, more mature and interesting, plus she
has a few moving scenes. These, combined with the care given
to the story ofspoiler[her tragic fall from the tree]
manage to make the viewer care for her. It's obvious to me
why she was spoiler[ the girl chosen by Yuuichi as he always
cared for her.]

Plus she is, in a very small way, the Haruhi to Yuuichi's Kyon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17