• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne COOL or NOT?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace1988_3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I want to know what you people think about Escaflowne, I just bought the box set and I loved it and I want to share the magnifisents of it all to you people out there in the anime world.
Im sorry I forgot to add my thoughts to it so hear they are<, I thought thay Escaflwne was one of the best anime I have ever seen so fare, The story was grate and the charecters blended so neetly, you relly get sucked in to it and it wont let you go until it overe and then you want to watch it all over again.

(SORRY I S#CK AT SPELLING)

Last edited by ace1988_3 on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne is most definitely cool. It's one of the few mecha anime I can think of that's also got some shoujo goin’ on in there (done differently than all other shoujo Mecha stuff.)

Anyway, it's beautifully done and transcends genres blowing up stereo types all over the place. It's got a great story line, the characters are well made and likable, plus it's consistent in execution. Not oo slow, not too fast, and has the right amount of mecha action and angst.
Definitely well worth it. Even if it does sometimes seem like it's 'Allan's dating Service'.

Anyway, I don't now too many people that didn't like it. Escaflowne really draws in all types.

The movie on the other hand, I could miss and still live a full, happy life. >_>;;;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Webki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ace1988_3 : Can you tell me where you got the box set from? Is it Anime Legends? If not, please link me to the site where you purchased this.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ShikamaChU wrote:
Definitely well worth it. Even if it does sometimes seem like it's 'Allan's dating Service'.

Laughing Funny because it's so true! Laughing

Escaflowne is very good. Not one of my top anime series but it's well-written with an interesting plot and great characters. Some of the twists in this series are so unexpected that you just stare at the screen and go "I don't believe it!" Especially one which I will not even write in spoiler form because it's too cool a twist to spoil.

The battle scenes felt real with their gritty nature and whole concept of spoiler[fate alteration and luck enhancement ]as technological rather than magical concepts was fascinating.

And I adored Merle. She is my favorite character from the series. She's so caring and the scene near the end when spoiler[she tells Van to go to Hitomi because he loves her, it showed just how much she cared about him. She wanted him to be happy even at her own expense.] Also, her bravery really made her stand out. Merle had no shown combat skill and yet she spoiler[jumped in front of the luck enhanced twins to protect Van.]

Overall, it was a solid series that I think would have been even better if it had been longer. In my opinion, it should have been an epic 52 episode series.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this one very recently, and I really enjoyed it. Everything in the show was well executed: the pacing, the twists, the character development, the animation, the music, everything. It's just a great series overall. And while at first glance it seemed very cliched, as the story went on Escaflowne proved again and again that it was much more than that... And c'mon, how could you not love a series whose main villain is spoiler[ Isaac Newton]?
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Escaflowne, it's a good show, but it's from a girl's perspective and is well, kinda girly to an extent.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
The thing about Escaflowne, it's a good show, but it's from a girl's perspective and is well, kinda girly to an extent.

Personally, that was part of what appealed to me. Series from a female perspective, even ones clearly aimed at guys, usually have more emotional/relationship elements than those which focus on males. Shoujo series are great for intense emotions.

Although I have to say, Escaflowne is pretty brutal for a shoujo series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The manga Angel Sanctuary was pretty brutal for a shojo series. Not all shojo is girly stuff, as I have discovered.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The manga Angel Sanctuary was pretty brutal for a shojo series. Not all shojo is girly stuff, as I have discovered.

I didn't say all of it was girly, but most shoujo titles tend to be less violent and war-like. The carnage is typically more reserved for relationships. I was thinking about Fruits Basket when I wrote the post too so that might have colored my opinion a tad.

I've heard of Angel Sanctuary before but don't know much about it. Art style isn't my taste, but the story sounds not bad. If you wouldn't mind, please PM me with some of your thoughts on it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So far it's looking like Fruits Basket would be the daihyo for shojo manga here in the US, since it's pretty popular. I've wanted to check out a couple other titles here and there. Life I can tell you is a manga that is pretty psychological, and definetly a mature themed shojo title. Very popular among Japanese high school students is what I'm hearing right now.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Personally, that was part of what appealed to me. Series from a female perspective, even ones clearly aimed at guys, usually have more emotional/relationship elements than those which focus on males. Shoujo series are great for intense emotions.

To an extent I'd agree, I really liked Fruits Basket but I couldn't get into Escaflowne like I could with other series that are in my favorites. Most the emotion in Escaflowne to me just seemed like infatuation, and it annoyed me.

The fight scenes were really good though, I was suprised at how well done they were.
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Escaflowne the first anime made specifically to cater to boys and girls? I seem to remember that from a lecture at school...could be wrong. I think that in itself is enough to make Escaflowne cool in my book. Smile
ace1988_3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Yes it is Anime Legends, and I got it from Best Buy.
It comes withe some specel featers (not a hole lot but thats ok)
It was under $40, and well worth it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
I actually agree with Hisdon. I liked Escaflowne but sometimes it was just a bit to girly. The obsession and love triangles and crushes and so on, romance is one thing but this was more like the romance you hear about in rumots in Junior High but never actually see, or on an episode of the latest hit teen drama.

The rest of the series more than made up for that though and the romance did have some good points, but at times it was just annoying. The action was nice though, the setting and art was good and the overall story had a lot of depth to it so it was still a "cool" series overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
I couldn't get into Escaflowne like I could with other series that are in my favorites. Most the emotion in Escaflowne to me just seemed like infatuation, and it annoyed me.

Ah, yes. But that's part of the whole point. A big theme of the series is learning the difference between crushes and real love.

Incidentally, I think it's interesting that so many people are labeling Escaflowne shoujo. Like bluepita, I was under the impression that it was one of the first true crossover series - there's certainly something in it for everyone. In fact, I believe there are even two versions of the manga - one shoujo and the other shounen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2