• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shigofumi ~Stories of the Last Letter~.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Shigofumi ~Stories of the Last Letter~

Well, I was bored all week waiting for Ghost Hound (which doesn't seem to be coming out any faster), so I decided to check out the third most interesting title on my winter line-up checklist: Shigofumi.

Now I'm not very good at giving introductions or episodes summaries, but I'll say that episode one wasn't bad. It wasn't outstanding, but definitely not bad. At least I'll definitely watch it the whole way through seeing as it's only 12 episodes.

Based off a novel, Shigofumi is basically about a girl named Fumika and her talking staff Kanaka, and they both deliver letters called "Shigofumi" -- the last words of someone who has died to their friends or family. It reminds me a bit of a mix between Hell Girl and Boogiepop Phantom; Fumika's design certainly resembles Boogiepop (which I like). Well, sorta.

I thought the episode introduction was good, especially Fumika's appearance. The rest of the episode was okay and was kinda predictable, but that's not going to stop me from looking forward to better episodes. Actually, I found the end of it to be a little strange, that spoiler[Asuna killed Shouta, as well as her own father. What is her deal, I wonder?] I guess episode two will explain, since one ended with a cliffhanger.

The theme songs aren't stellar either, but I was surprised to see ALI PROJECT back, finally. As for the background music, I didn't really pay much attention to it, but I do remember liking it.

Liked the art, too.

Whatever. Any other thoughts? I hope I didn't forget to say something that I might have wanted to include.

(Saved ya from having to edit the title, Tony!) Anime catgrin
[EDIT: Thanks! -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm... Well, it seems like an interesting enough idea anyways, but we'll see. I think I'm going to go ahead and try this one out, since I need more good anime to watch, what with all these hiatuses for my favorite series and all. If it's only 12 episodes then it shouldn't be too bad an investment (not that I'm investing anything in this or anything Wink ).
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first episode seemed largely an introduction, aside from the... event... at the end, which certainly took me by surprise. The episode 2 preview also seemed to indicate continuity, so it doesn't appear to be a series consisting of stand-alone episodes - the direction I would've expected things to take, given the set-up. Worth checking out a couple more episodes, at any rate.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so just got done watching the episode, I actually have to say, based off of this first episode, I actually really like it, which is actually kind of surprising since I wasn't expecting to very much. Maybe not the best thing I've ever seen, but I think it at least holds well enough on it's own. Probably in the area of Excellent or Very Good. I don't know, I guess we'll just wait and see what the rest of it is like. But I'd say a fairly strong first episode at least.

In the whole predictability issue, for a while it almost seemed like it was indeed headed in the direction of predictability at first, but then we started getting into the whole issue of spoiler[the fact that Asuna was the one who indeed killed her own father,] then it started to get really interesting from there. Definitely wasn't expecting what happened at the end there, that's for sure! I mean, wow! Shocked ......... I think it'll provide for some very interesting events as the series progresses. Should be a good one based off of this first episode.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If you liked Higurashi no Naku Koro ni then there is a chance you'll like this, there is a definite similarity in feel (and the violence). Personally I didn't care for either, for the same reason I'm not a horror film fan, but those that are may like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
countchocula86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and was kinda predictable

Really? Lol, I guess up until that last bit hahah. Not sure if I will stick with this though
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
countchocula86 wrote:
Quote:
and was kinda predictable

Really? Lol, I guess up until that last bit hahah. Not sure if I will stick with this though

The only thing that wasn't predictable was spoiler[when it was revealed that Asuna was her father's murderer. But even after Shouta was scrunching the letter, I kinda figured something was up.] Other than that, it was kinda regular ol' stuff...

At least stick with it for episode two, and if it doesn't spark your interest then you can do what ya want. I plan on watching the whole thing because I still find the premise very interesting.

Who knows? It may actually surprise us. Smile
countchocula86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, Im assuming the story revolves around whats her name, the girl and her staff, and they are the only recurring charaters. And I tend to have problems with that kind of anime holding my interest. But of course, Ill at least watch to ep 3-4. Its not really as though Im watching that much else (especially with the strike)
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll give it a few more episodes, but I personally found the "magical girl with talking staff" totally out of sync with the otherwise dark mood of the story. I'm not necessarily saying that something grotesque like Death Note's Rem should be delivering the letters, but the genre-bending was just too incongruous for my tastes.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I guess I'll give it a few more episodes, but I personally found the "magical girl with talking staff" totally out of sync with the otherwise dark mood of the story.

I actually thought that was a little neat. We are given this strange duo, Kanaka (the staff) sort of playing the comic relief, yet the show gives off this dark mood which is what we think of first. I guess that's the unique part of this show. We don't really know what to think just yet, but it seems like the general consensus so far is so-so.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ALI Project did the first Code Geass ED so they haven't been gone that long, I'm also assuming they did a theme song for that Rozen Maiden OVA as well.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
The only thing that wasn't predictable was spoiler[when it was revealed that Asuna was her father's murderer. But even after Shouta was scrunching the letter, I kinda figured something was up.]

spoiler[For me I pretty much assumed she had something to do with it from after the police station part and everything else seemed to point towards that as the ep went along until the scrunching of the letter, I didn't expect her to kill Shouta though, not in this episode anyway.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, if anything I'd say it got more interesting moreso around spoiler[when he read the letter] rather than when spoiler[we actually found out about her being the killer.] I mean, I figured something was up, yeah, I just didn't know what, so it really made things interesting trying to figure it out. Because then right after that, we got that scene were spoiler[she left with the police, and that made me a little more suspicious, but I had know idea she was involved like she was!]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
spoiler[I didn't expect her to kill Shouta though, not in this episode anyway.]

Actually, you're right. I was expecting her to do quite the opposite. Episode two best get to explanin'.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
(Copied from AoD.)

Hm. Difficult.

Shigofumi isn't terribly surprising or original, but it's still well done for what it is.

And this is the first time I can ever remember a bishoujo design working for a character; Fumika's eyes put a bit more emphasis on her role and what she is.

What seems to be keeping me from becoming really engaged in this show is Kanaka, who seems to be less of a foil than something merely tagged on to favor an audience that I'm not a part of. (Or else she's some uninspired homage to Hermes from Kino's Journey. Either one doesn't work for me.)

But there is less of her in episode two, so I can't rightfully complain too much. And I appreciate that they aren't just packing in too much story in one episode, and apparently using as much time as needed to tell it.

I'm probably in.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
I am so glad I decided to watch this one too. It's surprisingly good, but it's probably cause I wasn't expecting a lot from it either, like BrothersElric.

I was gonna ignore it cause I thought it was gonna be like Shinigami no Ballad, which I hated. It definitely has similarities, but it's way better.

I like the music. I never really liked ALI project, but I like their OP for Shigofumi.

HellKorn wrote:
What seems to be keeping me from becoming really engaged in this show is Kanaka, who seems to be less of a foil than something merely tagged on to favor an audience that I'm not a part of. (Or else she's some uninspired homage to Hermes from Kino's Journey. Either one doesn't work for me.)

Really? I thought she was a cute character. She made me laugh a couple of times too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6