• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
for those of you who are wanting it to be serious rather than funny, if it follows the manga you are gonna get both worlds.

Good good, that's what I like to hear!
Anyhow, any word on how many episodes this is slated to run?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Good good, that's what I like to hear!
Anyhow, any word on how many episodes this is slated to run?

Twelve, I would assume.

After rewatching Episode 1, I've got a complaint for the series. Facial expressions! Part of the charm of the manga lies in the unique facial expressions in many of the characters (especially Misaki), and her expressions in the first episode of the anime are as dull as the characters in Last Exile.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what the heck NEET stands for..."Not in Employment, Education or Training" eh? Learn something new everyday...

For me, the start of the first episode had me wondering what the heck I had set myself up for. I hadn't done any homework at all on the series or its roots prior to watching it. I just sat there going "This is odd" until the bit with the "Pururin" pudding things. Then I just had to laugh out loud. That and the scene where he "figures out" that NHK stands for Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai. The mere thought of that sort of lunacy taking place in the NHK Hall in Tokyo seemed to hit the right spot for me.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. It'll be interesting to see how, if ever, Satou-kun straightens out the mess he's created in his head. The first episode touched on a trio of incidents which contributed to him turning himself into a shut-in. From my perspective I can both agree and disagree that they represent believable reasons for a real person to become a hikikomori. I suppose that can lead up to a discussion about what the character represents in the context of present day life in Japan. That isn't something I'm ready to tackle but the show managed to make him entertaining enough and sympathetic enough (after all, he did end up in the park after 9PM) that I'm willing to tune in just to see what'll happen in the long run.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this thread was all the way back in Page 3 already when I found it. Anyway, I just caught Episode 2, and I was quite surprised. Well, it's certainly deviating from the manga quite a bit, and there's some good and bad to this.

The series is definitely carrying more of a serious feel than the manga. spoiler[The late introduction of Yamazaki means that he and Misaki have not yet met, and some of the earlier craziness involving the two is omitted. Satou is definitely more believable and down-to-earth than he was in the manga as well. Many crazy facial expressions are omitted as well, and Yamazaki's "all girls are bitches" line is not there. The flashback extends longer than it did in the manga, and this is actually not a bad thing; Satou and Yamazaki get more character development than they did in the manga. Also, whereas it never mentioned anything on this subject in the manga, Yamazaki and Satou joined the literature club back in high school (dragged by Satou's senpai), and that gives more credibility to Satou's writing talent which will be revealed in the near future.]

The series definitely retains some of its humor and quirkiness, and incorporates the comedy into the series in a believable way. Much of the comedical relief in this episode spawns from Satou's crazy imaginiation, and again, while it really is pretty laughable to the viewer, these really are his genuine fears, and you can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy sometimes. The most hilarious scene in the episode, in my opinion, is around the 6:40 mark when spoiler[Satou unconsciously starts singing along with the JPop song coming from next door that he had been so fed up with. His bodily actions along with his off-tune voice made it priceless.] I feel that most of the seriousness lies in the storyline, while everything supporting the storyline (OP/ED, background music) is crazy and wacky. In the end, that makes for quite a nice blend.

Speaking of music, I'm growing really fond of the music in this series. The opening song is pretty good, with strong vocals by Nino and a nice synthetic featurette in the beginning. The background music in the series is really done well, and there's a large variety and constrast throughout; from a slow acoustic piano to a heavy rock song near the end.

Misaki is turning out to be very different in the anime than the manga. Many of her "sly" facial expressions are omitted, and the series paints her out to be more of an "innocent" character than the manga, where she was a "genki" girl who was sometimes sly and cunning. Seiyuu Makino Yui, who voices Misaki (and also plays Sakura in Tsubasa Chronicle), has a very innocent voice, and really makes Misaki seems like an innocent girl. While I would have preferred that they picked a slightly more "daring" voice for Misaki, this route is fine as well, especially since it seems that they're picking the "serious" path as for the series as a whole.

Overall, Gonzo is doing a pretty good job so far. Due to some extra comedical scenes and character development that weren't in the manga, the series is moving quite slowly, and I surmise that it probably will get through half of volume 3. Visuals are pretty much fine, although definitely not Gonzo's best work in terms of animation. Let's wait and see how Episode 3 turns out.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[But wasn't there a chapter in the manga where Satou goes to a writing class? And that guys comment about not liking girls was there for a reason. So girl he liked pretty much screwed him over when he was a kid to go to a festival with some other guy.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
i finally got around to starting this show. i don't know whether to say it's funny or sad. that guy needs help.
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Not sure what to think of it but it's entertaining at least. The girl(I can never remember her name) is pretty cute, and the rest of designs are good as well in my opinion. Animation isn't great all the time but it's not necessarily bad either. It's been keeping my interest though and in the end that's what really matters to me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the first episode of this show, it gave me a similar feeling that Suzumiya Haruhi did. However, comparatively speaking, I feel that it lacks a little something.

Anyone know what the manga the girl was reading during the first episode was? Im pretty sure it was Honey and Clover, but Im not 100% sure.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was kinda disapointing. I can't really tell what it lacked, but it certenly wasn't as entertaining as the first two episodes.

Quote:
So this the the world of galge...

lol, that was very disturbing, but made me laugh out loud.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I would say it is lacking some of the craziness in the manga. Misaki in particular seems rather off character so far and satou's lolicon antics were way funnier in the manga. I do however like that its sticking very close to the source material as far as story and the animation style is pleasant. Hopefully it will pick up some more energy as it progresses.
GUTB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm done with the show I think. I realized that when ep.3 was released yesterday...and I just didn't care.

Sub-par, boring-as-sin anime best left forgotten. Genshiken this isn't (not that Genshinken was this shining achievment of the art, but it was fairly entertaining nontheless)
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
Episode 3 was kinda disapointing. I can't really tell what it lacked, but it certenly wasn't as entertaining as the first two episodes.

I haven't seen episode 3 yet, but if it's lacking something, which made it not as good, I'll assume that it lacked pururun, purururururun, puru-nyaa-POWER.
Twisted Evil
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, I just finished episode 4. This is a bizarre show, and not even CLOSE to what I had imagined.

It's WAY more perverted than I could have imagined, and what with the spoiler[galge games and the incredibly impulsive and obsessive otaku culture, I can honestly say that I am ashamed that I'm part of the same culture group as them. Anime cry ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
I've seen through ep 4 and I find this a suitable follow-on to Haruhi.

I'm really enjoying getting a different view of otakus and a version of the ones mentioned in Otaku no Video.

spoiler[I can't wait to see what effect Satou-kun's encounter with his Senpai will entail. Perhaps there is more to his background that causes his shut-in existence than previously shown. The next ep preview doesn't seem top indicate much about this encounter, though.

The whole having the guy you got beat-up for as your next door neighbor (an annoying one at that) is a cut-up, as well as the whole diving into ero-game creation.]

I feel those thaqt are giving up on this series before ep 3 are missing out. I try to give a prospective show at least three eps to feel it out. This one had me hooked after the first two!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yall are seriously missing out if you stop it so early, you havn't even got the point where you find out the dirty lil secrets that make things intresting. spoiler[Like, for example, Misaki is a highschool drop out and she's truely helping Satou because she feels she can only get along with others who are "as low as her", if I renember correctly from the manga, it's been a while since I read that part being it comes out monthly]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10