• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Although I don't know which direction the novel takes, from what I got on the first episode this looks to be REALLY REALLY good. What with the spoiler[social phobias, talking appliances, beer bottle smashing, conspiracies, and masterbating nuns(god, this one and the beer bottle made me stop the eps I was laughing so hard)] I can't WAIT for the second episode.

The other thing that I thought was interesting is that they named what more or less describes me right now, a NEET (not through some sort of phobia, but a combination of circumstance and extreme laziness). It never really occured to me that having finished up with that last quarter and not being enrolled or looking for a job just what kind of situation I'm in, well... I knew... but I guess I just saw a worst case scenario. Rolling Eyes Guess I'll have to go get another job or two tomorrow then... damn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
TAKAVAR wrote:
1 question:

is the character designer for NHK, same as the one for Serial Experiments Lain ? they kinda look the same style.

No, it ain't Abe.

Ahem. Not exactly for the anime, but he was indeed involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and it is rather interesting. Here's hoping Gonzo doesn't screw it up. For some reason, the opening (not so much for the actual show) made me think of the Speed Grapher character designs.

I had forgotten that the manga had been licensed, but I'll be ordering it the next time I get something from TRSI.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:

RDespair wrote:
I just watched the first episode. It seems promising. I'm curious to see if it goes for a more realistic approach with the occasional psychotic delusions or if it's going to go all out crazy.

I'd really rather it didn't go all-out crazy.

Same here. I'm all for crazy series (I like Excel Saga & Cromartie High), but I really enjoyed the mixture between reality & insanity that was in the first episode and hope that they keep that balance for the whole series.

I think it's rather neat that Abe did the character designs for the original source material. Guess I'm going to have to go recommend this series to my friend who is a big Abe fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Although I don't know which direction the novel takes, from what I got on the first episode this looks to be REALLY REALLY good. What with the spoiler[social phobias, talking appliances, beer bottle smashing, conspiracies, and masterbating nuns(god, this one and the beer bottle made me stop the eps I was laughing so hard)] I can't WAIT for the second episode.

Oh, I know! Also, the somewhat repetitious use of the conspiracy themes and the certain anime theme-song playing next door create a lighthearted and very amusing sense of delirium. This will definitely be a series to follow. I'm just praying that this series doesn't nose-dive and waste a potentially brilliant concept.

dormcat wrote:
Anthony P wrote:
TAKAVAR wrote:
1 question:

is the character designer for NHK, same as the one for Serial Experiments Lain ? they kinda look the same style.

No, it ain't Abe.

Ahem. Not exactly for the anime, but he was indeed involved.

Oop, silly me! But I am still slightly confused; the entry linked to above mentions an original novel. So, both the manga and the anime are both based off the novel? I couldn't find any information regarding a novel, only information regarding the manga and the anime.
RDespair wrote:
I'm all for crazy series (I like Excel Saga & Cromartie High), but I really enjoyed the mixture between reality & insanity that was in the first episode and hope that they keep that balance for the whole series.

Yeah, there's some great go-for-broke wacky series out there, but I think it's been overdone (and I haven't even seen all that much anime, comparitively). Let's cross our fingers, friend. I've been craving a witty, creative, yet not over-the-top comedy for quite some time now.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Oop, silly me! But I am still slightly confused; the entry linked to above mentions an original novel. So, both the manga and the anime are both based off the novel? I couldn't find any information regarding a novel, only information regarding the manga and the anime.

The anime is an adaptation of the manga, not directly from the novel. Character designs and storylines follow the manga as well.

You could find the novel on Amazon Japan:

As you can see, the cover art is distinctively ABe's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's definitely ABe's work. I think the style used in the anime works pretty well though.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
I can't wait until they do that "ultimate moe" thing from the manga (crippled, blind, retarded robot neko-maid childhood friend.) Hope Gonzo animates it a bit rather than just make it be the characters looking at the sketch.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
for those of you who are wanting it to be serious rather than funny, if it follows the manga you are gonna get both worlds. This guy is a riot in the manga; he'll go from over the top silly to dead serious in a heart beat. I can't wait for the FFXI episode (or the one where he goes pedo, if they havn't done it yet >>: havn't seen any of it yet myself.)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
I hope they at least get to the spoiler[Fumoffu reference]. Come to think of it, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu had one too. A more influencial anime than I thought, it seems...

Misaki spoiler[has a personality quite like any other that I've seen in anime. She's almost like Mamimi from FLCL (A greatly underappreciated character). If Gonzo can manage to get her personality done right, then I'll probably be giving this series at least an "Excellent".]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I hope they at least get to the spoiler[Fumoffu reference]. Come to think of it, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu had one too. A more influencial anime than I thought, it seems...

Might not be as easy. Remember that SHnY was animated by the same animation studio of the title hidden in your spoiler tag, so they can use it as in-jokes whenever they wish to. Not for the animators of NHK.
shh227

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
I just saw NHK right now and Im ready for the polls to come out so I can give this a masterpiece too. Abe is the guy who did some art work with the SE Lain and now is the artist for NHK now. This anime looks really nice and I will defently watch all episodes.
Thaimex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode today and I loved it. Cant wait for more.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Misaki spoiler[has a personality quite like any other that I've seen in anime. She's almost like Mamimi from FLCL (A greatly underappreciated character). If Gonzo can manage to get her personality done right, then I'll probably be giving this series at least an "Excellent".]

I haven't seen the first episode yet, but if the series sticks true to the manga, Misaki won't be anywhere near like Mamimi from FLCL. Mamimi was a good girl with some hidden serious emotional troubles, but she was also a cluz and a "cute but space cadet"-animegirl. Misaki on the other hand is more of the "normal" genki type of character.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
just watched the first episode.

so far it was awsome. the voice acting delivered well. also the animation was great. you can see that they are willing to put details (read money) into places that helps the character development like at the end of episode one, the way Misaki walks is animated well. very much how i imagined her in moving from reading the manga.

can't wait for more Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10