• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
yea the Sages pretty much run everything from behind the scenes. that's all i wil say at this point.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
yea the Sages pretty much run everything from behind the scenes. that's all i wil say at this point.

Yeah that's what I thought from what I've seen. I mean spoiler[from what I could tell, they let the dude with the long white hair out of prison.]
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it as well, though I do agree to an extent that is moving kind of slow so far. After the 3rd episode it took on a very different feel. However, what appears to be the main story is already being shown in the background: spoiler[That guy, Dewey (well, that's his name in the manga), was released from prison and definitely has some type of connection with Holland and the Gekkostate. Then there are also the Coralians who have appeared and are now becoming a focus for the characters. However, what the Coralians really are and what their objective is remains a mystery.] So things are beginning to pop up here and there. I'm glad that they didn't explain things as they appeared, the mystery will keep me interested.

As for the characters, I like most of them, and the rest of them I have not seen enough of to decide whether or not I like them. At first I started to dislike Talho, but episode 5 showed a different side to her that changed my mind. And Renton makes for a pretty humorous central character; he pretty much clashes with Eureka's personality (or lack there of), which makes the whole romance thing between them (though I still feel that Eureka is completely oblivious to this) fun to watch. I for one am going to stick around for the rest of this series.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
The long hair guy from the prison is VERY important later on in the show. However, at the moment you don't need to know who he is because he won't be included in the story till much later (at least another 10 eps i think) so just pretend you didn't see him Razz I also find it a little weird how they introduced him so early on. Maybe the E7 writers didn't expect to get a 2nd season... Thank God they did Laughing

I think they introduced him early to show his investigation of what he is to do (Ep 7 with the intel guy) and as I read in Newtype USA spoiler[his connection to Holland. Why? because they have shown them as both reading the same echi magazine! ]

Yeah, I'll keep watching the show on AS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
Kidder wrote:
The long hair guy from the prison is VERY important later on in the show. However, at the moment you don't need to know who he is because he won't be included in the story till much later (at least another 10 eps i think) so just pretend you didn't see him Razz I also find it a little weird how they introduced him so early on. Maybe the E7 writers didn't expect to get a 2nd season... Thank God they did Laughing

I think they introduced him early to show his investigation of what he is to do (Ep 7 with the intel guy) and as I read in Newtype USA spoiler[his connection to Holland. Why? because they have shown them as both reading the same echi magazine! ]

it's not a magazine, it's The Golden Bough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough
Chobits06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote
It does stink that all the shows are on saturdays.. I keep looking forward to saturdays..And I think Eureka 7 is a really great show...I like Ren Ten!! Anime smallmouth
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
-gecko- wrote:
Kidder wrote:

it's not a magazine, it's The Golden Bough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough

Thanks for that; it gave me some good insight into these two characters.

Having seen Ep 8 I feel that the series may be beginning to pick up, at least this episode had my full attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blackness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
In ep. 7 I didn't get what was wrong with Holland. spoiler[He just came out punching Renten. And then Moon Doggy didn't do much of anything about it either. I just don't get it. All Renten and Moon Doggy wanted to do is ride the waves.]
And it's true that their isn't as much mecha in the series as their should be, but I still want to go on watching it because it is good.

Then the background history of the Gekko State and crew is quite confusing aswell.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Eureka 7 is a show worth watching 'till the end. I've seen almost every episode shown on Adult Swim so far, and I have no intention of stopping, especially after the last episode that aired, which I thought did well in developing some of the characters and plot.

Seems like it'll be a worthwhile trip.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
blackness wrote:
In ep. 7 I didn't get what was wrong with Holland. spoiler[He just came out punching Renten. And then Moon Doggy didn't do much of anything about it either. I just don't get it. All Renten and Moon Doggy wanted to do is ride the waves.]

I won't give away too much, but let's just say for now that spoiler[Renton gives Holland unwanted nostalgia]. Holland won't make much sense as a character until midway through when the series reveals that he is more than just an angry captain.

blackness wrote:
Then the background history of the Gekko State and crew is quite confusing aswell.

It will make sense in due time. It somehow is revealed in a pretty random way and in a pretty random place, but it makes sense and fills in a lot of storyline gaps.

cheezisgoooood wrote:
I think Eureka 7 is a show worth watching 'till the end.

I agree. It starts off really slow, but it's worth the wait in the end.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
So far it seems pretty overrated. I've been watching it on CN and nine episodes in, they've barely revealed any plot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So far it seems pretty overrated. I've been watching it on CN and nine episodes in, they've barely revealed any plot.

"So far it seems pretty overrated"

That was a dumb statement >_>.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

"So far it seems pretty overrated"

That was a dumb statement >_>.

How so? I supported my statement. There's little if any plot. They drop references to things that they never gave any background for, as if you're supposed to already know. It's becoming jargon-heavy, which is what prevented GitS: SAC from being as good as Fullmetal Alchemist. It's cast of characters is too large for a show that only really has three or four active characters, and they're all pretty dull (besides Holland).

Many people have puffed this show up as being a great series. I wouldn't disagree that it's decent, but it's certainly not standout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

well after 10, you'll be seeing nothing but plot for awhile.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There's little if any plot. They drop references to things that they never gave any background for, as if you're supposed to already know. It's becoming jargon-heavy, which is what prevented GitS: SAC from being as good as Fullmetal Alchemist. It's cast of characters is too large for a show that only really has three or four active characters, and they're all pretty dull (besides Holland).

Eureka 7 just takes a long time to get its engines started. It's stuck in its filler stages for the first 10 or so episodes, with little bits and pieces thrown in. Expect the story to develop pretty rapidly from here on out, as the series transitions out of its filler stages and into the main plotline.

As for the references without supporting background information, much of this background information is revealed later in the series, and everything eventually comes together bit by bit. This is pretty much what's being done in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, which managed to jump to the #2 spot on ANN partly because of this reason.

As for the cast aside from Holland, some of them will undergo serious character development soon. Although, it's true that much of the cast still remains neglected throughout the series. I don't feel like the cast is too large though; I prefer a larger cast, so that the series feels more "lively" as a whole.

As for Jargon-heavy, it is, but not too much so. It feels overwhelming at first, but when you get used to them, they aren't such a bad thing. I've seen many series with much more Jargon than E7 (Twelve Kingdoms, for example) that still managed to be very successful and wonderful series.

I'd say watch a few more episodes, as this is pretty much the transition point, and the very point where many people drop this series because they are tired of the filler and believe it to be the core of the entire series. You may find yourself holding the same opinion even after the main plotline kicks in, but who knows? Give it a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20