• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
They helped Renton in his journey in the outside world. If they care for nothing outside of their location, why help someone from the outside?

Also, why should they blame the Coralians for the world being about to be destroyed? The Limit of Questions was the fault of ALL sentient life, not just the Coralians. The humans were just as much at fault as the Coralians. Maybe they blamed the humans. We do have a bad habit of taking over everything then crying victim when nature strikes back. As one example, we build roads in the middle of forests then act surprised when deer cross them regularly.

I would say the people have as much free will as people in Heaven do. Would you say that Heaven causes you to lose your free will too, simply because people there are no longer care about worldly matters? These people have advanced beyond the flesh and worldly matters. Like Yoda once said, "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Carrying about the good of the civilisation is not what 'is important to me' but what lays in best interest of everyone, including those poor 'people' in the library- that is if we still count them as humans, I would not be so sure anymore. So please don't make is look as if it was my personal cruisade. Those people have no free will, as a matter of fact, they already (or at least most of them) lost all that connected them to our world.

Prove me otherwise.

I don't really feel like elaborating, since I only get one liners from you with not many arguments that would suport your point of view...

:'( you missed my point entirely, just because you care about civilization and they don't doesn't necessarily mean they have no free will. It could just means their priorities are different than yours! That being said since it really isnt explained one way or the other all we have to fall back on is our impressions of those people.

Your impression is that they were captured and they have lost their free will and individuality

spoiler[My impression is that they have found enlightenment and feel like interfering with the old world is futile because no matter how hard you try you can't save everyone. They would prefer everyone to reach the same state as they have so they can all live peaceful. And rather than them all agreeing with the coral because they have no will, the way I understood it everyone in that realm was part of a sort of hive mind so any decision they made was from collaboration. So when Renton and Eureka convinced Renton's sister that the old world is worth saving they really convinced everyone in that realm and the coral]

But see thats just my take on it, and I cannot prove your view is any less valid. BUT YOU CANNOT PROVE YOURSELF EITHER. So you need to stop acting like you have the one and only truth
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

My impression is that they have found enlightenment and feel like interfering with the old world is futile because no matter how hard you try you can't save everyone.

Never did I say I thought they were captured. Diane explained they made it to the library out of their free will to study about the fascinating scub coral and its wisdom. fair enough. But have you seen a sparkle of life in any of them? It is not about my or whoever else's priorities- you try to make it look personal AGAIN. As a matter of fact, I agree that they found it futile to save the world, but that's because they lost all links with it and prefered to read their books, or maybe thanks to their enlightement, were not fussed at all with all life dieing. For me something, a characteristics, that potentially is about to destroy the life, is not really an evolution.

All you say is true- they found peace, they got enlightened, but this is exactly my point, the 'enlightmenet' made them loose their humanity. They no longer looked like being a part of it. Theys presence in the library I think resulted in losing the urge to act, feel, etc. The longer they spent there, the more alienated they were. And yes, there was something selfish in wanting the rest of humanity join them and become as emotionless and cold. Even if their decision was taken commonly through telepathy, it more seems not like thinking of expressing any sort of will. In the same way plants all do same things in the same time (lets say bloom), and I would not call it their free will to open up.
Quote:

I would say the people have as much free will as people in Heaven do. Would you say that Heaven causes you to lose your free will too, simply because people there are no longer care about worldly matters? These people have advanced beyond the flesh and worldly matters.

I dont think this is something you can compare to Heaven at all, since (techically) souls of the one who died and angels watch over us- sodepending on what you believe in, not carying about the world part is not something that is happening.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well it seem the people in the Coralians did care a little about the real world, like my aforementioned example of helping Renton out on his journey.

This is going in circles though. Maybe we should just all agree that we love the show, since we've been arguing in circles about it for pages. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
poilk92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
NO YOU COMPLETELY MISSED MY POINT!

dear lord this is difficult

I am not right you are not right these are opinions. I understand your impression you understand mine, now all thats left is trying to get you to understand that there is nothing to prove either one of us is more correct than the other so turning it into an argument instead of a hypothetical "what if" kind of conversation is pointless. I was hoping i could salvage a conversation out of this but its obvious now that I cannot so I'm done with this particular argument
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, I always believed that a conversation meant a discussion, even if people don't agree. And I though we were having a conversation (NOT an argument), I presented my opinion, you presented yours, I cant see why you get all worked up and so frustrated. I see your point, I dont agree, that's all there is to it really.

Besides, I think I pointed out enough things that I believe prove my point, you disagree, which is your right. Since according to you, none of us can more correct, your attempt to get me "to understand that there is nothing to prove either one of us is more correct" is quite contradictory in itself.
simmeh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
So, I was drawn to this topic. "What do you think about Eureka 7?" is asked, and I've been wanting to post my opinions about this series somewhere ever since I finished it those many months ago. Here goes:

As many people have identified, this series has its problem, chiefly being that there is a desperate lack of any sort of exposition to explain what's going on, especially in the first 10 or so episodes. This is compounded by the fact that the series has some fairly extensive internal jargon, none of which is actually explained in the early goings.

Now, I know some series can be roundly criticized for having too much exposition. I personally find it really is annoying to be told, "he just blocked my Wavy Swordy Slash Attack of Doom (tm), which no one has ever done!" when such actions are generally self-evident. However, Eureka 7 was nearly kneecapped right out of the gate by the exact opposite of this.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that some of the characters exhibit certain traits that just make them unlikable, chiefly among them Renton and Holland, the two male leads. Since these aspects of the characters have already been discussed at length in this topic, I won't go into them. Suffice it to say that I found both of them offputting at times.

And yet, despite the annoying characters and the whole sense of 'I have no idea what's going on', there is something truly special about Eureka 7 that somehow elevates it beyond its faults up into a truly enjoyable show. That something, in my opinion, is it's dealings with raw emotions, most obvious of which is love.

For me, one of the defining moments of the show was when spoiler[Eureka is offered a blank spread in the notebook and asked to write down her feelings for Renton. She then proceeds to draw a huge heart over the entire spread.] it's these sort of moments that made me realize that sometimes a show doesn't need infinitely likable and empathetic characters to make you feel a strong emotional pull.

Even the minor characters got in on this. I remember on one occasion Gidget is talking to Eureka about what what love is. Gidget says something to the effect of, "I can't explain it, but every time I see Moondoggie, all I want is to make him feel happy." Once again, I felt the impact of these words - a pure, selfless expression of a primal human desire.

That brings me nicely to the point that some of the characters were very well done. Ray and Charles straight up stole the show for the episodes they were present - they were thoroughly convincing as a couple, something which much of fiction seems to completely miss. I also really enjoyed the interactions of the minor characters within the Gekko State crew, spoiler[which is probably why I was slightly disappointed by the ending completely ignoring them.]

Ultimately, I think how much you enjoy Eureka 7 depends largely on how much you are moved by the raw emotion the show puts forth, and whether you can stomach a romance that is essentially built on puppy-love. I for one was able accept both, and thus enjoyed the show immensely. It's nowhere near perfect, but it's definitely something truly special.

Last edited by simmeh on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Funnile enough, now when I read your post, I realised how much I did not like most of the main characters. I was not fond of Eureka (perhaps because 90% of her dialogue consited of one single word- "Renton!"), Talho (especially Talho), Holland who was in a relationship with one woman while thinking of being with two others at the same time, Renton, and the cherry on the cake- the obnoxious kids that made the first episodes almost unbereable.

I felt like I bonded much better with background characters, Ray and Charles were the highlight of the whole show for me and one of the best anime couples I have seen so far.

Despite the lack of fondness for the characters though, I agree, there is something special about the series that makes watching it quite a unique and enjoyable experience. Maybe it's the "How are they going to make it?" factor, maybe the mystery behind what's going on, maybe occasional manifestations of humour mixed with drama, or maybe, despite the fact that the characters have so many faults, they remain quite consequent in what they do.
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Although I did enjoy seeing the crew of the Gekkostate and the main characters grow throughout the series, I do agree that Ray and Charles were fantastic additions to the show. They were a great contrast to the Gekkostate and a vehicle to move the idea of Renton wanting a family but never really having one. They were such strong characters and spoiler[even after Ray became an antagonist, you couldn't help but feel for her loss.]

My favorite moments were definitely from the last few episodes, "Do You Want Me" and "Planet Rock". spoiler[When Renton saw how ashamed Eureka was of her transformation, and he took the rock to his arm, it was so intense. It felt human and raw. I mean, what a powerful image. And then in the next episode, when Renton wakes up and sees Eureka with her wings, and she doesn't want him to see her, she turns away. And he just says how beautiful she is. It was so simple yet strong. And the look on her face. Man, it was moments like that that showed me how strong their love was without having to directly say "I love you."]

Great stuff.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing with Ray and Charles is how much people generally dislike them in the middle part- when they break onto the Gekkostate, and their dislike/hatred for Eureka seems quite excessive.

And then you find about the reason, and how great of a couple they were. I found the bond between Ray and Charles amazing- the flashback when spoiler[Charles proposes to Ray after she loses her baby] was really beautiful. I think it showed such deep emotions you would not expect of them, and then spoiler[you realise it's too late and that they are already gone]. And although I personally started off by cheering for Holland spoiler[and his attack on Charles to succeed, later on I felt sorry he did].
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I also loved the Beams. Renton needed them at that stage in his life. Charles was more of a father than Holland and even Adrock ever were.

One look at my icon on here and you can guess my favorite E7 character. Stoner wasn't as deep as some others, but I loved his attitude. I can't remember if it was stated in the show or if I made it up, but I liked that he was an old war photographer turned philosophizing rebel. He took some great pictures in the show. Plus I have this theory that the second ED was a Gekkostate photoshoot done by Stoner. It has all the style, and plus Stoner is shown as a main character alongside Renton, Eureka, Holland, and Talho, like it was his signature on it. I just liked his chill attitude, plus he's wearing normal clothes that could realistically be cosplayed.
Thomas de Modena

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that there is still great interest in this wonderful anime Eureka seveN. When ever I have down time I pull out my old VHS copy and find my favorite episodes, or better still I'll go to the anime here at ANN and rewatch in Japanese.
Which brings me to my point, I found lately that I prefer to rewatch Eureka seveN in Japanese then in my adult swim copies. Mostly its the Voice actors in Japanese I found more favorable to the eng.-dub, so does anyone else prefer the Eng.-dub to the Japanese? Or have you found to have more of a prefence for the Japanese dub as I do? They're really not that much different, except a few of the characters (Renton,Eureka) sound more mature in Japanese.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Well, in general I dont like dubs. I have first seen the whole of Eureka subbed and loved it.

A few months back I was at my frieds who cannot stand subs, and we watched a few odd episodes of the series dubbed intead to revive old memories. The dub was OK. But I still prefer the sub. Actually, the dub was quite awful in the way they pronounced the name Eureka. I dont know what it was, but it sounded quite artificial. They did use the original pronunciation of the name, somehow it bothered me though.

There was a number of voices I strongly preferred in Japanese, like Matthew. Not that I understand a lot of spoken Japanese or that he was speaking a lot, but I liked the way he sounded better than in the English version.
Sunbeam vi Britannia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I watched Eureka 7 before on Adult Swim. I was really watching it towards the ending. It was okay, but it started late.
rkoziol7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
There was a computer gave of the same title, wasn't it? ...

Last edited by rkoziol7 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20