• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
v1cious wrote:
the show is doing horrible on Adult swim... and i mean REALLY horrible.

Really how do you know, did you find out its ratings? I'd be interested in a link to em if you could. It just surprises me thats all.

Plus it sucks that all the new anime is on saturdays, really doesn't give them a fair chance does it.

not sure of the exact number, but this week was below 175,000
http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=167557

starting this week, they're pushing it to the end of the lineup. i'm starting to think they may not pick up more episodes.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks v1cious,

Man this just confirms what I have been thinking for a long time. That the people at [as] have something against anime, at least the majority of them anyway. I mean putting all your new anime on saturdays, bad idea.

I guess you could counter with,"but Naruto is doing really good". But it is on earlier and aimed at a different age group. since it comes on shortly after it gets dark all the kids who want to watch it are most likely just getting home. The age group they are going for with E7 is out getting drunk or trying to get laid, probably both, on saturdays. Saturdays are prime time for that activity. I have had my suspicions ever since they made sunday only comedy, as sunday ratings has always been a strong day. Making this day void of anime is an assault on it.

Now when they say they don't want anime they can always point to its low ratings and say "I'm not buying that, the ratings suck", all while smiling to your face, even though it was there plan all along to set it up for failure. Mad Evil or Very Mad Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Do TiVo, VCR, and DVR recordings get factored into the ratings at all? If not then it may be possible that there more people watching than the ratings indicate. But yeah, I always thought Saturday was a bad day to premire new episodes of anything. As people of said a lot of people are out doing other things. Also a lot of fans who would be watching are probably working as well. Saturday is basically the social day of the week, not chill out in front of the tube day. Also cons occur rather frequently, so I'm sure many potential viewers are enjoying the con scene rather than sitting in their hotel rooms and watching. Then again maybe AS assumes anime fans don't have a life. Honestly though I don't think AS really has something against anime fans. I think it was on this forum but I believe it was stated that one of the people in charge of programming (probably just the anime programming) is a fan. Shows like Family Guy and their other comedy staples are going to get more ratings than anime period simply because they have a much broader appeal. So naturally they get the more ideal timeslots. I think what it is is that AS knows that anime fans tend to be pretty dedicated, so if a show comes on that they enjoy then they will find some way to watch whereas people won't go out of their way to catch that Family Guy rerun. Also, I think another reason may be that a lot of fans probably buy the DVDs before the show starts to air on AS. These fans already have the DVD, and have probably watched it already (probably more than once) so why would they watch the same episode with commercials once a week (unless it's one of those Saturdays when nothing's going on and they just decide to turn on AS and the show happens to be on)? I don't think many people think "I need to tune in regardless of whether or not I've seen the show to help the ratings." It's both the whole "my vote doesn't count" mentality and I believe I read that only a certain number of homes are outfitted with cable boxes that actually report on what's being watched. Either way, anime would probably fair better if it was on during the week (an extra half hour wouldn't kill the network, just one premire an evening) but I don't think anime airs on Saturdays simply because AS wants to secretly oust it out of their programming.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Without voicing an Essay of an oppinion, I'd like to say that I am quite fond of E7. I was intrigued with it and started watching a lot of it. I admit, at times I felt like It wasn't all that I had hoped but the show quickly changed my mind and I'm back into it.
I agree with the topic creator, I liked Holland a lot in the first couple episodes, however, spoiler[ later in the show I began to hate him because he was being a (for lack of a better term) asshole to Renton. I suppose this is because of the "newfound understanding" that Renton aquires after well, a lot happens till his eventual leaving of the Gekko-Go.] I believe the writers did a great job bacause they make you feel what the characters are feeling. It really makes for a great show, though I would have prefered the episodes to be a little longer as most are not great stand-alone. Plus we all know how long a week can be when we are waiting for one of those "pivital episodes."

Writing (story): 3.5 / 5
Characters (development): 5 / 5
Animation/Art: 4.5 / 5 (what's with the pink explosions?!?)
Overall: 4.5 / 5
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Do TiVo, VCR, and DVR recordings get factored into the ratings at all? If not then it may be possible that there more people watching than the ratings indicate. But yeah, I always thought Saturday was a bad day to premire new episodes of anything. As people of said a lot of people are out doing other things. Also a lot of fans who would be watching are probably working as well. Saturday is basically the social day of the week, not chill out in front of the tube day. Also cons occur rather frequently, so I'm sure many potential viewers are enjoying the con scene rather than sitting in their hotel rooms and watching. Then again maybe AS assumes anime fans don't have a life. Honestly though I don't think AS really has something against anime fans. I think it was on this forum but I believe it was stated that one of the people in charge of programming (probably just the anime programming) is a fan. Shows like Family Guy and their other comedy staples are going to get more ratings than anime period simply because they have a much broader appeal. So naturally they get the more ideal timeslots. I think what it is is that AS knows that anime fans tend to be pretty dedicated, so if a show comes on that they enjoy then they will find some way to watch whereas people won't go out of their way to catch that Family Guy rerun. Also, I think another reason may be that a lot of fans probably buy the DVDs before the show starts to air on AS. These fans already have the DVD, and have probably watched it already (probably more than once) so why would they watch the same episode with commercials once a week (unless it's one of those Saturdays when nothing's going on and they just decide to turn on AS and the show happens to be on)? I don't think many people think "I need to tune in regardless of whether or not I've seen the show to help the ratings." It's both the whole "my vote doesn't count" mentality and I believe I read that only a certain number of homes are outfitted with cable boxes that actually report on what's being watched. Either way, anime would probably fair better if it was on during the week (an extra half hour wouldn't kill the network, just one premire an evening) but I don't think anime airs on Saturdays simply because AS wants to secretly oust it out of their programming.

I'm not sure, I know that every time you update your TIVO it's supposed to send back a little piece of info on what you've been watching and all that. Some studios take that into consideration, some dont. This was a hot topic back when the last Star Trek series was on, because with the TIVO numbers thrown in the show wasn't doing that bad in the ratings. However I think VCR's and stuff are just counted like someone watching it normally. The Nelson box just records what station it's on. I don't know if they've found a way to hook them into vcr's and all that, i know the old boxes were only on when the TV's were turned on.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
I downloaded the entire first season last fall fansubbed and watched it at one time, which is probably better than having to wait a week between eps, especially for the first half of the series which is pretty slow. The first 10-12 eps are about like the first 30 min. of a movie, where they set up the characters, situations, etc. After that they get into the meat of the storyline, and then things get really good.
And don't be too sure that you've seen who the characters really are, in fact none of them has been fleshed out yet. There is a lot more to the crew of the Gekko State than the stoner-dudes persona that has been displayed so far.
I think this is one series which will go over much better when they strip it on the Mon-Thur lineup after the initial showing is finished.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote
Thank you, blackness. I was deliberating this very topic myself; in my case wether to pick up the DVD releases or just continue to record it every Saturday.

I have to admit, with reare exception, that I only picked up the Mecha series that I do have for fanservice! However, I was watching Eureka 7 (what's with the pronunciation of Eureka, anyway?) in the hopes of seeing something akin to Full Metal Panic! which I enjoy immensly.

Although I will keep watching for the mysteries to resolve, if it's this slow, I can't see picking up such a long series on DVD. I have problems believing in some of the characters, but I am old, and I suspect that the show is geared toward a much younger audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
-gecko wrote:
(what's with the pronunciation of Eureka, anyway?)

Guess they either goofed up while trying to pronouce "Eureka" or decided it would be cooler to pronounce it by the exact romanization to Japanese. To really sound like the 'real' way to pronouce "Eureka," it would have to be romanized as "Yuurika." Which doesn't seem like it would be "Eureka" at first glance.

-gecko wrote:
I suspect that the show is geared toward a much younger audience.

I would think that it is geared toward the same demographic as that of Full Metal Alchemist.

I made it a point to monitor Holland on everything he does. He is perhaps the most troubled character in all of Eureka 7, and as you progress, you begin to understand why he acts the way he does and even sympathize with the times he snaps at various people in his crew (namely Renton).
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
I've been following this show since the first fansubs popped up a while back.

I definately don't see Eureka 7 as a Mecha-anime. Sure there are mecha, but the character interactions are much more important to the story than "ooo-big-flashy-mecha!". In that respect, it's sort of like Patlabor (which is a great collection of OVAs, Tv anime and movies).

I know for a fact that I love this anime because I care a lot about the main characters. I'm always rooting for Renton and almost cheered out loud when spoiler[ Renton finally confessed his love to Eureka] and nearly punched my pc screen when spoiler[Holland kept picking on Renton]

I'm actually quite surprised that Eureka 7 isn't doing so well on Adult Swim. I run an Eureka 7 fangroup on an anime forum and we saw a big increase in member applicants after E7 aired on Adult Swim. It's a real shame...
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I can't understand what the main plot is on Eureka Seven yet. Every episode they show this guy with like long light blue-ish white-ish hair who was in a prison and they talk about weird explosions. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Also they have these old people who sit around a huge green statue. I really hope that they can explain this in the next few episodes because it is way too confusing for me right now.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Honestly, I can't understand what the main plot is on Eureka Seven yet. Every episode they show this guy with like long light blue-ish white-ish hair who was in a prison and they talk about weird explosions. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Also they have these old people who sit around a huge green statue. I really hope that they can explain this in the next few episodes because it is way too confusing for me right now.

so how many episodes have you watched? and did you start from the beginning?...
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:

I've watched the first seven episodes aired on Adult Swim. I Tivo it every Saturday. The thing is though that I can't really understand who exactly all the weird people are (like the guy with the long hair from the prison, the old people around the green statue) and the deal with Nirvash. What's so special about it? I guess it's just me not paying enough attention to what's going on.
Kidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Kidder wrote:

I've watched the first seven episodes aired on Adult Swim. I Tivo it every Saturday. The thing is though that I can't really understand who exactly all the weird people are (like the guy with the long hair from the prison, the old people around the green statue) and the deal with Nirvash. What's so special about it? I guess it's just me not paying enough attention to what's going on.

lol... ummm lemme think... it's been a while since i saw the first 7 eps... without giving away any spoilers I can tell you that the beginning may seem a bit slow, I guarentee it gets a LOT better later on. Remember this is a 50 episode anime so don't expect the entire story to be revealed in the first 10 episodes. The next couple of episodes that will air on Adult Swim will basically be the day-to-day life of the crew of Gekkostate. It gives a chance for you (the audience) to get to know the crew members and what Gekkostate is all about. It'll also expand more on the Eureka Seven world, such as what is Trapar and why the Nirvash is so important.

The long hair guy from the prison is VERY important later on in the show. However, at the moment you don't need to know who he is because he won't be included in the story till much later (at least another 10 eps i think) so just pretend you didn't see him Razz I also find it a little weird how they introduced him so early on. Maybe the E7 writers didn't expect to get a 2nd season... Thank God they did Laughing

The old people around the green statue... I'm not sure what you mean. Do you know which episode that was in? Taking a wild stab in the dark, I'd guess it was probably Renton's Gramps and the ol' timers of the town?

Anyways I hope that helped. Give E7 a chance Laughing, if you still don't like it after seeing more than 10 episodes then maybe it's not the right show for you. You Tivo it anyway so at least try to finish the first 26 episodes Anime smile
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Eureka 7. I thinks it's OK for me to go through one viewing of it. Unlike with NGE, though, I'm not feeling the urge to watch it again as of this writing.

I was thrown off by the pronunciation of the title character's name, then I realized it was being pronounced phonetically. That's what most languages do to words from other language, and Japanese is no different. What puzzles me is why is the 7 in the title?

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig) ended its premier run on Adult Swim last weekend. That series had been airing during the 12:30am ET timeslot..... However, starting 10 June 2006 GITS(whatever) moves from 12:30am ET to midnight, E7 is being moved at from midnight to 1:30am ET, Samurai Champloo moves from 1:00am to 12:30am ET, and Cowboy Bebop moves from 1:30am ET to 1:00am ET. I'm not sure why E7 is getting bumped to the tail end of the East Coast feed, and I'm not sure how GITS(whatever) and Samurai Champloo would help garner higher ratings with those changes.

Given that E7 contains 50 episodes, I'm thinking there is a story which will unfold slowly. With all the characters involved, i think the first dozen or so episodes are devoted to character development-- it's not enough to just introduce them, and reasosn have to be demonstrated for us to care about them. I wasn't too keen on Talho at first because she looked stuck up, but even within the first 7 episodes her character changed enough for me to look forward to seeing her. Character development takes time, and it has to be done right if the series is to acquire the fans it wants. I won't call myself a fan of E7, but I'm willing to watch it on Adult Swim.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
The old people around the green statue... I'm not sure what you mean. Do you know which episode that was in? Taking a wild stab in the dark, I'd guess it was probably Renton's Gramps and the ol' timers of the town?

Anyways I hope that helped. Give E7 a chance Laughing, if you still don't like it after seeing more than 10 episodes then maybe it's not the right show for you. You Tivo it anyway so at least try to finish the first 26 episodes Anime smile

The old people are the "Sage Council" according to adultswim.com under the description of episode 8 I believe. They're around a huge green statue that looks like Renton's compact drive that says "Eureka."

I'm not saying that Eureka Seven is boring or that I'm not interested. Several of my favorite series have been 50+ episode series (FMA, Gundam SEED, Naruto, etc.). I'm only saying that I don't get the main plot if it has been subtlely explained. I have alot of questions but I hope that they are going to be answered because I look forward to watching this series. But thanks for clearing up that I can look forward to that later on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20