• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air Gear (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
um lolz how far back did that person go to find this??? i just cought up in the Manga yesterday so i haven't watched the anime yet
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Please understand that I don't mean to necropost; I got this out of the series discussion index, which I have been told is an official list of things that we may always post to. I also felt it wrong just to start up another Air Gear thread when there are already three - albeit old ones. Nevertheless, I just finished the series, and actually really enjoyed it. I had a question though: I was wondering why there is so much criticism of the animation. I thought it actually looked quite crisp, and tried to keep many of the idiosyncrasies of Oh! Great's unique style. My criticism, as stated elsewhere already, was that Spitfire and Simca didn't play as large a role in the anime as they did in the manga.

I have to admit it too; I loved the theme song. Cool
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series a lot. I've been hoping for another season, but it doesn't look too likely after such a long time. I'm hoping though cause I really want to get a proper conclusion.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not really familiar with it, there was an animated movie called "-Break on the Sky-" or something similar to that. Considering that it is about as close as we'll ever get to another series, I'd like to hear about it. I'm with you though; I'd love a proper finish.
The_Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually just wrapped up watching this one a few days ago and i was pretty impressed. I started out rather skeptical as guys running around on rollerblades seemed a little...different.. but once you get into a few episodes the show starts to pick up. It has a real 'Historys Strongest Disciple' feel to it as far as the character and story development goes which i enjoyed, the ending really wasnt that bad but they definately could have taken the show further.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
The ending was definitely the point of contention for me, though I'm obsessed with the series otherwise. I would have liked to see it continue since the manga has so many more chapters of storyline that weren't adapted into anything. After all, it is still being drawn!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Air Gear is one that ADV deemed was not feasible to release on DVD in the UK so it was put on their short-lived digital distribution service, with the first few episodes free.
I watched the free episodes, but it didn't grab me enough to want to pay for more.
In short, I checked it out then checked out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Was it just not your sort of thing, or did you have a specific complaint about the series? I know that some people say it was too generic when you consider the idea of an activity that the main character has to excel at it achieve something in particular, but I just clamored for the idea of an extreme sports anime and manga series.
The_Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
If only it really gave us more on the extreme sports side of things, the image of Simca blasting out from between two buildings, over roof tops, and off into the distance was outstanding! But they really didn't back that up much which was a real shame, a bit of freestyle riding around just because they could would have really complimented the idea that AT's gave their riders complete freedom.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I totally know what you mean about that. Though we have a few different classes of competition like the idea of a dash and hurdles, it would have also been nice to see break down along real sports lines. Some comments that Ringo made hint at ATs being used for a variety of things, but we don't get to see this. Riders who compete in time attack, freestyle riders and numerous other classes would have given the show a lot more depth. I did love the scene you're talking about with Simca the Swallow though!
ikki_king

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
I enjoyed this series a lot. I've been hoping for another season, but it doesn't look too likely after such a long time. I'm hoping though cause I really want to get a proper conclusion.

couldnt agree more, i love the Air Gear series and aside from being one of the first anime i ever watched later become the first anime i loved enough to then read the entire manga (many times) i understand that some people are thrown off by the wierd combination of themes i.e sport, fighting and a little ecchi but i belive Ito "Oh Great" Ōgure to be a genius and this is my fave anime of all time Smile just 1 persons oppinion
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
Since you seem to like Oh! Great as much as I do, have you had an opportunity to check out any of his other work? If you've loved Air Gear you'll certainly like it. I'm guessing from your avatar and your name, Ikki is your favorite character? Mind if I ask a bit why? Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. My own favorite has always been a bit hard to choose to be honest, but Kazu always seemed to have the best outlook to the sport of ATs. That being said, my favorite was probably Agito/Akito because the insanity plot is just so amusing.
ikki_king

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Since you seem to like Oh! Great as much as I do, have you had an opportunity to check out any of his other work? If you've loved Air Gear you'll certainly like it. I'm guessing from your avatar and your name, Ikki is your favorite character? Mind if I ask a bit why? Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. My own favorite has always been a bit hard to choose to be honest, but Kazu always seemed to have the best outlook to the sport of ATs. That being said, my favorite was probably Agito/Akito because the insanity plot is just so amusing.

Of course Tenjho Tenge was a great anime and i love some of his clothing designs for the tekken games ofcourse i only found them when googleing his name but instantly knew they where his as they where very similar design to many of the air gear outfits (specifically "Rika's")

agreed with the Agito/Akito possibly one of the most unique character concepts ever, i guess i whent with ikki as i have always liked his ideals, and back story especially about his sense of freedom, also he pulls some quite hilarious stunts >.<
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Like we were saying before, freedom is a very important concept in Air Gear as a whole. However, I'd like to see more of it like we said. I actually didn't realize that Oh! Great did any fashion designs for Tekken, but now that you mention it, I can really see a lot of that influence coming out. Frankly, going back to Agito/Akito, that character fashion design was really interesting. I've never seen someone combine a skater outfit with a straight jacket before.
ikki_king

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yer one thing no one can deny is Oh! Greats ability to design amazing and unique characters, in all the anime I've watched I've never come across another character that’s reminded me of the air gear characters, except maybe Onigiri the standard otaku pervert....then again he does ride upside down with a skate on his head :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3