• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
*rings buzzer* Wrong...

Fumoffu is manga story line...just out of order. The original FMP manga has much much more comedy than the original series did. Several of the escapades experienced during fumoffu took place during the main story line, it just wasn't animated for the original series.

To use your language, *rings buzzer* Wrong...

Fumoffu is not based on the manga. None of FMP! is based on the manga. FMP! was first a series of novels. Both the anime and the manga are based on the novels. The novels could be said to be divided into those that have the main storyline and those that feature side stories that don't directly relate to the main story. The first FMP! anime series used material from both the main storyline and from the side stories. Fumoffu is based entirely on the side stories, except for the ninth episode which was original for the anime. The author actually liked it so much that he adapted it into the side story novels. Except for the first few episodes, TSR is based entirely on the main story novels. The first few episodes were original for the anime, but still written by the author of the novels.

So, in a sense, one could say that TSR is a sequel to the main story parts of the first FMP! series, but Fumoffu could still be said to be a sequel to the side story parts of the first series.
blizeH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
I appreciate everybodys responses but I don't think I will be picking up this anime. I didn't care for "girl beats up guy" style of comedy in the first FMP. That sounds like all Fumoffu. Thanks but I'll pass, I'll just wait until TSR comes out.

From what I've seen so far that's really not the case, although the humour is very similar to that seen in the original series of Full Metal Panic.

I'd definitely recommend that you watch it though, I'm onto about episode five now and I've absolutely loved it so far, it still keeps up a good mix of comedy, action and romance and thus far has a good storyline. Not to mention the scene with the Botka-kun is without a doubt the funniest cutest thing I've ever seen in an anime! ^_^
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
I would definetly recommend fumoffu. Its by far one of the funniest animes I've seen. My personal favorite episode is when sosuke trains all of the passifist rugby players by putting them through a crash course in hardcore military training which ends up turning them into a bunch blood thirsty animals.

Last edited by LightYagami on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
blizeH and LightYagami, I think the author appreciates your responses but wouldn't it have been better to reply in April of last year when the question was asked? I doubt Thanatos is still pondering whether to watch Fumoffu or not. In fact, the last thread he made he was asking about TSR, so he's either already decided to skip it or has watched it and moved on.

If you guys are gonna reply to posts wouldn't it be best to reply to something that is a bit more current than 11 months ago, maybe something people are actively discussing? Or if you wanna discuss Fumoffu I'm sure no one would mind if you started a new thread since there is not a recent Fumoffu specific thread that I can recall. I may even post in it since I am actually currently re-watching it and it is my favorite of the Full Metal Panic! franchise.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Actually, this is the only Fumoffu topic listed in the "All Discussions" thread (strange as it may sound). There was another one that blize had posted in earlier, but I deleted the whole thing because it only had a total of 3 posts, so I suggested he use this one.

Not sure if a new and more current thread for Fumoffu is needed at this point, but anybody is free to start one (just remember to make a good opener, so I won't have to lock it Wink).
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Actually, this is the only Fumoffu topic listed in the "All Discussions" thread (strange as it may sound). There was another one that blize had posted in earlier, but I deleted the whole thing because it only had a total of 3 posts, so I suggested he use this one.

Not sure if a new and more current thread for Fumoffu is needed at this point, but anybody is free to start one (just remember to make a good opener, so I won't have to lock it Wink).

Ok, how about if they want to talk about Fumoffu, can they revive this one? I just now found it after I finally got the forum search to work (that thing is nitpicky). It only has 5 posts but it is fairly recent, January's not too long ago.

ETA: @ Blize and Light, sorry for being a jerk, guys. I didn't know the circumstances, and I should learn to stop posting before going to bed, I get all cranky when I'm sleepy.

Edited again to fix the link.
blizeH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
It's no problem at all, and I apologise for bringing this topic 'back from the dead' but I just thought it'd be cool to maybe discuss this somewhere as I progress through the series and it was listed in the all anime listings thread.

I dunno, I'm happy to do whatever, post here, post in the other thread or if the mods/admins would rather not bring back old topics then that's no problem either Smile
blizeH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just been watching some more of this and I must say it's brilliant so far. Only up to the 9th episode but it's already made me laugh more than any other anime I've seen, the parts where Sasuke is holding up the signs and when he was fighting that first martial arts expert in particular were absolutely brilliant. Smile

/watches some more
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
After a year I finally finished the last episode of Fumoffu, and although I didn't want to like it at first the series grew on me. My favorite episodes were the ones with Tessa in them and actually missed her, Mao and Kurz more than the mecha and action. The support characters in Fumoffu just didn't grab my attention.

The series felt inconsistent at times and I also thought that the rugby and social club episodes stood out while I can't even remember what happens in other episodes, especially the half sized stories.

One thing that I noticed is that the three series have almost a completely different staff. The only people who seem to stick around are the two creators, the animation directors and the sound/music guys. I poked around the forums but couldn't find the reasoning behind this. DId the creators not like the writing staff, storyboardists, directors, and producers? Kyoto animation seem to keep more people from the FMP to Fumoffu transition, than the internal Fumoffu to TSR transition which makes me think it might not be a studio thing. Was there a big internal fight in which direction the series should go since the first two series are so different?

I like it when a series does something different with it's sequels. The only other example I can think of is the three Crest/Banner of the Stars series, which shared much of the same staff (most of the prdoucers,, story boards, unit direcors and the art and animation directors worked on all three) with each other. I love how the simple journey of Jinto and Lafiel turn into a Das Boot style series and into something completely different for the third series, yet take place in the same universe. I suppose the lackluster Gundam ZZ could be counted, and even this series had a huge crossover in staff from Zeta.

This thread seems fairly relevant, since it isn't centered around a potential sequel, or questions about TSR's R1 release date. I'm personally all for continuing a ore-existing in order to avoid repeating what others have already said.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
HA, I can't believe this thread is still breathing. I made this thread EXACTLY 1 year and 1 day ago!

In case anybody was wondering I never did buy fumoffu, I did buy TSR and I am a little disappointed with it. Maybe the final dvd of TSR will make it all better, but wow I am pretty mad with how poor it seems to be going. Maybe they should have stopped after the first season.....

Needless to say but I am glad that I did not buy fumoffu!
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Do I need to first watch Full Metal Panic before watching this? I'm looking for an anime that's more like Fumoffu than the original FMP, and I don't really want to watch the original FMP right now.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
You don't "have to" as the story and plot has nothing to do with eachother. Fumoffu really has no story to it other than daily lives in high school. However, you don't get any kind of character introduction by skipping FMP. I don't think picking up on it would be too hard, but other than the situations themselves and how the character's react, they don't hold your hand. I imagine you wouldn't even understand who some people are without seeing the first series.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
You don't "have to" as the story and plot has nothing to do with eachother. Fumoffu really has no story to it other than daily lives in high school. However, you don't get any kind of character introduction by skipping FMP. I don't think picking up on it would be too hard, but other than the situations themselves and how the character's react, they don't hold your hand. I imagine you wouldn't even understand who some people are without seeing the first series.

How about I read up the character summaries on Wikipedia?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
I would argue it's nowhere near the same. In my opinion, it's best to be watched after the first season. I'm sure there are people who have not watched it in order and will disagree with me though so it's really up to you.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
Do I need to first watch Full Metal Panic before watching this? I'm looking for an anime that's more like Fumoffu than the original FMP, and I don't really want to watch the original FMP right now.

If you don't want to watch all of FMP, then just watch the first volume or two. That will lay the style, key characters, situations, and relationships out for you well enough to "get" everything in Fumoffu. (With one exception: you also need to know that spoiler[Tessa eventually becomes attracted to Sousuke], which doesn't come up until much later in the first series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5