• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benakano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
I loved the FMP series I saw the first one and then bought the first DVD to Fumoffu out of curiosity and I got to say its pretty funny... lol the pony man and the gun wielding Bunticoon makes me want to see it all over again and I think I will Laughing
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
x_silversurfer wrote:
joel_s95387 wrote:
I've heard Fumoffu describes as "FMP without the mechs and action". I haven't seen it, but would this statement be correct?

Yup. There are a few scenes where there is some gun play, but it is mostly in a comedic way, and cannot really be counted as action...
Oh, and the teddy bear suit might be labeled as mecha... because it is kindof a mobile armor suit... haha... That part is my favorite... I really love this series!

Khrim

This is why I am hesitant to pick it up. I thought it was pretty annoying when Sosuke would say something and Kaname would beat his ass. ANNOYING!

P.S. Joel I haven't heard from you in awhile what the hell have you been up to?
jaybug39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Dear One 3rd;
Bunta-kun was seen in the background in FMP.
So is Bunta-kun it's name? Or a type of animal? Like Bandicoot?

And yes it was an effective weapons platform. A real sleeper! Let's you get in real close to unsuspecting targets. Only drawback was the external speaker system.
daristar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved Fumoffu.

There is quite a bit of action, just not the mechs/Mithril ops.

Some of the promo stuff I've seen for it mentions romantic comedy, but really it's not. It'll shed more light on Sosoke's and Kanami's relationship, but it's almost all comedy.

Stuff still blows up too. Very Happy

It might help when you get to TSR...just depends. At least some of Tessa's dialogue makes more sense in light of Fumoffu IMO.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
x_silversurfer wrote:
joel_s95387 wrote:
I've heard Fumoffu describes as "FMP without the mechs and action". I haven't seen it, but would this statement be correct?

Yup. There are a few scenes where there is some gun play, but it is mostly in a comedic way, and cannot really be counted as action...
Oh, and the teddy bear suit might be labeled as mecha... because it is kindof a mobile armor suit... haha... That part is my favorite... I really love this series!

Khrim

This is why I am hesitant to pick it up. I thought it was pretty annoying when Sosuke would say something and Kaname would beat his ass. ANNOYING!

Yeah, that does happen, and it does get a little old, but there are some interesting ways how they keep shoing the same story, but with different results and interesting connections to the outside world, such as all the books that their teacher is reading on the beach in episode 3 (see the trivia section, I put them all up there for reference).
Personally I liked the series, but that is also my opinion, so it may actually not be worth too much... It is for you guys to decide weather or not you like the same stuff as me, or if you just don't agree with me at all, either is fine. Razz

Khrim
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
x_silversurfer wrote:

Yeah, that does happen, and it does get a little old, but there are some interesting ways how they keep shoing the same story, but with different results and interesting connections to the outside world, such as all the books that their teacher is reading on the beach in episode 3 (see the trivia section, I put them all up there for reference).

Umm, hate to say this but Atsunobu Hayashimizu is the Class President not a teacher. Sad Sorry. Crying or Very sad
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Dear One 3rd;
Bunta-kun was seen in the background in FMP.
So is Bunta-kun it's name? Or a type of animal? Like Bandicoot?

Well, it's a teddy-bear and its name is Bonta-kun.
hadou-ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
it ain't worth it. this is an anime that's supposed to be a combination of meccha/action with comedy and some love stuff. Fumoffu is just plain stupid, all comedy and ridiculous one
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
x_silversurfer wrote:

Umm, hate to say this but Atsunobu Hayashimizu is the Class President not a teacher. Sad Sorry. Crying or Very sad

Oh, sorry I confused something somewhere along there... My main area of influence is philosophy... I'll change them right away, thank you for informing me!

Khrim
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate everybodys responses but I don't think I will be picking up this anime. I didn't care for "girl beats up guy" style of comedy in the first FMP. That sounds like all Fumoffu. Thanks but I'll pass, I'll just wait until TSR comes out.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
I appreciate everybodys responses but I don't think I will be picking up this anime. I didn't care for "girl beats up guy" style of comedy in the first FMP. That sounds like all Fumoffu. Thanks but I'll pass, I'll just wait until TSR comes out.

Really, it's mostly not like that except for a couple of episodes. But if you didn't like the comedy in Full Metal Panic!, then I imagine you might not like Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
I swear, this is the first time an anime comedy has had me in tears from laughing (at least, the first time since Dragon Half). A lot of them, I just grin like a fool, or chuckle. Here, I'm laughing till it hurts. Its so over the top. It's like they took the funniest parts of FMP! and just went crazy with it.
Certainly, the highlight of the series so far is Bonta-kun's slugfest with the crazy cop. That was beyond awesome.

Fumoffu's style of comedy is different somehow. I can't really say why. Maybe because it's not lighting-paced like PPD, Excel Saga or Puni Puni, nor is it as surreal as Cromartie. I compare the humor to Malcom in the Middle. I dunno. It's just different.

TSR's supposed to be much darker, right? That's hard to imagine.

A top 10 for sure .
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
TSR is a direct sequel to the first FMP!, so it's not that hard to imagine it being pretty dark at times. Fumoffu was just a comedy spinoff that has no relation to the main storyline other than sharing the same characters and title.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
*rings buzzer* Wrong...

Fumoffu is manga story line...just out of order. The original FMP manga has much much more comedy than the original series did. Several of the escapades experienced during fumoffu took place during the main story line, it just wasn't animated for the original series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
goins007

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I think they ment the anime story line, in which the stuff from Fumoffu was cut out. Anyways, I agree it was some pretty funny stuff. My favs are the class art project and pickup contest. But just wait to you get to TSR, (my feeling anyway) it's darker then the first one and has more action in it. Anyone know if they are working on the next part of the story?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5