• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
So if I'm to understand all the posts in this thread (which is nigh impossible), Haruhi has somehow crossed over from hi skool hijinx to Evangelion-style symbolism and metaphor? Am I missing out on a bunch of stuff just because I'm enjoying watching it and not actively studying it? Is anyone else out there just saying, "Damn, this is a fun show?"

Actually, I think it's a really fun show too, and I don't think you're missing that much if you don't understand the stuff I pointed out. However, part of the fun for me is trying to discover all these little hidden secrets--it's pretty rare that an anime tests the intellect and general knowledge like this one does, and that contributes to me liking Melancholy~ so much.

And while Abunai didn't want us making comparisons to NGE, I think I read in one of the Platinum booklets (or maybe it was the commentary) that the OP of Eva was highly analyzed back in the day, simply because it has so many cuts and scenes from later in the series that plant mysteries in the viewers' minds straight from the outset.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
can I come out of the corner now? D;/

All right, I guess. But I'm watching you.

Iron Chef wrote:
I'm totally using "hamhanded pretentiousness" when I review the new Tool CD.

Be my guest. My Indian name is "Speaks in Sound Bites".

Stupidman007 wrote:
This is really the best anime series that I've seen, what about the rest of you?

Umm. No. No, it's not. It's not even in the top three. But it is an excellent anime, and one of the two best of this season (the other is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni).

Zalis116 wrote:
Actually, I think it's a really fun show too, and I don't think you're missing that much if you don't understand the stuff I pointed out. However, part of the fun for me is trying to discover all these little hidden secrets--it's pretty rare that an anime tests the intellect and general knowledge like this one does, and that contributes to me liking Melancholy~ so much.

Actually, it isn't that rare. Every season, there's at least one or two anime that play this sort of game with us -- and they span the gamut from the fairly light-hearted mysteries of Shuffle! to the dark and hideous horrors (not yet proven to be squamous or rugose, but certainly unnameable for the present) that lurk in the morbid recesses of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

The judicious application of running mysteries and deep quasi-philosophical meaning in a lighter context is actually a much less rare technique of storytelling than you might think -- although the rare instances when it is used to full effect can be stunning. Just think of Twin Peaks.

Zalis116 wrote:
And while Abunai didn't want us making comparisons to NGE, I think I read in one of the Platinum booklets (or maybe it was the commentary) that the OP of Eva was highly analyzed back in the day, simply because it has so many cuts and scenes from later in the series that plant mysteries in the viewers' minds straight from the outset.

Sure... but the OP to NGE was basically just a series of unsubtle spoilers. The OP to MoHS (though I prefer the acronym SHnY, the former is apparently by now the accepted term... meh) is both more and less subtle. The fun part of the OP isn't trying to work out the storyline from it -- the spoilers are actually few and relatively unimportant. It's looking at all the quirky mad scientist babble the animators have used for backgrounds, and trying to work it all out (so far as I know, nobody has managed to completely identify all the references, yet).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of acronyms, whenever I don't feel like typing out "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" or "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu," I just shorten it to "Haruhi." It's short and it doesn't take a lot of guesswork to figure out what show I'm talking about. "MoHS" looks a lot like the word "moe" to me and "SHnY" looks like "Shakugan no Shana" to me from first glance.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
I guess part of me wants this to be a light and funny show, as shallow as that may be.

I felt the same way the first few episodes. I was craving a top-notch, tasteful light comedy so bad, and was so sure this series would be what I had been waiting for, that I actually tricked myself into overlooking all of the foreshadowing in the first few episodes. Kinda disappointed in myself, really.
dormcat wrote:
Darn it, KyoAni has really done something this time.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:36 (Haruhi) various chemical symbols/equations, including a benzene ring (C6H6), Time(universe) = r/v + */H ... , a product series (the big pi symbol on the right side, going from * to infinity (1^(pn-(p-1)) *=can't read or obscured by characters
background lower left has "Suzumiya Haruhi"

Plus several equations featuring Planck's constant and Schrödinger equation.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:40 (Haruhi~cheerleader) Clouds, some sort of wheel

Looks like a first-generation cavity magnetron. The tower at lower right looks like the one at Trinity site.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:44 (Mikuru~cheerleader) sundial, hourglass, and apparently some overhead shots of buildings. Most of the equations are beyond me, but the famous e=mc^2 is in there, and given Mikuru's nature, they seem like time/relativity equations. Numerous delta letter and triangle symbols, indicating "change," perhaps?

Some thermodynamics equations I couldn't identify. More partial derivatives....

Zalis116 wrote:
The rest of the scenes are fairly normal (aside from the massive tangle of stars, hearts, flowers, and rainbows), but watch Haruhi's left eye at 2:23, if you haven't already (I know someone has mentioned this).

That reminded me the end of Men in Black.

I can't help but wonder if any of that material referenced in the OP will eventually work it's way into the series. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that if and when the show gets down to brass tacks, explanations will appear in terms of theoretical/quantum physics. If it does come to that, I just hope the fine staff at Kyoto Animation will do their homework. Also, if this series takes a turn like that (and does it right), I'm sure quite a few folks following it will be displeased.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
It's looking at all the quirky mad scientist babble the animators have used for backgrounds, and trying to work it all out (so far as I know, nobody has managed to completely identify all the references, yet).

Two founding members of Shuffle Alliance are now professors in physics. I'd like to ask them a favor....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. So, I've come up with two theories. Theory 1, we're gonna jump around and get all of the mystery episodes (maybe 2 weeks from now we'll get the episode of 'random' pivotal plot points), and then gauntlet the resolve episodes. Theory 2, the spoiler[death or "death of Keiichi,] keeping in line with the series is it possible that Haruhi subconciously willed the event to happen? Given what we've been told and Haruhi's constant questioning about the possible mysteries of the mansion and the island I think it's plausible.

It may have been said earlier, but I want to say if there is some kind of award for seiyuu, I think this cast should get it. From Haruhi's constant energy and enthusiasm to Kyon's lackadaisical attitude everyone has done a superb job. In fact the overall audio quality of each episode is just addicting. Every bit is a joy to listen to. Given this series's hype it'll probably be the series to license this year. My bet is that ADV will aquire it (seems more up thier alley compared to other companies). I generally like ADV's dubs (and dubs in general), but with a series like this I am hoping for (and sort of expect) an above average job. It'll be hard to top the seiyuu on this one. I just don't want another Genshiken incident (Media Blasters put together a solid package but the dub was very weak). Anyway this is a series I look forward to every week and I can't wait to see what the SOS Brigade gets into next.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
It may have been said earlier, but I want to say if there is some kind of award for seiyuu, I think this cast should get it. From Haruhi's constant energy and enthusiasm to Kyon's lackadaisical attitude everyone has done a superb job. In fact the overall audio quality of each episode is just addicting.

Audio quality? Like the ska songs? Cool More anime soundtracks should incorporate ska. It's the ultimate mood lifter, especially for a show like Haruhi Suzumiya.

It didn't click until just a couple of weeks ago that Haruhi's seiyuu Aya Hirano was the same Aya Hirano I've been enjoying in Eyeshield 21 for the past year. And it was her work on Himawari that actually led me to discovering this. I thought she sounded familiar as Haruhi...but for some reason I just couldn't place her. I really look forward to hearing her more of her work in the future, even if the show is more Itsudatte My Santa quality than Haruhi Suzumiya quality.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi indeed has an impressive cast of seiyuu, but I wouldn't say that it is the strongest point of the anime. I'd say the best cast of seiyuu I have encountered is in School Rumble (Yui Horie as Eri, Ami Koshimizu as Tenma, Mamiko Noto as Yakumo). Rather, I think that if there was a special award for the most inventive anime, Haruhi should get it, with its eccentricity, subtle novelties, and its inventive strangeness. Although, I don't think this skipping around of episodes is doing the storyline much justice, but that's just me.

Hm, Mikuru's VA didn't strike me as the same one as Kaede from Shuffle! immediately, since it was rather hard to tell (for me at least) with all the screaming and shouting and off-pitch singing she had to do in the bad-movie first episode. In the second episode, I recognized her voice immediately, by the way she seems to "drop" her voice down after each "~desu ka?" or "~desu ne~". It sounds more moe that way, but I have to say that I don't really like Mikuru's voice actor. Not to knock her down, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I like her voice when she shouts though; maybe she should stand up to Haruhi more often. Very Happy
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yet another awesome episode for Haruhi. It's one hell of a tease that we won't have the resolution next episode (or maybe not at all?) A relatively straightforward episode but there were a few elements that had me mystified
1. What's up with the girl ripping up papers right at the beginning, during Itsuki's "closed circle" explanation?
2. Right before the scene with Kyon's sister in a bag, what's up with the red thing seemingly hanging from Kyon's pocket?
3. When rushing to Keiichi-san's room, what's up with Haruhi's sudden hesitation vs. the others (Itsuki only?) going to the right door?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Yet another awesome episode for Haruhi. It's one hell of a tease that we won't have the resolution next episode (or maybe not at all?) A relatively straightforward episode but there were a few elements that had me mystified
1. What's up with the girl ripping up papers right at the beginning, during Itsuki's "closed circle" explanation?
2. Right before the scene with Kyon's sister in a bag, what's up with the red thing seemingly hanging from Kyon's pocket?
3. When rushing to Keiichi-san's room, what's up with Haruhi's sudden hesitation vs. the others (Itsuki only?) going to the right door?

Theses are the same things im trying to figure out as well! but i cant get my head thinking straight...
...help anyone...?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Speaking of acronyms, whenever I don't feel like typing out "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" or "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu," I just shorten it to "Haruhi." It's short and it doesn't take a lot of guesswork to figure out what show I'm talking about. "MoHS" looks a lot like the word "moe" to me and "SHnY" looks like "Shakugan no Shana" to me from first glance.

For those following the Japanese side, what is the standard 4-kana contraction? SuzuHaru? SuzuYuu? HaruYuu?
frontymon wrote:
Haruhi indeed has an impressive cast of seiyuu, but I wouldn't say that it is the strongest point of the anime. I'd say the best cast of seiyuu I have encountered is in School Rumble (Yui Horie as Eri, Ami Koshimizu as Tenma, Mamiko Noto as Yakumo).

Hmm... what about Takahashi Hiroki (Harima)?

The seiyuu for MoHSSHnY are a great lot. I'm personally very taken with Gotou Yuuko (Mikuru). Her desperate eeks of horror when Haruhi violates her dignity yet again, and her sad, resigned voice whenever she accepts her inescapable doom are just hilarious ("if I cannot become a bride anymore, will you take me?" -that almost gave me an aneurysm).

The EVA comparison is appropriate in one dimension: that series became a bore when the fun of reading the symbology (hamhanded symbolism can still be quite fun, or C.S. Lewis would be just another repressed Oxford don) became a mean-spirited obsession. Let's hope Haruhi can avoid that horrible fate.

The bit of the OP that makes me curious is the hand lifting a (younger-morphing-into-older-with-school uniform) Haruhi up into the...?

Dan42 wrote:

I loved it how they make her pluck the daisy petals, and hesitate when she gets the wrong answer (and then pull two in one go). I'm almost sure it will turn out NOT to be a break-up letter and photos she's tearing up.

"Squamous or rugose?"... isn't "Higurashi no naku koro" just the yummiest thing ever? (do we have to use the red "na"?)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Hm, Mikuru's VA didn't strike me as the same one as Kaede from Shuffle! immediately, since it was rather hard to tell (for me at least) with all the screaming and shouting and off-pitch singing she had to do in the bad-movie first episode. In the second episode, I recognized her voice immediately, by the way she seems to "drop" her voice down after each "~desu ka?" or "~desu ne~".
One great little "Eek!" comparison can be made at about 3:45 in episode 1 of Shuffle!, right after Rin tells Kaede what her father had said to him. Classic stuff Smile

On a side note, what is with the red "na" in Higurashi no naku koro? Is it used in the title shown in the actual episodes or something? (I originally thought it was some kind of spelling correction, as if someone had misspelled it and Abunai was correcting them.)
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is actually used in the title of the show. There's also a red character in all of the episode titles too. That show is probably going to leave a lot of questions inadequately answered until the very end, which is how it should be, I suppose.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:
"Squamous or rugose?"

Nary a day goes by in the world of horror stories, without Lovecraft rearing his head.

xuebaochai wrote:
... isn't "Higurashi no naku koro" just the yummiest thing ever? (do we have to use the red "na"?)

Nah, I guess it isn't really necessary....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
xuebaochai wrote:
"Squamous or rugose?"

Nary a day goes by in the world of horror stories, without Lovecraft rearing his head.

xuebaochai wrote:
... isn't "Higurashi no naku koro" just the yummiest thing ever? (do we have to use the red "na"?)

Nah, I guess it isn't really necessary....

- abunai

I tell you what. That series has me so creeped out, that if it turns that Cthulhu is actually involved, I'll be relieved (I voted for him last election, after all).

p.s. I think I'm contractually required to reply: "Naturally, anatomically unnatural narratives navigate narrow analogies". Or something of the sort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 213