• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
The Sphinx wrote:
Considering what we know now (from the anime, setting aside the novels for now), there is a very interesting bit of dialogue in Episode 2. It's from Haruhi and Kyon's first real conversation, near the end.

[Haruhi stares at Kyon for several seconds]
HARUHI: Have I met you before? A long time ago...
KYON: Nope.

Narration: The trigger... while being nothing particularly significant... This would indeed be the trigger.

Who is right and who is wrong? Have they met? If they have, why doesn't Kyon remember? If they haven't, why does Haruhi respond to Kyon the way she does?

I keep thinking that Kyon also had a thought about her being "familiar" even before Haruhi had said that, which is why it surprised me when he said "No" rather than saying "No, but I had the same feeling." However, given that it's not even 7am here, I'm not going through episode 2 to verify. Not yet at least. :p

[edit] Scratch that, I had simply misread a subtitle as "I got the feeling this wasn't the first time we'd had thisconversation." (paraphrased) When it was actually something like "I got the feeling this was our first conversation." (paraphrased)

Just ignore me, it's for the best.

And I did see the adult Mikuru in the opening now, and noticed that during her 'scene' in the opening they show a clock and an hourglass that I hadn't noticed before. I did entirely too much pausing during that thing. :p
lockeout

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
All of the thoughts about spoiler[Haruhi being a fragment/manifestation of Kyon's personality] would put a whole new understanding on Haruhi's constant molesting and dressing up of Mikuru if it were true.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9...errr....episode 6 is the deserted island episode PART 1!!! I'll sum up the episode with this animated gif someone made:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/version10/ep-6-avrdy.gif

Of course that's only a fraction of the many awesome and cute moments that happened in this episode (there were quite of bit of them). Loli in the bag obviously wins though!!! Surprised

And this episode ended in a cliffhanger where spoiler[ the master of the mansion, Keiichi got murdered.] Not only that, episode 7 will about episode....8? wtf?!! Of course this is Haruhi we're talking about, spoiler[and this was part of the Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya novel volume, right? So it has to be her will!]

The one thing that's worth noting is that spoiler[as the gang went to see the Keiichi's room, Haruhi was ahead of everyone but then stopped and let the others go ahead her. She also looked rather confused and worried when she saw the dead body.]
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Episdoe 6 was awesome, I was somewhat bored with episdoe 5, but 6 was all fun and games again. woooooweeeee

I was wondering, spoiler[What if the guy isn't really dead, and he simply faked it].
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the 5th episode and I'm dl-ing the 6th one! I can't wait!!!!!!

By far the best show this season and one of the best anime I've seen so far (I don't think it will get ruined though, but let's say we keep a protective line)! Too much fun and it will probably get more serious soon as far as I can see, but fun is good too Very Happy
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Just watched ep. 6.

pretty interesting. I too also thought it was peculiar when Haruhi was a bit shocked at that scene. I honestly thought she would be excited that something mysterious happened. Confused

Or maybe she was acting like a "normal" person and actually be a bit baffled?
SlashZero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe Haruhi isn't as nuts as she seems to be deep down inside?

....Naaah. spoiler[Although she does have a different side to her. If you've read the first novel already you should know.]

Oh, and just .04 more points and Haruhi will break Samurai X's death grip on the #1 Bayesian list. (SHnY has already taken first on the Weighted averages.) Go Haurhiism!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/version10/ep-6-avrdy.gif

Of course that's only a fraction of the many awesome and cute moments that happened in this episode (there were quite of bit of them). Loli in the bag obviously wins though!!! Surprised

LOLz, portable loli, that's great Cool Hmm, it seems that the fansubbers (bless their hearts) had at least one small error in this episode --at 6:45, I believe it references the architect, Gaudi, rather than a gaudy building. The audio has *long descriptive verb phrase* ~mourou shita Gaudi ga ninemurishinagara kettei shita *building*. The placement of ガウディ in the sentence suggests an agent or doer (and there's no "de," which would normally appear after a loanword adjective in a string), and the normal English pronunciation of "gaudy" would be more like ガディ; the audio sounds more like gaudi, with the "u" sound evident. Maybe Koketsu Castle = kokketsu (黒血) Castle = Black Blood Castle --just my guess. It's not like I could do better with this series.
Also, I'm really thinking that there are some literary references at 10:44, when Haruhi asks about stuff in the house, like "a bunch of hidden mechanisms," "the architect died of unnatural causes," "room where any occupant winds up dying," "owner wears a mask" (Phantom of the Opera?), "three gentle sisters reside in his head" ...I'm not really sure, but those sound like things taken out of old (~19th cent.) novels.
Anyway, episode 6 was a lot of fun as usual, and it seems like certain things are crystallizing about spoiler[Haruhi altering the universe with her will, especially when melancholic or bored.] Or maybe not Shocked
I also spent a bit of time watching the OP and ED themes over and over, partially for the great music (and I will learn those dance moves Laughing), and analyzed a few things...
(times taken from episode 6) (I know some of this has been done before)
1:32 (Haruhi) -several diagrams of electrons and positrons, which are fundamental particles of matter and antimatter (e- & e+)
1:36 (Haruhi) various chemical symbols/equations, including a benzene ring (C6H6), Time(universe) = r/v + */H ... , a product series (the big pi symbol on the right side, going from * to infinity (1^(pn-(p-1)) *=can't read or obscured by characters
background lower left has "Suzumiya Haruhi"
1:40 (Haruhi~cheerleader) Clouds, some sort of wheel, and a series of very large numbers, from million (10^6) to at least septillion (10^24) and probably more, but they're unreadable given the screen colors
1:44 (Mikuru~cheerleader) sundial, hourglass, and apparently some overhead shots of buildings. Most of the equations are beyond me, but the famous e=mc^2 is in there, and given Mikuru's nature, they seem like time/relativity equations. Numerous delta letter and triangle symbols, indicating "change," perhaps?
1:48 (Haruhi) numbers again, but this time very small (10^-17 and counting)--background of a nuclear explosion (or maybe a meteor impact?), a computer or mixing board, and maybe the underside of a bridge.
1:51 kind of like DOS command lines, "Yuki.N>at library again," though it could be a command, "Go to library again"

The rest of the scenes are fairly normal (aside from the massive tangle of stars, hearts, flowers, and rainbows), but watch Haruhi's left eye at 2:23, if you haven't already (I know someone has mentioned this). Anyway, those are my random, uneducated guesses about the text and backgrounds in the OP, so don't take them as absolute truth (I'm a language person, not a physics person Embarassed)

Also, from way out in left field--the handshake at the very beginning of the OP (1:15)...an oblique reference to God and Adam on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
So if I'm to understand all the posts in this thread (which is nigh impossible), Haruhi has somehow crossed over from hi skool hijinx to Evangelion-style symbolism and metaphor? Am I missing out on a bunch of stuff just because I'm enjoying watching it and not actively studying it? Is anyone else out there just saying, "Damn, this is a fun show?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
All depends on your definition of a "fun show". Wink

Some people likes to analyze this episode and previous episodes in order to test out their thoughts about Haruhi while others enjoys subtle yet excellently executed comedy scenes which you don't see much in other comedy series. And there's some people who likes both of those aspects. Very Happy
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
and maybe the underside of a bridge.

Look again at that object in the lower right image... notice that the letters "SOS" are repeated across it.

And have a look at the section where Mikuru is in her cheerleader outfit (if you can tear your attention away from her bouncing boobies). See the clock hands spinning backwards? See the sand flowing up in the hourglass?

The scenes in the OP that follow immediately after the "Yuki.N" passage should be considered spoilers (for ep. 8+ of the anime), and I urge those of you who know what they mean to not mention details about them here.

Iron Chef wrote:
So if I'm to understand all the posts in this thread (which is nigh impossible), Haruhi has somehow crossed over from hi skool hijinx to Evangelion-style symbolism and metaphor? Am I missing out on a bunch of stuff just because I'm enjoying watching it and not actively studying it? Is anyone else out there just saying, "Damn, this is a fun show?"

Am I to understand that you consider it impossible for a show to embody both of these aspects?

And please don't mention NGE in this context. There's a difference between an honest intellectual romp like this one, and NGE's hamhanded pretentiousness.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
Darn it, KyoAni has really done something this time.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:36 (Haruhi) various chemical symbols/equations, including a benzene ring (C6H6), Time(universe) = r/v + */H ... , a product series (the big pi symbol on the right side, going from * to infinity (1^(pn-(p-1)) *=can't read or obscured by characters
background lower left has "Suzumiya Haruhi"

Plus several equations featuring [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_constant]Planck's constant[/url] and Schrödinger equation.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:40 (Haruhi~cheerleader) Clouds, some sort of wheel

Looks like a first-generation cavity magnetron. The tower at lower right looks like the one at Trinity site.

Zalis116 wrote:
1:44 (Mikuru~cheerleader) sundial, hourglass, and apparently some overhead shots of buildings. Most of the equations are beyond me, but the famous e=mc^2 is in there, and given Mikuru's nature, they seem like time/relativity equations. Numerous delta letter and triangle symbols, indicating "change," perhaps?

Some thermodynamics equations I couldn't identify. More partial derivatives.... Anime dazed

Zalis116 wrote:
The rest of the scenes are fairly normal (aside from the massive tangle of stars, hearts, flowers, and rainbows), but watch Haruhi's left eye at 2:23, if you haven't already (I know someone has mentioned this).

That reminded me the end of Men in Black.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
and maybe the underside of a bridge.

Look again at that object in the lower right image... notice that the letters "SOS" are repeated across it.

And have a look at the section where Mikuru is in her cheerleader outfit (if you can tear your attention away from her bouncing boobies). See the clock hands spinning backwards? See the sand flowing up in the hourglass?

The scenes in the OP that follow immediately after the "Yuki.N" passage should be considered spoilers (for ep. 8+ of the anime), and I urge those of you who know what they mean to not mention details about them here.

Iron Chef wrote:

Am I to understand that you consider it impossible for a show to embody both of these aspects?

And please don't mention NGE in this context. There's a difference between an honest intellectual romp like this one, and NGE's hamhanded pretentiousness.

- abunai

can I come out of the corner now? D;/
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

I'm totally using "hamhanded pretentiousness" when I review the new Tool CD. But that's another topic for another time.

No, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but I'm shocked to see folks doing minute:second tags for events happening during episodes. I guess part of me wants this to be a light and funny show, as shallow as that may be.

On the other hand, if I go through the first viewing completely ignorant, then I can watch it again with a handy "viewers guide" that's sure to be chock full of interesting tidbits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The light and funny aspect of the show along with Kyon's brilliant narration are enough to give this a masterpiece rating. Those awesome little things that are researchable brings even another dimension to this series that really breaks the limits to its possibilities.

This is really the best anime series that I've seen, what about the rest of you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 213